Area(s) of Expertise
I specialize in qualitative methodologies, particularly in-depth individual interviews and focus groups. I apply these methodologies when conducting needs assessments, as well as program evaluations. I enjoy acting as a consultant for other investigators from around the country, training them in techniques needed to create rigorous and trustworthy qualitative research.
My vision for educational change includes offering students challenging coursework in non-traditional settings, in addition to providing them opportunities for engaging in quality research and service. With this vision in mind, I encourage my students to pursue excellence inside and outside of the classroom, while providing them with support to reach their goals.
In addition to incorporating research and professional development into my courses, I have developed Nutrition NUTS, a student outreach program that serves children from low-income families and their parents. Through Nutrition NUTS, students visit Head Start preschools to read nutrition and health-related books to three- to five-year-old children, teach their parents about health and wellness topics, or provide nutrition education training to their preschool teachers. Each semester, approximately 30 students from all over campus dedicate time each week to serve their community through Nutrition NUTS. In return, they gain respect for cultural diversity, community programming, and many public health issues facing our society.
- NTR 220: Food and Culture (Summer)
- NTR 490: Senior Capstone in Nutrition (Fall and Spring)
- NTR 601/801: Nutrition Seminar (Fall and Spring)
- Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching and Learning with Technology Award, member of the FBNS/DELTA collaborative with Dr. Natalie Cooke, Mr. Michael Cuales, Ms. Cathi Phillips, and Dr. Jessica White, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences nominee, North Carolina State University, 2020-2021
- Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences nominee, North Carolina State University, 2017-2018
- Food & Agricultural Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award-Southern Region Recipient, United States Department of Agriculture, 2017
- Early Professional Award, Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2014
- Community-Engaged Faculty Fellow, North Carolina State University
- Academy of Outstanding Teachers, North Carolina State University, member since 2013
- Outstanding Teacher Award, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Representative, North Carolina State University, 2012-2013
- Alumni Association Outstanding Teacher Award, North Carolina State University, 2012-2013
- At Home in the World Faculty Fellow, Office of Institutional Equality and Diversity, North Carolina State University, 2013-2014
- Opal Mann Green Engagement and Scholarship Award, member of the Gardening and Nutrition PIECES collaborative, North Carolina State University, 2011
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, (2000-present), Registered # 950175
- Public Health/ Community Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group
- Research Dietetic Practice Group
- American Society for Nutrition, (2005-present)
- Public Health/ Community Nutrition Research Interest Section
- Nutrition Education Research Interest Section
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior, (2008-present)
- Higher Education Special Interest Division
- Nutrition Education for Children Special Interest Division
- Public Health Nutrition Special Interest Division
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, (2009-present)- Lifetime Member
- North Carolina Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, (2008-present)
- Stage VC and Goodell LS. (2020) Nutrition Communicators Read and Interpret Research. In BJ Mayfield (Eds.), Communicating Nutrition: The Authoritative Guide (pp. 79-103) Chicago, IL: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Goodell LS, Cooke NK, and Stage VC. (2017) The Basics of Qualitative Research. In KE Drummond and A Reyes (Eds.), Nutrition Research: Concepts and Applications (pp. 243-284). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Stage VC, Cooke NK, and Goodell LS. (2017) Qualitative Research Designs. In KE Drummond and A Reyes (Eds.), Nutrition Research: Concepts and Applications (pp. 285-300). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Cooke NK, Goodell LS, and Stage VC. (2017) How to Evaluate Qualitative Research. In KE Drummond and A Reyes (Eds.), Nutrition Research: Concepts and Applications (pp. 301-316). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Power TG, Hughes SO, Goodell LS, Johnson SL, Jaramillo Duran JA, Williams K, Beck AD, and Frankel LA. (2017) Feeding Practices of Low-Income Mothers: How Do the Compare to Current Recommendations. In A Hassan (Ed.), Pediatric Behavioral Nutrition Factors (pp. 129-152). Oakville, ON: Canada Apple Academic Press. DOI: 10.1201/9781315365732-8
Refereed Journal Articles:
- Boyles J, Peterson A, Hedge A, Goodell LS, Jilcott Pitts S, Burkholder S, Stage VC. Food-based STEAM Learning Activities Reduce Decline in Preschoolers Skin Carotenoid Status. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Epub 2020 Dec 24. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2020.10.017
- Alsulami HA, Goodell LS. Understanding Preschoolers’ Anticipation of Trying A New Food and Past Food Experiences. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Epub 2020 Dec 11. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2020.10.020
- Stage VC, Bayles J, Jones L, Hegde A, Dev D, Goodell LS. Eastern North Carolina Head Start Teachers’ Personal and Professional Experiences with Healthy Eating and Physical Activity: A Qualitative Exploration. Journal of Public Health Nutrition. Epub 2020 Nov 16. doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980020003687
- Kaufman AA, Jordan DL, Reberg-Horton C, Dean LL, Shew BB, Brandenberg RL, Anco D, Mehl H, Taylor S, Balota M, Goodell LS, and Allen J. Identifying Interest, Risks, and Impressions of Organic Peanut Production: A Survey of Conventional Farmers in the Virginia-Carolina Region. Crop, Forage, and Turf Management. Epub 2020 June 14. doi: 10.1002/cft2.20042.
- Hughes SO, Power TG, Beck A, Betz D, Goodell LS, Hopwood V, Jaramillo JA, Langian J, Diaz Martinez A, Micheli N, Olivera Y, Overath I, Parker L, Ramos G, Peralta Thompson Y, Johnson SL. Short term effects of an obesity prevention program promoting eating self-regulation in low-income Hispanic children. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Epub 2020 Jan 6. 2020 March. S1499-4046(19)31137-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2019.12.001.
- Singletary NV, Goodell LS, Fogleman AD. Exploring North Carolina Family and Consumer Sciences Teachers’ Attitudes Towards Breastfeeding Education and Infant Feeding Education Practices. Journal of Human Lactation. Epub 2019 Aug 14. https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334419867104.
- McMillen JD, Swick SD, Frazier LM, Bishop M, Goodell LS. Teachers’ Perceptions of Sustainable Integration of Outdoor Teaching and Learning into Head Start Classrooms: A Grounded Theory Approach. Journal of Early Childhood Research. Epub 2019 June 18. https://doi.org/10.1177/1476718X19856378
- Stage V, Downing C, Hegde A, Dev D, Goodell LS. Comparison of parent and child rankings of fruit and vegetable liking to assess parent accuracy as proxy reporters. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 2019 Mar-Apr; 58(2): 166-186. Epub 2019 Feb. doi: 10.1080/03670244.2019.1572002.
- Power TG, Silva Garcia K, Beck A, Goodell LS, Johnson SL, Hughes SO. Observed and self-reported assessments of Caregivers’ Feeding Styles: Variable- and person-centered approaches for examining relationships with children’s eating behavior. Appetite. Epub 2018 Aug 9. 2018 Nov; 1(130): 174-183. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2018.08.010.
- Garcia Silva K, Power TG, Beck AD, Fisher JO, Goodell LS, Johnson SL, O’Connor TM, Hughes SO. Stability in the Feeding Practices and Styles of Low-Income Mothers: Questionnaire and Observational Analyses. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2018 March 23; 15:28. doi: 10.1186/s12966-018-0656-6.
- Cooke NK, Ash SL, and Goodell LS. Medical Students’ Perceived Educational Needs to Preventing and Treating Childhood Obesity. Education for Health. 2017 May-Aug; 30(2):156-162.
- Ellison RG, Greer BP, Burney JL, Goodell LS, Bower KB, Nicklas JC, Lou Z, Kavanagh K. Observations and conversations: A mixed-methods approach to describing home-preparation of infant formula among a sample of low-income mothers. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2017 Jul – Aug;49(7):579-587.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2017.04.027.
- Cooke NK, Pursifull AK, Jones KM, and Goodell LS. Layered Learning, Eustress, and Support: Impact of a Pre-Service-Learning Training on Students’ Self-Efficacy in Teaching in the Community. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. 2017 July; 17(3):1-18.
- Stage VC, Wilkerson K, Hedge A, Lisson S, Babatunde OT, and Goodell LS. Head Start administrator and teacher perceptions of parental influence on preschool children and nutrition education. Journal of Early Childhood Research. Epub 2017 June 15. 2018 June; 16 (2): 160-175. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1476718X17705415
- Singletary N, Chetwynd E, Goodell LS, and Fogleman AP. Stakeholder Views of Breastfeeding Education in Schools: A Review of the Literature. International Breastfeeding Journal. Epub 2017 March. DOI: 10.1186/s13006-017-0106-0
- Peterson A, Goodell LS, Hegde A, and Stage VC. Teacher Perceptions of Multilevel Policies and the Influence on Nutrition Education in North Carolina Head Start Preschools. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Epub 2017 March. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2017.01.003
- Mita SC, Gray SA, and Goodell LS. What can Extension professionals do to help preschool teachers create a positive mealtime environment? The Forum for Family and Consumer Issues. 2016 Dec; 20(1). https://ncsu.edu/ffci/publications/2016/v21-n1-2016-spring/mita-gray-goodell.php
- Lisson S, Goodell LS, Dev D, Wilkerson K, and Stage V. Availability and Use of Nutrition Education Resources in North Carolina-based Head Start Preschool Programs. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2016 Oct; 48(9): 655-663.e1. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2016.07.016.
- Elias C, Power TG, Beck AE, Goodell LS, Johnson SL, Papaioannou M, Hughes SO. Depressive Symptoms and Perceptions of Child Difficulty are Associated with Less Responsive Feeding Behaviors in an Observational Study of Low-income Mothers. Childhood Obesity. Epub 2016 Sept 23. DOI: 10.1089/chi.2016.0125
- Goodell LS, Johnson SL, Antono AC, Power TG, Hughes SO. Strategies Low-Income Parents Use to Overcome Their Children’s Food Refusal. Maternal and Child Health Journal. Epub 2016 Jul 21. DOI: 10.1007/s10995-016-2094-x.
- Goodell LS, Cooke NK, and Ash SL. A Qualitative Assessment of the Impact of a Service-Learning Course on Students’ Discipline-Specific Self-Efficacy. Journal of Community Engagement and Higher Education. 2016 July; 8(2): 28-40.
- Goodell LS, Stage VC, and Cooke NK. Improving the Trustworthiness of Qualitative Research through Standardization and Training Practices. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Epub 2016 Jul 7. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2016.06.001
- Hughes SO, Power TG, Beck A, Betz D, Calodich S, Goodell LS, Hill LG, Hill R, Jaramillo JA, Johnson SL, Lanigan J, Lawrence A, Diaz Martinez A, Nesbit M, Overath I, Parker L, and Ullrich-French S. Strategies for Effective Eating Development—SEEDS: Design of an obesity prevention program to promote healthy food preferences and eating self-regulation in low-income children. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2016 Jun; 48(6):405-418.e1. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2016.04.388
- Perrin MT, Goodell LS, Fogleman AD, Pettus H, Bodenheimer AL, Palmquist AEL. Expanding the Supply of Pasteurized Donor Milk: Understanding Why Peer-to-Peer Milk Sharing Donors Don’t Donate to Milk Banks. Journal of Human Lactation. Epub 2016 February. DOI: 10.1177/0890334415627024.
- Power, TG, Hughes, SO, Goodell, LS, Johnson, SL, Jaramillo Duran, JA, Williams, K, Eaton, A, and Frankel, L. Feeding Practices of Low-Income Mothers: How do They Compare to Current Recommendations? International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. Epub 2015 March 7; 12(34): DOI: 10.1186/s12966-015-0179-3.
- Cooke, NK, Ash, SL, Wilson, KL, and Goodell, LS. A Qualitative Assessment of Pre-Healthcare Undergraduates’ Perceptions of Childhood Obesity to Inform Premedical Curricular Changes. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture. 2015 March; 59(1):18-23.
- Cooke, NK, Ash, SL, Nietfeld, JL, Fogleman, AD, and Goodell, LS. Impact of a Service-Learning-Based Community Nutrition Course on Students’ Teaching Self-Efficacy. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture. 2015 March; 59(1):28-33.
- Mita, SC, Gray, SA, and Goodell, LS. An Explanatory Model of a Positive Mealtime Environment in a Preschool Setting. Appetite. Epub 2015 Feb 26. DIO: 1016/j.appet.2015.02.031.
- Cooke, NK, Nietfeld, JL, and Goodell, LS. The Development and Validation of the Childhood Obesity Prevention Self-Efficacy Survey (COP-SE). Childhood Obesity. 2015 April. 11(2):114-121. Epub 2015 Jan 13.
- Johnson, SL, Goodell, LS, Williams, K, Power, TG, Hughes, SO. Getting my Child to Eat the Right Amount: Mothers’ Considerations When Deciding How Much Food to Offer their Child at a Meal. Appetite. 2015 May. 88:24-32. Epub 2014 Dec 12. DOI: 10.1016/j.appet.2014.12.004.
- Leak, TM, Benavente, L, Goodell, LS, Lassiter, A, Jones, L, and Bowen S. EFNEP Graduates’ Perspective on the Use of Social Media to Supplement Nutrition Education: Focus Group Findings in Active Users. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2014 May-Jun;46(3):203-8. Epub 2014 March 4. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2014.01.006.
- Perrin, MT, Goodell, LS, Allen, JC, and Fogleman, AD. A Mixed-Methods Observational Study of Human Milk Sharing Communities on Facebook. Breastfeeding Medicine. 2014 Apr;9(3):128-34. Epub 2014 Feb 3. DOI:10.1089/bfm.2013.0114.
- Johnson, SJ, Hughes, SO, Cui, X, Li, X, Allison, D, Liu, L, Goodell, LS, Nicklas, TA, Power, T, Vollrath, KL. Portion sizes for children are determined by parental characteristics and the amounts parents serve themselves. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014 Apr;99(4):763-70. Epub 2014 January 29. DOI: 10.3945/ajcn.113.078311.
- Carraway-Stage, V, Henson, SR, Dipper, A, Spangler, H, Ash, SL, and Goodell, LS. Understanding the State of Nutrition Education in the Head Start Classroom: A Qualitative Approach. American Journal of Health Education.2014 Jan; 45:1, 52-62. Epub 2014 Jan 8. DOI: 10.1080/19325037.2013.853000.
- Carraway-Stage, V, Spangler, H, Borges, M and Goodell, LS. Evaluation of a Pictorial Method to Assess Fruit and Vegetable Liking among Preschool Children. Appetite. 2014 Apr;75:11-20. Epub 2013 Dec 21. DOI: 10.1016/j.appet.2013.12.011.
- Mita, S, Li, E and Goodell, LS. A Qualitative Investigation of Teachers’ Information, Motivation, and Behavioral Skills for Increasing Fruits and Vegetables Consumption in Preschoolers. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2013 Nov-Dec; 45(6):793-9. Epub 2013 Jun 22. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2013.05.001.
- Nicklas, TA, O’Neil, CE, Stuff, J, Goodell, LS, Liu, Y, and Martin, CK. Validity and Feasibility of a Digital Diet Estimation Method for Use with Preschool Children: A Pilot Study. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2012 Nov-Dec; 44(6):618-23, Epub 2012 Jun 23. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2011.12.001.
- Goodell, LS, Cooke, NK, and Ash, SL. Cooperative Learning Through In-Class Team Work: An Approach to Classroom Instruction in a Life Cycle Nutrition Course. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Journal. 2012 June; 56(2):68-75.
- Grossman J, Sherard, M, Prohn, S, Bradley, L, Goodell, S, and Andrew, K. An Exploratory Analysis of Student-Community Interactions in Urban Agriculture. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement. 2012 June; 16(2): 179-196.
- Goodell, LS, Pierce, MB, Amico, KR, and Ferris, AM. Parental information, motivation, and behavioral skills correlate with child sweetened beverage consumption. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2012 May; 44(3):240-5, Epub 2011 May 31. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2010.07.012.
- Reicks M, Degeneffe D, Ghosh K, Bruhn C, Goodell LS, Gunther C, Auld G, Ballejos M, Boushey C, Cluskey M, Misner S, Olson B, Richards R, Wong SS, and Zaghloul S. Parent calcium-rich-food practices/perceptions and calcium intake among parents and their early adolescent children. Public Health Nutrition. 2012 Feb;15(2):331-40. Epub 2011 June 1. DOI: 10.1017/S1368980011001133
- Reicks M, Edlefsen M, Goodell LS, Richards R, Wong SS, Auld G, Boushey C, Bruhn C, Cluskey M, Misner S, Olson B, Zaghhoul S. Individual and Family Correlates of Calcium-Rich Food Intake among Parents of Early Adolescent Children. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2011 Mar;111(3):376-84. DOI: 10.1016/j.jada.2010.11.020
- Nicklas, TA, Goh ET, Goodell, LS, Acuff, D, Reiher, R, Buday, R, and Ottenbacher, A. Impact of television commercials on food preferences of preschoolers. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2011 Jan-Feb; 43(1): 35-41. Epub 2010 Sep 16. DOI:10.1016/j.jneb.2009.11.007.
- Goodell, LS, Goh, ET, Hughes, SO, and Nicklas, TA. Caregivers’ Attitudes Regarding Portion Size. The Forum for Family and Consumer Issues. Spring 2010; 15(1). On-line: http://ncsu.edu/ffci/publications/2010/v15-n1-2010-spring/index-v15-n1-March-2010.php.
- Goodell, LS, Wakefield, DB, Ferris, AM. Rapid Weight Gain during the First Year of Life Predicts Obesity in 2-3 Year Olds from a Low-Income, Minority Family. Journal of Community Health. 2009 Oct; 34(5):370-5. DIO: 10.1007/s10900-009-9164-6.
- Goodell, LS, Bravo, CM, Pierce, MB, Ferris, AM. Parental Perceptions of Overweight During Early Childhood. Qualitative Health Research. 2008 Nov; 18(1): 1548-1555. DIO: 10.1177/1049732308325537.
- Swanson, BJ, Roman-Shriver, CR, Shriver, BJ, Goodell, LS. A Comparison Between Improvers and Non-Improvers Among Children with Anemia Enrolled in the WIC Program. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2007 Sep; 11(5): 447-59. Epub 2007 Feb 21. DIO: 10.1007/s10995-007-0189-0.
Manuscripts Accepted for Publication:
- Stage VC, Goodell LS, Chase S, McDonald S, Hegde A, Bayles J, Jones L. Eating Smart and Moving More for Head Start: A Pilot Study. Journal of Extension. Accepted Oct 27, 2020.
Ph.D., Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut (2007)
Dietetic Internship, Cornell University (2003)
M.S., Food and Nutrition, Texas Tech University (2002)
B.S., Biology, Hardin-Simmons University (1999)