Online Graduate Courses
The Horticultural Science Program offers a number of online horticulture courses. These may be taken as part of a certificate or degree program, or by non-degree-seeking students on a course-by-course basis. For those interested in taking individual courses without enrolling in a degree or certificate program, you must first enroll as a Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS) student. To learn more about enrolling as a PBS student or registering for courses, visit our Apply page.
Visit NC State’s Graduate Online and Distance Education tuition rates page for detailed information about the fee schedule for online courses. The current estimated cost per credit hour for 2021-2022 (North Carolina residents) is $533.07 for graduate-level courses.
Below is a partial list of applicable courses offered online. To jump to a course description, click the course in the list below. To view the most up-to-date course listings, please visit the Registration and Records website. Please note that not all courses are offered every semester, and may be canceled due to low student enrollment. Not all courses listed in the NC State Course Catalog can be offered online.
List of Online Horticulture Courses
- HS 523 – Viticulture
- HS 532 – Introduction to Permaculture
- HS/CS 541 – Plant Breeding Methods
- HS 550 – Environmental Nursery Production
- HS/FS 562 – Postharvest Physiology
- HS 583 – Advanced Floral Crop Production and Handling
- HS 590 – Special Topics: Plant Breeding Overview
- HS 590 – Special Topics: Temperate-Zone Tree Fruits – Physiology and Culture
- HS 601 – Professional Presentation Skills in Horticultural Science
- HS 693 – Master’s Supervised Research
- HS 701 – Plant Metabolism
- HS 703 – Breeding Asexually Propagated Crops
- HS 705 – Physiology of Flowering
- HS 706 – Fruit Development and Postharvest Physiology
- HS 707 – Environmental Stress Physiology
- HS/CS 729 – Herbicide Behavior In Plants
- HS 790 – Special Topics: Diagnostic Criteria for Plant Nutrition
- HS 790 – Special Topics: Integrated Breeding Databases