Area(s) of Expertise
I provide technical support for the laboratories of G.K. Harris and J.C. Allen, where our current research interests include investigation of various food materials for vitamins, phenolics, and other bioactive components. Among other foods, we study North Carolina based products, such as the locally grown muscadines and sweet potatoes. Our research encompasses a variety of nutritionally essential factors in our fresh and processed foods.
- Co-Instructor, Introduction to Food Science (FS201) – Summer
- Co-Instructor, Analytical Techniques in Food and Bioprocessing Sciences (FS403)
- Cervantes-Flores, JC; Sosinski, B; Pecota, KV et. al. (2011) Identification of quantitative trait loci for dry-matter, starch, and beta-carotene content in sweet potato. Molecular Breeding. Vol 28(2); 201-216.
- Birch, AE; Fenner, GP; Watkins, R; Boyd, LC. (2001) Antioxidant Properties of Evening Primrose Seed Extracts. J. Agri Fd. Chem. Vol 49 (9); 4502-4507
- Emenhiser, C., Watkins, R.H., Simunovic, N., Solomons, N., Bulux, J., Barrows, J., and Schwartz, S.J. 1999. Packaging preservation of B-carotene in sweet potato flakes using flexible film and oxygen absorber. J. Food Quality. 2: 63-73.
- Hadden, W.L., Watkins, R.H., Levy, L.W., Regalado, E., Rivadeneira, D.M., Van Breemen, R.B., Schwartz, S.J. 1999. Carotenoid composition of mariglod (Tagetes erecta) flower extract used as nutritional supplement. J. Agri. Fd. Chem. 47(10): 4189-4194.
- Canjura, F.L. Watkins, R.H., Schwartz, S.J. 1999. Color improvement and metallo-cholorophyll complexes in continuous flow aseptically processed peas. JFS. 64(6): 987-990.
- Levy, L.W., Regalado, E., Navarrete, S., Watkins, R.H. 1997. Bixin and Norbixin in Human Plasma: Determination and study of the absorption of a single dose of annatto food color. Analyst. 122(9): 977-980.