Former administration for the Undergraduate Teaching Program which involves coordinating all academic programs including advising, faculty teaching assignments, student recruitment and retention, curriculum maintenance and development, etc. Responsibilities also include teaching and advising.
Former Undergraduate Coordinator: 1987 – 2015
Day to day operation of 2 and 4-year undergraduate program in Department of Horticultural Science including teaching and adviser assignments, course and curriculum revision and review, scholarship program, internship program, recruitment, graduation exercises, departmental representation, and committee work pertaining to teaching effectiveness and improvement.
Interim Director of the JC Raulston Arboretum. Jan. 1997 -Jan. 1999
Host of “In the Garden”
“In the Garden” television program appeared on UNC-TV, Saturday’s at noon as an introductory gardening show for the home gardener.
Former courses taught
- HS 100, Home Horticulture
- HS 201, Principles of Horticulture
- HS 371, Interior Plantscapes
- HS 290, Perspectives in Horticulture
- HS 495E Garden Center Operations
- Southern Region, ASHS, Committees; Education Section Chair, 1998/99
- National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture
- President 1998/99, Vice President, 1997/98….Committees; Teaching Award Committee, Southern Region Director, 1989-92
- Pi Alpha Xi
Honors and Awards
- Named NC State University Outstanding Teacher in 1984,1988, and again in 1996.
- NC State Alumni Distinguished Professor Award in 1989
- National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Teacher
Fellow Award in 1988, NACTA Teaching Award of Merit in 1991, the
Southern Region NACTA Outstanding Teacher Award in 1993 and the
Ensminger-Interstate Outstanding Teacher Award in 1994.
- American Society for Horticultural Science Distinguished Undergraduate Educator Award in 1994 and ASHS (Southern Region) Outstanding Teacher Award, 1992
M.S., Ohio State University (1981)
B.S., University of Massachusetts (1979)