Skip to main content
Students in a classroom at NC State

Academic Difficulty

Sometimes students encounter challenges with their studies that, if left unchecked, can prevent them from achieving their academic goals.

Academic Warning

Students who fail to meet the academic requirements in their major and university academic standards will receive an academic warning.

According to university regulations and rules, most students on academic warning must:

  • Maintain a term GPA of at least 2.0 for every subsequent fall, spring, and summer term of enrollment, until they achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0
  • Meet with their academic advisors during the first four (4) weeks of the fall or spring terms to discuss their plans for academic success

If you are having academic difficulty, do not wait until you receive an academic warning. Contact your personal advisor as soon as possible or visit the CALS advising team in 111 Patterson Hall.

Student Responsibilities

Students must meet all CALS and university graduation requirements. You can take ownership of your education in several ways:

  • Remain current with the university, college, and departmental curricular requirements.
  • Be aware of academic deadlines and academic policy changes.
  • Check-in with your advisor in the first year, during registration periods, and at other times, as needed.
  • Contact the University Tutorial Center for free tutoring for certain 100- and 200- level classes.

Resources and Tips

We are here to help you succeed at CALS.

Two NC State students outside of a campus building

Schedule Revisions and Withdrawals

Late schedule revisions occur when students add, drop, or modify a class after university deadlines.

Schedule Revisions Required Forms

  • Schedule Revision Form: Required for all late schedule revisions. The form is available in departmental offices and the Academic Programs Office.
  • Supplemental Data Form: Required to add a course after the deadline, drop below full-time, change to credit only, or change from credit to audit after the deadline. The instructor signs this form first; the advisor signs section 3.
  • Dropping Below Full-Time Form: This form lists possible implications for dropping below full-time standing. Students must sign to indicate that they are aware of these issues

Deadline: Students must submit all revision requests to the CALS Academic Programs Office by 5:00 pm on the Friday two weeks before the last day of classes.(Academic Programs can time stamp forms, and Registration and Records will honor that stamp.)

Certain late schedule revisions require additional documentation for approval:

  • Dropping a course
  • Changing a course to credit only
  • Changing a course from credit to audit (This change can be approved if there is an extenuating circumstance, for example, a medical condition or personal crisis or hardship.)

The documentation must come from a medical or counseling professional. Depending on the situation, supporting documentation from religious officials, funeral homes, and employers may be acceptable. Students with such hardships but no documentation should visit the Counseling Center for assistance.

In most cases, these courses will remain on the transcript but will be assigned a grade of “W” for withdrawal, and will not affect the student’s GPA. Review the Adding and Dropping Courses policy for more information.

Students with extenuating circumstances can initiate the official withdrawal process after the enrollment deadline through the Counseling Center. See the list of conditions permissible to withdraw from the university after the census date.