Area(s) of Expertise
Her primary passion is teaching and mentoring students and completing research through her teaching and mentoring. Her research interests are related to improving maternal and infant health care by providing evidence-based research to inform health care protocols and policies.
She is involved in improving support for appropriate infant feeding as past-chair of the North Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition and previous board member of the Human Milk Banking Association of North America, both non-profit organizations.
- Public Health Nutrition
- Maternal and Child Nutrition
- Clinical Concepts in Infant Nutrition Lab
- Extension Courses
- Public Health Perspectives in Infant Nutrition
- Clinical Concepts in Infant Nutrition
In 2020, April was selected as a recipient by CALS for Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor. In 2018, she won the NC State University and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) Outstanding Teacher Award.
- North Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA)
- Association of Teachers of Maternal and Child Health
- Lima H, Vogel K, Hampel D, Wagner-Gillespie M, Fogleman A. The Associations Between Light Exposure During Pumping and Holder Pasteurization and the Macronutrient and Vitamin Concentrations in Human Milk. Journal of Human Lactation. April 15, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334420906828
- Singletary N, Goodell, S, Fogleman, A. Exploring North Carolina Family and Consumer Science Teachers’ Attitudes Towards Breastfeeding and Infant Education Practices. Journal of Human Lactation. August 14, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334419867104
Ph.D., Nutrition Science, North Carolina State University (2011)
RD, Registered Dietician, University of Northern Colorado (2011)
IBCLC, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2010)
M.S., Nutrition Science, North Carolina State University (2008)
B.S., Biological Sciences with Nutrition Concentration, North Carolina State University (2006)