Resumes and Cover Letters
Your resume and cover letter are the first parts of your personal marketing package - the tools you use to market yourself to potential employers.
Even if you aren’t ready to search for a job or internship, creating a resume and keeping it current will show you the steps you’ve already taken toward accomplishing your goals, and any gaps you need to fill.
A cover letter should almost always accompany your resume. Your cover letter should introduce you and your resume, but don’t repeat the same thing on both documents.
Below are resources to help you get started on resumes and cover letters. We recommend you make an appointment with CALS Career Services to have your resume and cover letter reviewed – we can provide feedback to make your resume stand out.
- Resume Template – Example templates to build your resume
- Bullet Point Writing Guide – Craft impactful accomplishment statements
- Action Verbs List – Action words to help write your accomplishment statements
- The Professional Summary – Get tips for perfecting this section
- Resume Skills Activity – Use this exercise to develop ideas for your resume
- Resume Content Guide – Guidelines for creating each section of your resume
Cover Letter Resources
- Sample Cover Letters – See examples of successful cover letters
- Cover Letter Checklist – Did you remember these details?
- Cover Letters Content Guide – What to include in a cover lettr