Area(s) of Expertise
I am the Landscape Extension Specialist and I also teach plant identification. I am working with the county extension agents, the urban/suburban communities and the landscape industry, and will certainly serve any others who need my assistance.
I have worked extensively in education, state and local government, and industry over the years and have developed many interests.
My expertise lies in woody plant identification and selection, maintenance, and planting. I am also interested in soil and water issues in the landscape, and am a Certified Arborist. I belong to the International Society of Arboriculture, and pursue many interests in this area.
My research efforts concentrate on soil and water issues in the landscape, as well as field trials directed at specific genera.
Current Duties and activities
Currently I have a 70% extension and 30% teaching position. Fall semester 2007 I taught HS 011, Plant Identification for the Agricultural Institute. I will continue to teach this course every fall, at least in the near future.
My primary focus is landscape extension. I will be assisting the industry, county extension agents, community and county leaders and colleagues.
I also will conduct research primarily in soil and water use issues.
- Fair, B.A. 2005 Growth Response and Adaptability of Acer rubrum and Acer xfreemanii Cultivars to Soil Compaction. PhD Dissertation, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- Fair, B.A. 1994. Effectiveness of Community Forestry Grants in Pennsylvania. M.F.R. Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA.
- Still, D., B. A. Fair and H. Gerhold. 1996. Community Forestry Grants in Pennsylvania: How effective are they. J. of Forestry. January Vol. 94 (1): 26-30.
- Fair, B.A. 1998. To Prune or Not to Prune… The Ohio Woodland Journal Vol. 5 (4): 6-9.
- H. So, C. Shin, H. Kim, J. Yoo, H.Choi, M. Hur, B. Fair, E. Kong, and Y. Hyun, et al. 2002. Ten Million trees: Making a Livable City.
- Characterization of nutrient disorders of Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Lime Light' in silica-sand culture, International symposium on growing media and soilless cultivation (2014)
- Residential landscape water use in 13 North Carolina communities, Journal American Water Works Association (2013)
- Height control of 'Hot Lips' Hybrid sage to flurprimidol substrate drench, HortTechnology (2012)
PhD, Landscape Horticulture, The Ohio State University (2005)
MFR (Masters of Forest Resources), Urban Forestry, The Pennsylvania State University, (1994)
BS, Forest Science, The Pennsylvania State University, (1980)