Area(s) of Expertise
Description of Work
For the first portion of my career, my focus was focused on controlling the aggregation of dairy proteins and understanding their resultant textures. With a shift of focus to teaching undergraduate classes, my interests have moved to increase the understanding of what food science is for both high school and undergraduate students.
Increasing awareness of food science as a field of study and career for secondary education professionals and students
- Food Science and the Consumer: FS 201
- The Science of Food Preparation: FS 330
- The Chemistry of Food and Bioprocessed Materials: FS 402 laboratory
- Hands-on Introductory Experiences for Food Science Majors: FS 201 laboratory (upcoming)
- USDA Grant received: Generating more food scientists from diverse communities and rural backgrounds through food science literacy development of secondary educators (2021)
- Wolfpack Pride Award (2014)
- Award of Excellence from NCSU College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (2011)
- Institute of Food Technologist
- Institute of Food Technologist Dogwood Section
- Phi Tau Sigma Food Science and Technology Honor Society
- Morphological and Masticatory Performance Variation of Mouth Behavior Groups. J. Texture Studies In preparation.
- Wilson, A., Luck, P., Woods, C., Foegeding, E. A., Morgenstern, M. 2016. Comparison of jaw tracker by single video with 3D electromagnetic system. J. Food Engineering. In press.
- Luck, P., Vardhanabhuti, B., Yong, Y., Laundon, T., Barbano, D. Foegeding, E. 2013. Comparison of functional properties of 34% and 80% whey protein and milk serum protein concentrates. J. Dairy Science, 96:5522.
- Vardhanabhuti, B., Kelly, M., Luck, P., Drake, M., Foegeding, E.A. 2010. Role of charge interactions on astringency of whey proteins at low pH. J. of Dairy Science, 93:1890.
- Luck, P. and Foegeding, E. A. 2008. The role of copper in protein foams. Food Biophysics, 3:255.
- Beecher, J., Drake, M., Luck, P., Foegeding E. A. 2008. Factors regulating astringency of whey protein beverages. J. Dairy Science, 91:2553.
- Carunchia Whetstine, M., Luck, P., Drake, M., Foegeding, E. A., Gerard, P., Barbano, D. 2007. Characterization of flavor and texture development within large (291 kg) blocks of Cheddar cheese. J Dairy Science,90:3091.
- Whetstine, M., Luck, P., Drake, M., Foegeding, E.A., Gerard, P., Barbano, D. 2007. Characterization of flavor and texture development within large (291 kg) blocks of Cheddar cheese. J. Dairy Science, 90:3091.
- Foegeding, E. A., Luck, P. J., and Davis, J.P. 2006. Factors determining the physical properties of protein foams. Food Hydrocolloids. 20:284-292.
- Pernell, C., Luck, P., Foegeding, E. A., Daubert, C. 2002. Heat-induced changes in angel food cakes containing egg-white protein or whey protein isolate. J. Food Science, 67:2945.
- Pernell, C.W., Foegeding, E.A., Luck, P., Davis, J.P. 2002. Properties of whey and egg white protein foams. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemiccal and Engineering Aspects, 204:9-21.
- Luck, P., Lanier, T.C., Daubert, C.R., Kwanyuen, P. 2002. Viscoelastic behavior of commercially processed soy isolate pastes during heating and cooling. J. Food Science, 67(4):1379-1382.
- Luck, P., Bray, N., Foegeding E. A. 2002. Factors determining yield stress and overrun of whey protein foam. J. Food Science, 67: 1677.
- Foegeding, E. Allen, Luck, P., Davis, Jack P. Aerated Products: Protein foams, angel food cakes and whipped cream. In Functionality of Structures in Soft Food Materials. Ed. Marcel Paques and George van Aken. Marcel Dekker. 2014.
- Foegeding, E. Allen and Luck, Paige. 2002. In Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences. Ed. Hubert Roginski, Patrick F. Fox, and John W. Fuquay. Ed. Academic Press, New York.
- Erin M. Franks, Trey W. Moberly, Melissa Jeltema, Paige J. Luck, Jacqueline Beckley, E. Allen Foegeding, Christopher J. Vinyard. 2021. The Impact of Food Texture Preference and Mouth Behavior Group on Oral Processing. Presented at the Food Oral Processing Conference
- C.W. Pernell, P.J. Luck, E. Allen Foegeding and C.R. Daubert. 2002. Comparison of Bulk Physical Properties of Angel Food Cakes Containing Egg White Protein or Whey Protein Isolate. Presented at Annual American Dairy Science Association meeting in Quebec, Canada.
M.S., Food Science, North Carolina State University (2000)
B.S., Food Science, North Carolina State University (1997)