- Herbicide Behavior In Plants
- Research Techniques In Weed Science
Natural Products And Nutraceuticals
- Allelochemical In Rye (Secale Cereale): Biosynthesis And Regulation. Plants Make An Array Of Chemicals That Function In Protecting The Plant From Insects, Pathogens, Predators, And Neighbors In Competition For Resources. One Particular Chemical, The Benzoxazinone DIBOA, Is Found In Grasses (Including Rye) And Some Dicot Plants. DIBOA Is Toxic To Pathogens, Insects, And Other Plants. We Are Studying The Factors That Regulate The Biosynthesis Of DIBOA And Other Allelochemicals. One Goal Is To Develop A Rye Cover Cropping Management System That Will Provide Consistent And Effective Weed Suppression.
- Resveratrol And Anti-Oxidant Levels In Grapes. There Is An Increasing Recognition That The Anti-Oxidants In Grapes, Juice, And Wine Are Very Healthy For Humans. Resveratrol Is A Compound Present In The Grape Skins, And Seeds That Is A Very Interesting Anti-Oxicant. We Are Studying Factors That Regulate The Levels Of Resveratrol And Other Anti-Oxidants In Grapes.
- Medicinal Herbs. Research Studying Factors That Regulate Human-Active Phytochemicals Is Also In Progress.
Weed Science And Plant Growth Regulators
- Herbicide Resistance. Populations Of Palmer Amaranth In NC Have Developed Resistance To The Herbicide Glyphosate (Roundup). In Collaboration With Faculty In Crop Science (Alan York, David Jordan, Mike Burton) We Have Initiated An Effort To Understand The Mechanism Of Glyphosate Resistance In Palmer Amaranth.
- Research Includes Herbicide And Plant Growth Regulator Mechanism Of Action, Metabolism, Herbicide Selectivity And Resistance. These Studies Include The Physiological, Biochemical, And Molecular Factors That Modify Herbicide And Plant Growth Regulator Performance.
- Much Of This Research Has Focused On The Enzymology Of Herbicide Metabolism And Its Induction By Xenobiotics. Past Research Was Directed Toward Characterization Of Constitutive And Induced Plant Cytochrome P450 Monooxygenases Involved In Herbicide Detoxification.
- Also, Research Concerning The Physiological And Biochemical Aspects Of “Bio-Herbicides” (Biological Control Of Weeds) Has Been Investigated.
NC State Libraries
Ph.D., Agronomy, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1986)
MS, Botany and Plant Pathology, Colorado State University (1983)
BS, Ornamental Horticulture, California Polytechnic State University (1979)