Academics FAQ

Have questions? Chances are good, we might already have the answer you're looking for. Explore the frequently asked questions below, and if you don't find your answer, let us know.

First-Year Students

MCR (Minimum Course Requirements) is a standard set by the University of North Carolina system for the minimum number and types of each class expected of each incoming UNC-system student. Please visit the UNC System of Higher Education’s website for more clarification.
There is not a minimum score for either test, but average scores and GPAs for incoming students are competitive! Please note that combined scores do NOT include the written portion of either test.

Once admitted, contact the Residency Office at 919-513-1287 and visit their website for forms. If this classification occurs, and you are not admitted, no further action is required.

AP and IB scores should be sent electronically from the testing center to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. View this current list of accepted scores. Questions regarding how scores will be applied to your degree audit can be directed to your advisor once you arrive.

If you apply to NC State by October 15 and are admitted on January 30, you will be considered for merit-based scholarships through the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Admitted CALS students are also eligible for specific CALS scholarships.

For further questions, please contact Undergraduate Admissions.

Transfer Students

All transfer students must declare a major when applying to NC State. You can select any major except the following:

  •     First-Year College
  •     Elementary Education
  •     Any undeclared major

There is no maximum of credits that can be transferred from other schools to NC State.

This could be due to a multitude of reasons. Please contact Undergraduate Admissions for clarification.

Yes! Contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for help with this process.

Yes. Anyone who has attended a college class, even for one day, after high school graduation is considered a transfer student.

For further questions, please contact Undergraduate Admissions.