Commercialization and Entrepreneurship
North Carolina boasts one of the world’s most fertile agricultural technology startup ecosystems, set in a state rich in agricultural history and diversity. At the North Carolina Plant Sciences Initiative, we are making that environment even better.
Catalyzing a Culture of Entrepreneurship
N.C. PSI students, faculty and partners work together to bring great ideas to market. That takes a culture of innovation and NC State’s entrepreneurial infrastructure. We strive to grow entrepreneurs with grit and determination to improve the world through plant science innovation. Our goal: fostering a culture of entrepreneurship that accelerates new discoveries and technologies and launches new startups, all in the interest of advancing agriculture in North Carolina and beyond.
NC State’s cutting-edge tools, investor networks and institutional support – including a tech transfer office that’s among the best in the nation and a Chancellor’s Innovation Fund that supports short-term commercially focused research – empower interdisciplinary teams to take big ideas and run with them.
7 N.C. PSI Startup Companies
since April 2022
#2 in Research Commercialization
NC State ranking among universities without a medical school
29 Intellectual Property Disclosures
at NC State in plant sciences
Startups Get Their Start Here
Our Current Startups
|Soteria Formulations Inc.
|Elysia Creative Biology
A Place to Incubate
Connecting University Resources
In partnership with the NC State Office of Research Commercialization, we facilitate the commercialization of research discoveries.
- Actively scout for disruptive technologies and make connections early in faculty development of technology.
- Work with N.C. PSI–developed innovations and IP to advance them along the commercialization pathway to maximize their value.
- Optimize the entrepreneurial environment for plant-science business startups, including building closer ties with the agtech community.
- Coordinate commercialization support programs.
- Leverage existing faculty and student technology entrepreneurship training and develop additional incubator and accelerator programming as needed.
- Raise innovation funds focused on the agtech sector to secure access to earlier-stage pre-seed and seed capital, advanced technologies and early-stage business enterprise and later equity capital and growth rounds.
- Develop a network of industry mentors focused on plant sciences.
For more information
Kathleen Pitcher, Ph.D.
Director of Innovation Partnerships
firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.513.2073