Associate Professor/Extension Specialist
Kilgore Hall 150
Area(s) of Expertise
Extension (80%), research (10%), and teaching (10%) responsibilities for tree fruit. Research program includes apple rootstocks, peaches and alternative tree fruit crops, primarily applied in nature. Research interests are in the area of cultural management strategies, rootstock performance in the southeast, peach thinning, planting systems and orchard floor management.
- American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS)
- International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS)
- Southern Region ASHS
- American Pomological Society
- NC Association of Cooperative Extension Specialists
- Epsilon Sigma Phi – Xi Chapter
- Alpha Zeta
- International Fruit Tree Association (IFTA)
- Michigan State Horticultural Society
Honors and Awards
- Extension Publication Award, SR-ASHS, 1996
- John E. Hutchison Extension Award, SR-ASHS, 1996
- Extension Publication Award, SR-ASHS, 2000
- NC Apple Growers Honorary Life Membership for “Outstanding Service”- 2001
- NC Pecan Growers Distinguished Educator Award for “insightful leadership”, 2001
- Associate Professor and Extension Specialist, Department of Horticultural Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1996-Present.
- Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist, Department of Horticultural Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1990-1996.
- Extension Specialist, Department of Horticultural Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1989-1990.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Horticulture, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 1985-1989.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Horticulture, Michigan State University, Located at the Institute of Food and Agricultural Science (IFAS), Lake Alfred, FL, January 1984 – March 1984.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Horticulture, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 1982-1984.
PhD Horticulture Michigan State University 1989
MS Horticulture Michigan State University 1985
BS Agricultural Engineering Technology Michigan State University 1982
BS Horticulture Michigan State University 1982
- Early Effect of Pine Biochar on Peach-Tree Planting on Microbial Community Composition and Enzymatic Activity , APPLIED SCIENCES-BASEL (2021)
- Vegetation-free width and irrigation impact peach tree growth, fruit yield, fruit size, and incidence of hemipteran insect damage , HortScience (2015)
- Evaluating apple replant strategies in the Southeastern United States , X international symposium on integrating canopy, rootstock and environmental physiology in orchard systems (2014)
- Variation of carotenoids and polyphenolics in peach and implications on breeding for modified phytochemical profiles , Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science (2014)
- Abscisic acid applications in peach , Vii international peach symposium (2012)
- Postharvest response of peach and nectarine cultivars to 1-methylcyclopropene treatment , Vii international peach symposium (2012)
- eApples: A case study in using eXtension to increase access to research-based information , HortTechnology (2012)
- Effects of 1-Methylcyclopropene on firmness loss and the development of rots in apple fruit kept in farm markets or at elevated temperatures , HortTechnology (2011)
- 'Law Rome' and 'Golden Delicious' apples differ in their response to preharvest and postharvest 1-Methylcyclopropene treatment combinations , HortScience (2009)
- Preharvest 1-methyl cyclopropene delays fruit maturity and reduces softening and superficial scald of apples during long-term storage , HortScience (2008)