CALS Comm Workshops
Our departments have great stories. We can help empower you to share them.
Once a month, the CALS Communications team hosts a workshop for all CALS departmental and unit communicators and communications enthusiasts. These sessions focus on best practices, tips and tools to ensure we are on-brand and effective in telling our college’s story.
We also seek to provide a space for networking and discussion between communicators who might not otherwise come in contact.
2021 CALS Comm Workshop Schedule
We’re planning our 2021 workshops. Tune back in on Dec. 16, 2020 to see what topics we’ll cover.
Busy-Day Communications Strategy
Our goal is to make your life easier while making sure your department’s amazing stories get the coverage they deserve.
- Have great students? Send them this Q&A sheet to fill out (make sure to view in Adobe Reader), proof and post.
- Have great faculty? We have a Q&A template for them.
- Amazing alums? Same idea, different questions.
Ask for headshots with all of these, maybe write a brief introduction, and you have good content with less than 30 minutes of work.
The best way to save time is to plan and know the CALS message.
- Here’s the CALS Brand Promise and Core Messages – keep these in mind as you write, and you’ll never go wrong.
- Here is your strategic monthly communications plan at a glance – five easy pieces: CALS Comm Monthly Content Strategy. Four of those will take you half an hour or less.
- When you start to write, use the CALS Comm Post Planner to save time by quickly organizing your thoughts to stay on-message.
Recorded Sessions and PowerPoints
Unable to attend a session, or want to revisit discussions from past workshops? We have materials for you to view.
- Presentation – ‘A Beginner’s Mind’: Creative Writing Workshop – January 2020
- Video – Using Strategic Brand and Tone When Writing for NC State – October 2019
- Presentation – Using Strategic Brand and Tone When Writing for NC State – October 2019
- PowerPoint – I’m Creating a Video…Now What? – August 2019
- Video – Want to Take Better Pictures? – June 2019
- PowerPoint – Want to Take Better Pictures? – June 2019
- Video – How to Stand Out in a Saturated World – February 2019
- Video – Social Media: What Not to Do – January 2019
- Video – Photography Tricks, Tips and Basics for Research or Marketing – September 28, 2017
- Video – Social Media Tips and Tricks – April 27, 2017
- PowerPoint – Department Websites Update – February 23, 2017
- PowerPoint – Guide to Publishing Events and News on Department Websites – February 23, 2017
- Video – 30 Minutes or Less: Busy-Day Communications – May 19, 2016
- Video – 5 Minutes or Less: Busy-Day Communications – May 19, 2016
- PowerPoint – Busy-Day Communications – May 19, 2016
- Video – Four Steps to Telling Fantastic Stories – April 21, 2016
- PowerPoint – Four Steps to Telling Fantastic Stories – April 21, 2016
- Video – Building a Communications Strategy, Part 1 and Part 2 – March 17, 2016
- PowerPoint – Building a Communications Strategy – March 17, 2016