CALS Comm Workshops
Our departments have great stories. We can help empower you to share them.
Once a month, the CALS Communications team hosts a workshop for all CALS departmental and unit communicators and communications enthusiasts. These sessions focus on best practices, tips and tools to ensure we are on-brand and effective in telling our college’s story.
We also seek to provide a space for networking and discussion between communicators who might not otherwise come in contact.
2021 CALS Comm Workshop Schedule
During these hour-long workshops presenters from CALS Communications and other units around campus will provide the latest practical guidance on a variety of communications topics.
Workshops are typically the second Thursday of the month from 10 to 11 a.m.
|Kicking Off A Video Series | Register Now||Justin Moore and Julie Hayworth-Perman||5/13|
|The Beginning and the End – Every Day Creative Writing||D’Lyn Ford||6/10|
|Video Building from Scratch||Chris Liotta||7/8|
|What’s Trending on Social Media||CALS Social Media Specialist||8/12|
|Diversity and Inclusion – Workshopping Communication Solutions||Elizabeth Snively||9/9|
|Accessibility in InDesign and Issuu||Patty Mercer and Debra Ireland||10/14|
|Creating a Student Recruitment Marketing Plan||Machaela Netzley||11/11|
Catch-up on previous CALS Comm Workshops on YouTube.
Busy-Day Communications Strategy
Our goal is to make your life easier while making sure your department’s amazing stories get the coverage they deserve.
- Have great students? Send them this Q&A sheet to fill out (make sure to view in Adobe Reader), proof and post.
- Have great faculty? We have a Q&A template for them.
- Amazing alums? Same idea, different questions.
Ask for headshots with all of these, maybe write a brief introduction, and you have good content with less than 30 minutes of work.
The best way to save time is to plan and know the CALS message.
- Here’s the CALS Brand Promise and Core Messages – keep these in mind as you write, and you’ll never go wrong.
- Here is your strategic monthly communications plan at a glance – five easy pieces: CALS Comm Monthly Content Strategy. Four of those will take you half an hour or less.
- When you start to write, use the CALS Comm Post Planner to save time by quickly organizing your thoughts to stay on-message.
Recorded Sessions and PowerPoints
Unable to attend a session, or want to revisit discussions from past workshops? We have materials for you to view.
- Presentation – ‘A Beginner’s Mind’: Creative Writing Workshop – January 2020
- Video – Using Strategic Brand and Tone When Writing for NC State – October 2019
- Presentation – Using Strategic Brand and Tone When Writing for NC State – October 2019
- PowerPoint – I’m Creating a Video…Now What? – August 2019
- Video – Want to Take Better Pictures? – June 2019
- PowerPoint – Want to Take Better Pictures? – June 2019
- Video – How to Stand Out in a Saturated World – February 2019
- Video – Social Media: What Not to Do – January 2019
- Video – Photography Tricks, Tips and Basics for Research or Marketing – September 28, 2017
- Video – Social Media Tips and Tricks – April 27, 2017
- PowerPoint – Department Websites Update – February 23, 2017
- PowerPoint – Guide to Publishing Events and News on Department Websites – February 23, 2017
- Video – 30 Minutes or Less: Busy-Day Communications – May 19, 2016
- Video – 5 Minutes or Less: Busy-Day Communications – May 19, 2016
- Video – Four Steps to Telling Fantastic Stories – April 21, 2016
- Video – Building a Communications Strategy, Part 1 and Part 2 – March 17, 2016