Dr. Yencho has research responsibilities (100%) in sweetpotato and potato breeding and genetics. Research emphasis is on developing disease and insect resistant table-stock, processing and specialty-type sweetpotatoes and potatoes adapted to North Carolina’s growing conditions with improved root and tuber quality, respectively.
Research interests include plant breeding, plant resistance to insects and pathogens, use of wild and/or related plant germplasm as a source of commercially important traits, applications of genomics, molecular biology and plant biochemistry to plant breeding and the production of renewable, bio-based, value-added products in sweetpotato and potato, and international agricultural development.
PhD Entomology/Plant Breeding (Minor) Cornell University 1993
MS Entomology Washington State University 1985
BS Bioscience Pennsylvania State University 1982
- Assessment of the potential of wild Ipomoea spp. for the improvement of drought tolerance in cultivated sweetpotato Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam , Crop Science (2021)
- Breeding Progress for Vitamin A, Iron and Zinc Biofortification, Drought Tolerance, and Sweetpotato Virus Disease Resistance in Sweetpotato , FRONTIERS IN SUSTAINABLE FOOD SYSTEMS (2021)
- Computer vision approach to characterize size and shape phenotypes of horticultural crops using high-throughput imagery , COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS IN AGRICULTURE (2021)
- Discovery of a major QTL for root-knot nematode (Meloidogyne incognita) resistance in cultivated sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas) , THEORETICAL AND APPLIED GENETICS (2021)
- Internal defect scanning of sweetpotatoes using interactance spectroscopy , PLOS ONE (2021)
- Linkage and QTL mapping for tuber shape and specific gravity in a tetraploid mapping population of potato representing the russet market class , BMC PLANT BIOLOGY (2021)
- Screening Sweetpotato Genotypes for Resistance to a North Carolina Isolate of Meloidogyne enterolobii , PLANT DISEASE (2021)
- ngsComposer: an automated pipeline for empirically based NGS data quality filtering , BRIEFINGS IN BIOINFORMATICS (2021)
- Proposal to change the conserved type of Ipomoea, nom. cons. (Convolvulaceae) , TAXON (2020)
- Quantitative trait locus mapping for common scab resistance in a tetraploid potato full-sib population , (2020)