Agriculture and Resource Economics have been investigating several issues related to animal waste. One is how regulation of animal waste is impacting the hog industry. Other research looks at some of economic implications of agricultural engineering solutions to manage animal waste. Several economists in the program have been researching the impact of hog farm locations on real estate property values.
An overview and links to major components (phases) of the research conducted.
In the summer and fall of 2000, the Attorney General of North Carolina entered into agreements first with Smithfield Foods and its subsidiaries and then with Premium Standard Farms under which the two companies consented to fund development of environmentally superior waste management technologies for use on North Carolina swine farms owned by the companies.
Summary Reports for Phase Two
Phase Two reports (dated July 25, 2005) generated under the Smithfield Agreement; includes overview and links to a summary report, and links to three appendices with numerous reports including 11 economic reports related to methodology and cost and returns of technologies evaluated in Phase 1 and in Phase Two.
Phase Three and Final reports
Phase Three and Final reports (dated March 8, 2006) generated under the Smithfield Agreement; includes overview and links to a summary report, and links to five appendices with numerous reports including 11 economic reports related to cost and returns of technologies evaluated in Phase One and in Phase Two.
Follow-up studies on Terra Blue technology
A follow-up study on 2nd generation Terra Blue Technology
A follow-up study on 2nd generation Terra Blue Technology (formerly called Super Soils USA) dated November 1, 2007: includes links to a summary report and two appendices including an economic report.
Follow-up Study on 3rd generation Terra Blue Technology
Follow-up Study on 3rd generation Terra Blue technology dated August 19, 2013.
- Determination of Economic Feasibility
- Benefits of Adopting Environmentally Superior Swine Waste Management Technologies in North Carolina: An Environmental and Economic Assessment (RTI)
- Summary reports of economic feasibility
- Market Modeling of the Effects of Adoption of New Swine Waste Management Technologies in North Carolina
- Costs and Returns Analysis of Manure Management Systems Evaluated Under the North Carolina Attorney General Agreements (Methods)
- Appendices A-I of the Costs and Returns Methods document
- Appendix B.1b Costs and Returns for New Anaerobic Lagoon and Sprayfield Systems
- Appendix B.1c Costs and Returns for Barham Farm (Retrofitted In-ground Anaerobic Digester)
- Appendix B.1d Cost and Returns for Ekokan (Retrofitted Aerobic System)
- Appendix B.1e Costs and Returns for ReCip (Retrofitted mixed system)
- Appendix B.1f Costs and Returns for BEST (FAN + TFS and Filtramat + TFS) Retrofitted solids separation and aerobic system
- Appendix B.1g Costs and Returns for Belt Systems (Lake Wheeler Road and van Kempen-Koger) Retrofitted underfloor belt systems
- Appendix B.1h Costs and Returns for High Solids Anaerobic Digester (HSAD) (Off farm system)
- Appendix B.1i Cost and Returns Report for Super Soils On-Farm (Retrofitted multi-function System)
- Summary Report including summary of economic feasibility
- Appendix B.2 Costs and Returns for ANT Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR) (Retrofitted System)
- Appendix B.3 Costs and Returns for Constructed Wetlands (Retrofitted System)
- Appendix B.4 Costs and Returns for Environmental Technologies (Sustainable NC-Frontline Farmers) (Retrofitted System)
- Appendix B.5 Costs and Returns for ISSUES Aerobic Blanket System (ABS) (Retrofitted System)
- Appendix B.6 Costs and Returns for ISSUES Permeable Cover System (PCS) (Retrofitted System)
- Appendix B.7 Costs and Returns for ISSUES RENEW (Retrofitted System)
- Appendix B.8 Costs and Returns for BEST Idaho (Centralized Fluidized Bed Combustion Facility) (Off farm System)
- Appendix B.9 Costs and Returns for Gasifier (RE-Cycle) (Off farm System)
- Appendix B.10 Costs and Returns for Insect Biomass from Solids (black solider fly) (Retrofitted System)
- Appendix B.11 Costs and Returns for Super Soils Composting Facility (Off Farm System)
- Follow-up Report Costs and Returns of Terra Blue 2nd Generation (formerly called Super Soils)
- Follow-up Report Costs and Returns of Terra Blue 3rd Generation (formerly called Super Soils)
In the news
Sep 23, 2020
Breaking Down CFAP 2.0
This article explains CFAP payments for livestock, dairy and poultry.
Aug 7, 2020
Grain Marketing Webinar Resources
Nick Piggott provided information and marketing strategies for small grain in Northeastern NC.
Aug 27, 2020
Climate Change, Crop Yields and Risk Management for Farmers
Farmers are adjusting to the way climate change affects crop yield.
Jul 27, 2020
Pork, Pandemics and Politics: U.S. Agricultural Trade with China
In a year of volatile markets and culminating trade agreements, what can we expect from U.S. exports to China of agricultural products? If the past few months are any indicator, we may need to expect the unexpected.