Staff members play an important role in meeting the college’s overall goals, and the CALS Leadership Office provides programs for their professional and leadership development. Partnerships with CALS Personnel, CALS Office of Diversity and Inclusion and others make these programs possible.
Individual to Leadership Program
Given the work and the responsibilities of our SHRA and non-faculty EHRA leaders, the CALS Leadership Office has launched the Individual to Leader (i2L) Development Program for Managers and Supervisors. The i2L-Managers will establish a path in the college that builds the foundation for its pipeline of leaders while helping managers move from being an individual contributor to a leader responsible for the welfare and outcomes of their followers.
The goal of the i2L-Managers is to provide focused, in-depth developmental opportunities to strengthen and encourage leadership in participants. The program is divided into six, 2.5-hour sessions and offers training to assist supervisors who:
- Are interested in both informal and formal leadership roles within the college or other areas of campus.
- Have an interest in gaining insight into how they manage and lead so they can become more effective within their professional and personal roles.
- Want to improve their efficiency in day-to-day management.
- Desire to learn how to improve communication and conflict management skills.
- Wish to be more effective with their team(s).
- Are open to gaining self-awareness so they can become better leaders.
- Aspire to serve as a positive role model for their staff.
- Have the willingness to learn, stretch and grow their understanding of themselves and how they can best lead others.
Summer 2019 Program
- June 20, June 27, July 11, (Friday!) July 19, July 25, August 1
- 512 Brickhaven, Room 203
- 2:00-4:30 p.m.
CALS Proud Staff I
CALS Proud Staff is a two-tiered staff leadership development program that focuses on personal and professional leadership skills. The program got its start after CALS Staff Senate representatives shared with Dean Linton the need for leadership development to increase their work performance and job satisfaction. With funding from the CALS Dean’s office, the CALS Leadership and CALS Personnel offices coordinate two tiers of training. Offered in the fall, CALS Proud Staff I focuses on building community, trust, networks, accountability and value.
CALS Proud Staff II
CALS Proud Staff II is open to all those who have participated in CALS Proud Staff I. CALS Proud Staff II, which takes place in the spring, focuses on deeper issues of interest to the previous participants and may include topics such as work/life balance, time management, team building, effective communication and conflict management.
Contact CALS Leadership Office
Have questions about our leadership programs or how to take part? Call or email Rhonda Sutton, director of College Leadership Programs:
Rhonda Sutton, Ph.D.
Director of College Leadership Programs
CALS Leadership Office
Patterson Hall, 210E
Campus Box 7602