Prestage Scholarship Today. Prestigious Career Tomorrow.
Every year the Marsha K. Prestage Agricultural Scholarship offers one full-tuition scholarship to an outstanding student with plans to major in production agriculture. Founded by Marsha K. Prestage, treasurer and director of Prestage Farms, the scholarship is designed to inspire outstanding students to pursue careers in production agriculture by relieving some of the burdens of the cost of higher education. The first of its kind, this award provides a unique opportunity for students with demonstrated academic excellence, leadership and a desire to advance the state’s production agriculture industry.
What Makes a Prestage Agricultural Scholar?
Prestage scholars are bold and ambitious leaders who want to solve the grand challenges of a complicated world. They think beyond boundaries and do the extraordinary.
Scholarship Benefits and Requirements
One student will be selected as a Prestage Scholar per academic year. Notification will be sent in April via email.
One eligible incoming freshman will receive a scholarship with a total value of over $40,000. The award covers the cost of tuition, fees and books and is renewable for up to four years or eight semesters.
To be eligible for the Prestage Agricultural Scholarship, you must receive an invitation to apply. Invitations to apply for the scholarship will arrive once early admission notifications are mailed in January 2018.
Applicants are required to submit an application online and upload the documents and information below:
- High school transcript
- Three (3) references from non-family members (applicants will enter the name and email address of each reference)
If a selected recipient accepts the scholarship, he or she is also committing to attend NC State University and major in an area of agriculture production.
- Apply to NC State University by the October 15 early action deadline
- Accepted for freshman admission at NC State (notifications for early action applicants are sent January 30)
- Academic merit: 3.9 unweighted GPA, 1200 SAT (math and critical reading combined) or 27 ACT (composite)
- Evidence of leadership activities in agriculture
- North Carolina residency, with preference to those residing in rural areas
- Major in an area of production agriculture – example majors include:
- Agricultural Business Management
- Agricultural Education
- Agricultural and Environmental Technology
- Animal Science (not pre-veterinary intent)
- Biological and Agricultural Engineering
- Extension Education
- Poultry Science
Once selected, the Prestage Scholar will be required to:
- Remain in one of the majors listed above
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Attend annual donor events
- Continue in leadership activities in the agricultural community (through student organizations, volunteerism, etc.)
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the qualifications for the Marsha K. Prestage Scholarship?
The Marsha K. Prestage Scholarship will be awarded to one student per academic year with the following qualifications:
- NC resident
- From a rural location
- Production agriculture major (Agricultural Business Management, Agricultural Education, Agricultural and Environmental Technology, Animal Science (not pre-veterinary intent), Biological and Agricultural Engineering intent, Extension Education and Poultry Science)
- Leadership in agriculture
- Strong academic merit:
- 3.9 unweighted GPA
- 1200 SAT (math and critical reading combined) or 27 ACT composite
- Applied by the October early action deadline, and marked “early action” on the application
- Admitted for freshman admission
The Marsha K. Prestage Scholarship application is by invitation only. Students meeting the above qualifications will be invited to apply after the university has extended offers of admission.
I did not receive an invitation to apply for the Marsha K. Prestage Scholarship. Are there other funding options available?
Only students invited to apply for the Prestage scholarship will receive access to the online application. However, CALS has over 325 other scholarships for which we invite students to complete one application for all scholarships. Once students are accepted to NC State University, they can visit Pack Assist to find the CALS Scholarship application on Pack Assist.
I don’t live in a rural county, but I think my location qualifies as rural. Can I still apply?
If invited to apply, you can describe your location and the impact you felt academically due to living in a rural area by your standards.
What part of my student bill does the Marsha K. Prestage Scholarship cover?
The scholarship covers in-state tuition, fees and cost of books for each academic year for four years. The award will be divided evenly between the fall and spring semesters.