Dr. Yencho has research responsibilities (100%) in sweetpotato and potato breeding and genetics. Research emphasis is on developing disease and insect resistant table-stock, processing and specialty-type sweetpotatoes and potatoes adapted to North Carolina’s growing conditions with improved root and tuber quality, respectively.
Research interests include plant breeding, plant resistance to insects and pathogens, use of wild and/or related plant germplasm as a source of commercially important traits, applications of genomics, molecular biology and plant biochemistry to plant breeding and the production of renewable, bio-based, value-added products in sweetpotato and potato, and international agricultural development.
PhD Entomology/Plant Breeding (Minor) Cornell University 1993
MS Entomology Washington State University 1985
BS Bioscience Pennsylvania State University 1982
- A Win-Win Situation: Performance and Adaptability of Petite Sweetpotato Production in a Temperate Region , HORTICULTURAE (2022)
- Breedbase: a digital ecosystem for modern plant breeding , G3-GENES GENOMES GENETICS (2022)
- Combining ability and heritability analysis of sweetpotato weevil resistance, root yield, and dry matter content in sweetpotato , FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE (2022)
- Genotype-independent plant transformation , HORTICULTURE RESEARCH (2022)
- Phased, chromosome-scale genome assemblies of tetraploid potato reveal a complex genome, transcriptome, and predicted proteome landscape underpinning genetic diversity , MOLECULAR PLANT (2022)
- Breeding Progress for Vitamin A, Iron and Zinc Biofortification, Drought Tolerance, and Sweetpotato Virus Disease Resistance in Sweetpotato , Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems (2021)
- Computer vision approach to characterize size and shape phenotypes of horticultural crops using high-throughput imagery , Computers and Electronics in Agriculture (2021)
- Discovery of a major QTL for root-knot nematode (Meloidogyne incognita) resistance in cultivated sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas) , Theoretical and Applied Genetics (2021)
- Internal defect scanning of sweetpotatoes using interactance spectroscopy , PLOS ONE (2021)
- Linkage and QTL mapping for tuber shape and specific gravity in a tetraploid mapping population of potato representing the russet market class , BMC PLANT BIOLOGY (2021)