Food Science Research Track
Scholars complete lab-based projects that contribute to the advancement of food science in a variety of concentrations. This track is aimed at preparing students for graduate school or careers in research.
- Hone laboratory skills
- Develop team-building competencies with other students and full-time researchers
- Gain presentation experience at an undergraduate research symposium
Field trips to local processors and other research facilities enhance the student experience and introduce them to the food industry.
Food Science Education and Extension Track
This track aims to fill an urgent need for food safety professionals who can effectively teach, train, and influence behaviors across the food supply chain.
Students develop their abilities to:
- Design, deliver, and evaluate instructional materials, which may include virtual reality, animations, and other online activities
- Implement the learning activities into existing education and extension curricula
- Increase their critical thinking skills and interests in food science education and extension careers
Students participate in learning activities that include education and extension development opportunities, field trips to leading North Carolina food industries, and introductions to experts in the fields of food education and extension.
Exclusive Research Track
This track is designed for students interested exclusively in food science research. It is intended to be more project-focused. Students will complete lab-based research projects with associated faculty at either the Plants for Human Health Institute (PHHI) located in Kannapolis, NC or the Center for Marine Sciences and Technology (CMAST) located in Morehead City, NC.
Students will develop skills in:
- Lab and project-based research
- Team-building with other students and full-time researchers
- Presentations at an undergraduate research symposium
Students will participate in weekly virtual learning activities with the other tracks but will not be required to attend field trips.