Every year the Marsha K. Prestage Agricultural Scholarship offers one full-tuition scholarship to an outstanding student with plans to major in production agriculture. Founded by Marsha K. Prestage, treasurer and director of Prestage Farms, the scholarship is designed to inspire outstanding students to pursue careers in production agriculture by relieving some of the burden of the cost of higher education. The first of its kind, this award provides a unique opportunity for students with demonstrated academic excellence, leadership and a desire to advance the state’s production agriculture industry.
Prestage Scholarship Today. Prestigious Career Tomorrow.
The Heart and Vision Behind the Marsha K. Prestage Scholarship Program
Recognized as champions for higher education, Prestage Farms secretary-treasurer, Marsha K. Prestage, is the founder of NC State's first production agricultural scholarship. The scholarship program honors the family's commitment to producing the next generation of leaders in North Carolina agriculture.
Marsha K. Prestage and CALS student Susan Jones discuss the important role scholarships play in advancing the future of the agriculture industry.
Prestage scholars challenge themselves – inside and outside the classroom. Driven and inquisitive, they push themselves to excel beyond even their own expectations.
Prestage scholars have a keen interest in agriculture and make a positive difference with leadership roles in organizations such as 4-H and FFA, or through other creative endeavors.
Prestage scholars not only possess scholarly achievements and leadership capability, but their commitment to others and to the common good is demonstrated in what they do.
Scholarship Benefits and Requirements
Your Future Starts Now
What are Production Agriculture Careers?
It’s an exciting time to explore careers in production agriculture. From product sales and marketing to production management and quality control, Prestage Scholars will have their choice of dynamic, fulfilling careers.
One eligible incoming freshman will receive a scholarship with a total value of over $40,000. The award covers the cost of tuition, fees and books and is renewable for up to four years or eight semesters.
To be eligible for the Prestage Agricultural Scholarship, you must receive an invitation to apply. Invitations to apply for the scholarship will arrive once early admission notifications are mailed in January 2018.
Applicants are required to submit an application online and upload the documents and information below:
- High school transcript
- Three (3) references from non-family members (applicants will enter the name and email address of each reference)
If a selected recipient accepts the scholarship, he or she is also committing to attend NC State University and major in an area of agriculture production.
Qualifications for an invitation to apply include:
- Apply to NC State University by the October 15 early action deadline
- Accepted for freshman admission at NC State (notifications for early action applicants are sent January 30)
- Academic merit: 3.9 unweighted GPA, 1200 SAT (math and critical reading combined) or 27 ACT (composite)
- Evidence of leadership activities in agriculture
- North Carolina residency, with preference to those residing in rural areas
- Major in an area of production agriculture – example majors include:
- Agricultural Business Management
- Agricultural Education
- Agricultural & Environmental Technology
- Animal Science (not pre-veterinary intent)
- Biological & Agricultural Engineering
- Extension Education
- Poultry Science
One student will be selected as a Prestage Scholar per academic year. Notification will be sent in April via email.
Once selected, the Prestage Scholar will be required to:
- Remain in one of the majors listed above
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Attend annual donor events
- Continue in leadership activities in the agricultural community (through student organizations, volunteerism, etc.)