- This event has passed.
Emerging Research Showcase: Long-Term Carbon Sequestration
February 21 | 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm EST
NC State University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences invites you to attend the next fully in-person Emerging Research Showcase: Long-Term Carbon Sequestration. Join us on Tuesday, February 21, 2023 starting at 3:00pm EST as we turn the focus on technologies that “permanently” pull carbon out of the air and the implications for managing climate change.
Come engage with carbon sequestration experts from industry and academia! Our expert speakers will cover recent advancements and barriers to large scale removal of carbon from the atmosphere. Emphasis will be placed on the permanence, or durability, of the carbon once removed from the atmosphere. Specific sinks of carbon that will be covered include agricultural soils, forests, oceans, underground geologic formations and bioproducts. Both technical and economic implications for capturing and storing carbon in these various sinks will be discussed.
3:00 p.m. – Welcome and the View from Industry
- Welcome and CALS Overview: Steve Lommel, CALS Associate Dean and Director of NC Agricultural Research Service
- Welcome: Dr. Adrian Percy, Executive Director of NC State’s Plant Sciences Initiative
- The Case for Long-term Sequestration: William Joe Sagues, Assistant Professor, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, NC State University
- Unlocking the Global Potential of Soil Organic Carbon: Arlene Cotie, VP of Global Ecosystem Product Management, Bayer Crop Science
- Emerging Voluntary Markets for Carbon Removal: Dan Sanchez, Chief Scientist for Biomass Carbon Removal and Storage, Carbon Direct
4:00 p.m. – Faculty Research Briefs
- Alex Woodley: Trade-offs and Opportunities for Climate-Smart Agriculture
- Christopher Osburn: Coastal Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal (mCDR)
- Sonja Salmon: Biocatalytic Direct Air Capture
- Minliang Yang: Mitigating Carbon Emissions Through Value-added Bioproducts
- Justin Baker: Quantifying Economic Tradeoffs of Carbon Sequestration in the Global Agriculture and Forestry Systems
4:30 p.m. – Panel Discussion and Student “Two Minute Pitches”
5:00 p.m. – Formal Program Concludes / Networking Reception
The #EmergingResearch Showcase series gives you the opportunity to hear new research partnership opportunities. Productive outcomes from the events include but are not limited to: philanthropic support, sponsored research, defining commercialization potential, or joining a research team as an external partner.
REGISTER AT THE WEBSITE LINK BELOW
* In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities. Direct accommodation requests to the NC Agricultural Research Service office at 919-515-2717. Requests can be served more effectively if notice is provided at least 10 days before the event.
- Submit an event to the University calendar
Be sure to select the department “College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.” Events submitted to “College of Agriculture and Life Sciences” will be reviewed and added to the appropriate calendars.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities. Direct accommodation requests to the event organizer listed on the event.