1902 – 1962
Herman Connor Kennett was born in Guilford County, North Carolina, and was a dedicated leader and promoter of the poultry industry. Mr. Kennett graduated from Pleasant Garden High School in 1920, received a B.S. degree in Poultry Science from North Carolina State in 1924, and a M.S. degree in Poultry Science in 1926. He worked for the North Carolina Department of Agriculture from 1926 through 1932. He became manager of the Poultry Department of Central Carolina Farmers Cooperative in 1932 and Assistant General Manager in 1945.
Connor Kennett found time to serve effectively in many capacities in the poultry industry as well as in other organizations. He served as President of the North Carolina Poultry Council, director and president of the National Broiler Council, and director and president of the Southeastern Poultry and Egg Association. He also served on the National Poultry Advisory Committee to the Secretary of Agriculture.
Mr. Kennett was a true pioneer in North Carolina poultry industry, and the North Carolina Poultry Federation is pleased to honor him as a member of the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
Charles Odell Lovette was born on July 20, 1900, in Wilkes County, North Carolina. He married Ila Ruth Bumgarner in 1924 and they had seven children. He bought a T-Model Ford truck and went into the produce buying and selling business which included chickens and eggs, operating as C. O. Lovette Produce Company.
In 1926, he built one of the first broiler houses in the area with a capacity of 300 chickens. This was the beginning of the commercial broiler business in the Wilkes area with C. O. Lovette as one of the innovators.
Mr. Lovette trained all seven of his children in the poultry business and they are all employees of Holly Farms Poultry Industries, Inc., which had its real beginning with Charles Odell Lovette in 1926.
Mr. Lovette realized the great economic potential of poultry to Wilkes County and to the State of North Carolina. He was a real prime mover and innovator in starting the poultry industry in northwest North Carolina. From the humble beginning of a 300 bird broiler house, he provided the inspiration leading to the development of Holly Farms Poultry Industries, one of America’s largest broiler producers.
C. O. Lovette was a true pioneer in the North Carolina poultry industry and the North Carolina is pleased to honor him as a member of the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
1889 – 1960
Roy S. Dearstyne was born in New York State, and came to North Carolina as a bacteriologist for the city of Charlotte in 1919. His son, Roy H. Dearstyne, still resides in Raleigh.
Mr. Dearstyne received his B.S. degree from the University of Maryland in 1917and a M.S. degree from North Carolina State College in 1924. He was a faculty member of the Poultry Science Department at North Carolina State for 35 years — from 1922 – 1956. During the latter 25 years of this period, he served as Head of the Department.
Professor Dearstyue was one of the early pioneers in developing the poultry industry in North Carolina. He was far ahead of his contemporaries in realizing the 2 great economic potential for poultry in the state.
Professor Dearstyne was a true pioneer in the North Carolina poultry industry, and the North Carolina Poultry Federation is pleased to honor him as a member of the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
Lester Brown graduated from Pilot Mountain High School in 1926. The following January, he attended a short poultry course at North Carolina State College in Raleigh and won a silver cup for being the best judge of poultry at the end of the course.A few years after high school, Lester Brown bought a small farm on the outskirts of Pilot Mountain and built his first chicken house. He always desired quality egg production and never lost sight of this as a goal. He was one of the first hatcherymen in the state to begin a blood-testing program. Progress with quality was one of his goals.
From a small beginning of 100 chicks from the valley of Virginia, his business grew so that at one time he was hatching approximately two and one-half million chicks per year. The motto of his hatchery was “Mountain Chicks are Huskier.”
Truly, Lester Ray Brown was an innovator and pioneer in helping with the development of North Carolina’s poultry industry. The North Carolina Poultry Federation is pleased to honor him as a member of the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
Clyde Lathorp Fore was born January 11, 1894 in Wilmington, North Carolina. At the age of five, Mr. Fore’s family moved to Charlotte. He graduated from Charlotte High School in 1912 and from the University of North Carolina in 1916. He served in active duty in France during World War I as a First Lieutenant.
In 1922, he married Ruth Edwards and in 1923 moved to Siler City and was employed with Siler City Mills.
Mr. Fore visioned a great potential in the broiler business and in 1925, 300 Bar#A20000 Rock chicks paid off, much to the astonishment of skeptical neighbors. From this small beginning, Chatham County was now in the broiler business. This experience changed the lives of hund#A20000s and even thousands of farmers and was to add millions to the income of North Carolinians.
Mr. Fore was an active member of a number of poultry organizations, including the National Broiler Council and the North Carolina Feed Manufacturers Association. He also served as town commissioner, as a Rotarian, and is presently Elder Emeritus of the Siler City Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Fore’s contributions to the growth and development of the poultry industry in North Carolina, his pioneer spirit, his ingenuity, and his many other accomplishments highly qualify him for induction into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
Thomas Otto Minton was born October 20, 1895. In 1916, he married Belva Eller and two children were born of this union.
Mr. Minton built first poultry house in 1923 to hold 150 pullets. He started with the Pure Tom Barron Strain English White Leghorns from England for breeding. These birds were rated as the best breeders in the world at that time. He was one of the first in North Carolina to begin blood-testing birds.
During the late 1930’s and early 1940’s, Mr. Minton had the largest commercial breeding farm in the South and the third largest in the United States. On a 500 acre farm, he had a capacity for 35,000 layers, 30,000 pullets, and incubator facilities for 164,000 hatching eggs. He also ran a milling company which manufactured feed that was used on his own farm in addition to commercial selling.
In 1937-38 as a result of a Record of Performance Director being kept by the State of North Carolina, Champion Farm had the highest hen record in North Carolina with an average of 241 eggs per hen for the year.
Mr. Minton was a true pioneer in the North Carolina poultry industry, and the North Carolina Poultry Federation is pleased to honor him as a member of the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
1909 – 1957
Herman Bernard Helms was born on August 25, 1909, in Monroe, North Carolina. After graduating from Monroe High School, he attended Wingate Junior College and later Wake Forest College. He came back to Union County and taught French at Benton Heights High School. While teaching, he became interested in poultry breeding and in the Mid-30’s gave up teaching to devote full time to the poultry industry.
Mr. Helms became an outstanding breeder of New Hampshires and was one of the first in the South to start breeding a white feathered broiler. He was active in a number of poultry organizations that date back to the late 40’s. In 1949, he won top honors in the North Carolina State Chicken of Tomorrow Contest.
Bernard Helms’ interest in and dedication to the poultry industry in the Union County area had a direct influence on the poultry industry in other areas of North Carolina. His activities in farm-related organizations exemplified his interest in the welfare of not only his own business but also the welfare of poultry industry men throughout the state.
The officers and directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation are pleased to honor him with his induction into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
1875 – 1955
Hugh Gillespie Maxwell was born on June 7, 1987, in Wayne County, North Carolina.
In 1916, Mr. Maxwell founded the Goldsboro Milling Company in Goldsboro. He also was one of the early founders of the Bank of Wayne which is now Wachovia Bank in Goldsboro. For many years, Mr. Maxwell served on the bank board.
Mr. Maxwell realized the great potential of the poultry industry in eastern North Carolina and was a pioneer in financing both chicken and turkey producers. Mr. Maxwell’s interest in agriculture and especially the poultry industry and his desire to help people help themselves was a great contributing factor in making the poultry industry in eastern North Carolina a thriving and vital industry.
Goldsboro Milling was a family undertaking and remains so today. After Mr. Maxwell’s retirement, his sons and grandsons continued the operation. Because of Mr. Maxwell’s foresight and pioneering spirit, Goldsboro Milling is one of the largest turkey operations in the country. Mr. Maxwell’s influence continues today, not only in Goldsboro Milling but all over eastern North Carolina.
It is with pleasure that the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation recognizes the contributions of Mr. Maxwell to North Carolina’s poultry with his induction into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
1883 – 1961
Mrs. F. B. Bunch was born in Chetam County, Tennessee and was married to Mr. F#A20000 B. Bunch, Sr., who was in the textile business. She was a graduate of Western Kentucky College in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
Mrs. Bunch became interested in the poultry industry in the early 1920’s and started a small hatchery in the basement of her home in 1926. She later added a room to the house called the “pine room” that housed the Bunch Hatchery consisting of two Smith incubators.
Mrs. Bunch was noted in her early years for her Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds, and was an innovator in developing the North Carolina broiler industry. She produced New Hampshire-Barred Rock crossed chickens for broiler production, and was one of the early broiler contractors in Iredell County. She became known throughout the broiler industry as an astute businesswoman and was the first president of the North Carolina Poultry Association.
Mrs. Bunch was a true pioneer in the North Carolina poultry industry, and the North Carolina Poultry Federation is pleased to honor her as a member of the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
Ralph Bogan Kelly was born on March 14, 1910, in Broadway, North Carolina. He graduated from Broadway High School and later from North Carolina State College. In 1939, Ralph Kelly was employed with the North Carolina Department of Agriculture in the Poultry Section and was chief of the section when he retired in 1958.
Ralph Kelly was instrumental in the formation of many poultry organizations in North Carolina. He was an incorporating member of the North Carolina Poultry Council, the forerunner of the Poultry Federation, and served as Secretary-Treasurer of the North Carolina Poultry Processors Association.
During Mr. Kelly’s tenure with the North Carolina Department of Agriculture, North Carolina moved from an unknown in the poultry world, to a position of commercially important leadership. This period saw the construction and growth of processing plants for eggs, broilers, and turkeys. Inspection of poultry processing was begun and grading of all poultry and egg products flourished.
Ralph Kelly dedicated many years of service to the poultry industry in North Carolina and it is with pleasure that the officers and directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation induct him into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
Mr. Tilson started his career as a county agricultural agent in 1924 and was appointed as the first general manager of the newly organized Farmers Mutual Exchange in Durham in 1930. This cooperative later became known as Central Carolina Farmers Exchange. The cooperative started with 400 farmers and $2,400 in capital and grew under Mr. Tilson’s leadership to 15,000 members and 68 million dollars in total volume by 1975.
Would his wife, Clarice, and the other Thompson family members present tonight please come forward at this time for the presentation and photographs.
Don Tyson’s stellar career in the poultry business began in 1952 when he joined his Father’s poultry operation, then known as Tyson’s Feed and Hatchery. From 1952 until 1958, Don and his Father worked very closely developing and building their poultry feed and live production business. That dedication and hard work lead to the opening of their first poultry processing plant on Randall Road in Springdale, I Arkansas, in 1958. With this venture, Tyson’s Feed and Hatchery became the first fully integrated poultry firm in Arkansas, and Don Tyson was the company’s first plant manager. Under the leadership of John W. Tyson, the company bought Garrett Poultry in Rogers, Arkansas, in 1963, which proved to be the first of many future acquisitions. That year also saw the initial public offering of stock in the newly named company—Tyson Foods, Inc.In January of 1967, tragedy befell the Tyson Family with the untimely death of John W. Tyson and his wife, Helen, due to a fatal automobile-train collision. That life-altering event propelled the leadership role of Tyson Foods, Inc. directly into the capable hands—at age 36—of Don Tyson. Under Don’s strong and steady leadership, Tyson Foods, Inc. further expanded in 1967 by acquiring Franz Foods in Green Forest, Arkansas, making that facility the third plant to be operated by Tyson Foods.Under the careful eye and strong leadership of Don Tyson as Chairman, President and CEO of Tyson Foods, Inc., the company grew internally over the next 25 years and completed 23 more acquisitions of poultry and other food processing facilities. In 1994, Tyson Foods became the 1l0″‘ largest manufacturing company on the Fortune 500 listing.When Don stepped down as Chairman of the Board of Tyson Foods, Inc. in April of 1995 and assumed the role of Senior Chairman, Tyson Foods was the world’s largest producer, processor and marketer of poultry and poultry-based food products. Don’s son, John Tyson, now serves as Tyson Foods’ Chairman of the Board, President and CEO. The company currently produces, processes and markets 45 million chickens per week. With sales of other products, Tyson’s combined revenues in 1999 totaled $7.2 billion. Worldwide, the current Tyson team numbers 65,000 associates. Tyson Foods operates 70 food processing facilities in 17 states.In North Carolina, the name Tyson Foods, Inc. is certainly well-known and respected as both an industry if pioneer and a solid industry leader. It currently operates facilities in Wilkesboro, Monroe, Sanford, Harmony, Creswell, and Fayetteville, North Carolina, and employs statewide over 5,000 team members. A key component in the success of Tyson’s commitment to consistently provide only the highest quality food products for its consumers is the close relationship it maintains with its 600 grower families spanning eight North Carolina counties. Tyson Foods provides jobs and a steady income to thousands of North Carolina citizens and positively impacts the state’s overall economy, contributing to the success of many allied industries, as well.In honor of Don Tyson’s vision, his pioneering spirit, and his exemplary leadership skills in propelling Tyson Foods, Inc. into a model of entrepreneurial success; and in honor of his numerous contributions to the growth and development of the poultry food industry in both North Carolina and the nation, the Officers and Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation are very pleased to induct Don Tyson into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.August 18, 2000
Robert S. “Bob” Erwin, Jr. grew up in Hickory, NC, and attended Hickory High School. He continued his formal education at Davidson College in Davidson, NC, where he graduated in 1952. Bob then joined the U.S. Army and served our country for two years. The Korean War ended just as Bob was traveling there for service, so he was afforded the special opportunity to spend one year of his military service in northern Japan in the ski troops. Bob was discharged from the Army in 1954 as a 1* Lieutenant in the Infantry.
Upon his return home nom military service, Bob married the former Sara Breeden, and their union resulted in two sons and six grandchildren. Their oldest son, John, is a partner in a law firm in Raleigh, NC, where he lives with his wife and four children; and their younger son, Charlie, is the owner of Ham’s Restaurant chain and other related businesses, and he lives in Greensboro with this wife and two children. Bob and Sara spent their first year of marriage in Charlotte, NC, working for Commercial Credit. In 1955, they moved to Morganton, NC, where Bob joined Breeden Poultry, the business started by his lather-in-law, RT. Breeden, Sr. Shortly after joining the company, Bob became President of B and L Feed, which was the feed and grow-out division of Breeden Poultry. When R. T. Breeden, Sr. passed away in 1961, R. T. Breeden, Jr. served as President of Breeden Poultry. In 1955, the time Bob joined the business, most of the chickens Breeden. Poultry processed were purchased from hatcheries, feed dealers, and feed mills. By 1964, the company constructed a hatchery and feed mill, and Bob supervised the growth and eventual total integration of the company over the following years. In 1988, B and L Feed and Breeden Poultry were sold to Case Farms owned by Mr. Tom Shelton. Bob has continued as a valued consultant for Case Farms since 1988.
In addition to his active service as President of the Carolina Feed Industry Association, Bob also served as a member of the initial Board of Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation, and he became the second President of the Federation, serving a 1969-70 term. Bob was very active on the Federation’s Public Affairs Committee, and he helped extensively in the Federation’s fund-raising efforts. He, along with Dennis Ramsey and Paul Morgan, was a key part of the committee that hired Ed Woodhouse as the Poultry Federation’s Executive Director. Bob also served for nine years on the Board of the American Feed Industry Association, where his experience and business acumen greatly contributed to his duties as Budget Chairman for the Association.
Bob and Sara have been very active in their local Methodist Church. Among many areas of dedicated service, Bob’s contributions include loyal service as a Sunday School teacher, Finance Chairman, Chairman of a special fund-raising campaign for a church building addition, and service as an Eagle Scout and exemplary role model, himself- as a Scout Leader. Another highlight of his numerous contributions to church service includes the Erwins being active members of a special building team that traveled to Mexico to help with the construction of a church.
Bob’s many contributions to his community and to local professional and civic organizations include the following: serving for nine years as a Trustee and Development Committee Chair for the Methodist Children’s Home in Winston-Salem, NC; serving on the Board of the Givens Estate Methodist Retirement Home in Asheville, NC; serving on the Board of Grace Hospital in Morganton, NC; serving on the Board of the Senator Sam J. Ervin, Jr. Library at Western Piedmont Community College in Morganton; and serving as a Director of the First Union National Bank, also in Morganton.
Among Bob’s fondest personal hobbies and recreational pursuits are a keen interest in history, with an emphasis on the Civil War; photography; tennis; t1yÂ·tishing; and traveling. Since 1988, Bob and Sara have, in fact, been able to actively pursue and enjoy their lifelong ambition to travel extensively. They have planned and taken many exciting trips, including a recent 3-week journey to China. Over the last few years, Bob has also enjoyed fly-fishing in both Alaska and Patagonia. V Bob went hiking and camping around Mt. Everest in 1999, and the Erwins have thoroughly enjoyed, as well, many wonderful trips through the years with their children and grandchildren.
In honor of Robert S. “Bob” Erwin’s pioneering spirit, exemplary leadership skills, and numerous contributions to the growth and development of North Carolina’s poultry food industry, the Officers and Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation are very pleased to induct him into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame, this the 17th day of August, A 2001.
Dr. Robert E. “Bob” Cook was born on August 26, 1927, and was reared on a general livestock farm near Spencer, West Virginia. During high school, he was active in 4-H and served as the State FFA President. Bob entered West Virginia University where he received a B. S. degree in Agricultural Education in 1949. Prior to serving in the U.S. army during the Korean conflict, he was employed by the International Harvester Company. After being discharged from the Army, he taught Vocational Agriculture for one year before entering graduate school at West Virginia University where he received his Master’s degree in Animal Science. He then entered NC State University where he completed his Ph.D. degree in poultry genetics in 1958.
On September 1, 1958, Dr. Cook joined the Department of Poultry Science at the University of Florida in Gainesville as an Assistant Professor. In the fall of 1961, he moved to become the Coordinator of the USDA’s Southern Regional Poultry Genetics Project. From 1964-1965, Bob worked exclusively for USDA as Leader of Genetic Investigations. In 1965, he entered his first university administrative position as the Chair of the Department of Poultry Science at The Ohio State University, in Columbus, Ohio. In 1969, he became head of the Department of Poultry science at NC State. During his Department tenure at NC State, he served on numerous state, industry and university committees and on a number of Department evaluation teams for the USDA.
In 1985, Dr. Cook was appointed as an Assistant director of the NC Agricultural Research Service. He served in that capacity until 1986, when he was named as the Assistant Dean for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. One of his primary duties while serving as Assistant Dean was to work directly with the North Carolina Legislature to address the research and extension needs of the College and Agriculture in general. He reti#A20000 from active service at NC State on September 30, 1992. Retirement was not, however, the end of Dr. Cook’s contributions to North Carolina agriculture. He has actively worked with the NC Poultry Federation in many capacities since his retirement, and in 1997 was appointed by then Governor James B. Hunt to serve as a member of the North Carolina Environmental Management Commission. He served tirelessly on that commission to represent agriculture and the animal industries viewpoints on proposed environmental regulations. He retired from the Commission in 2001.
During his tenure as Department Head at NC State, both the Department and the North Carolina Poultry Industry grew at phenomenal rates. Although no one person is responsible for such growth, Bob’s leadership and untiring efforts on behalf of the Department’s extension, teaching and research programs played a key role. Based on his leadership, the Department became one of the premier educational units of its kind in the world.
During his tenure as Assistant Dean, Dr. Cook was one of those who was instrumental in working with the poultry industry and the NC Legislature to fund the renovation and doubling of the size of Scott Hall, the home of the Poultry Science Department at NC State. That accomplishment was instrumental in the continued success of the poultry teaching, research and extension programs at NC State.
Dr. Cook has received numerous honors over the years, a few of which include: An Achievement Award horn the Ohio Poultry & Livestock Industry, 1969; the Golden egg Award from the North Carolina Egg Marketing Association, 1974; Distinguished Service Awards from the North Carolina Poultry Federation, 1971 and 1983; a Certificate of Merit from Phi Kappa Phi, 1984; a Distinguished Service Award from the North Carolina Egg Marketing Association, 1986; and the “Workhorse of the Year” Award from the Southeastern Poultry and Egg Association in 1990. He was also very active in a number of industry and scientific associations, and he served as a Board member and President of the Poultry Science Association in 1976-77 and as Vice president of the USA Branch of the World’s Poultry Science Association from 1984-1988. He was named as a Fellow of the Poultry Science Association in 1981.
The poultry industry, both within and without North Carolina, have greatly benefited from the leadership of Dr. Robert Cook, and it is our pleasure to place him into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame on this the 16th day of August, 2002.
In 1967, J. B. was hired by Hubbard Farms, one of the major broiler breeding companies, located in Walpole, NH. He and his family moved to Statesville, NC, where he assumed the role of regional hatchery manager; As the company grew and developed, J. VB. was promoted to the position of Area Production Manager for Hubbard Farms, and was assigned the responsibility of building a new modem hatchery and to change the company’s production methods from independent to contract producers for the management of Hubbard’s grandparent flocks that produced their parent stock hatching eggs. He combined the former production facilities that were located in both North and South Carolina into a single area near Statesville, NC. That project was completed in 1975. As the company continued to grow and expand, J. B. was promoted to Director of Production and Sales for Hubbard Farms for the eastern US and Canada. His goals were to improve grandparent production and hatch-ability for all of Hubbard’s facilities in his region, and to design and develop an ISO 9000 program that was compatible with all of Hubbard Farm’s units world wide to insure consistent quality control.In 1995, J.B. Helped Hubbard Purchase land in Pikeville, TN for a new grandparent complex. He oversaw the construction of a new hatchery and support facilities that were built on a very large acreage that was completely fenced to insure security and quality control. At the time this was the largest breeder complex and modern hatchery in the USA. All new growing and laying houses were constructed with all new contract producers before the hatchery was completed. An Open House with visitors from all over USA and from Europe was held in June, 1997 to celebrate the completion of the project.
J.B. has also been extremely active in industry and community organizations including: the U.S. Poultry & Egg Association, Board of Directors from 1985 to present, President, 1991; the NC Poultry Federation, President 1982-83; the NC Mutual Hatchery Association, president 1972-84; the N. Wilkesboro Area Poultry Association,, President 12979-80 and 1987-88; the National Poultry Improvement Plan, General Conference Committee; the NC Agricultural Foundation Board; the NC Cooperative Extension Advisory Council; the Statesville-Iredell County School System; the Tennessee Poultry and Egg Association, and the Hubbard Charitable Foundation, where he served as Chairman until May, 2004, and continues to serve as Vice Chairman.
In August, 1997, J.B. retired from Hubbard Farms and began his own consulting business working with broiler companies around the world on production and hatching problems. He has consulted with a number of U.S integrators, as well as with companies in Zambia, Belize, Panama and the Bahamas.
Due to his outstanding contributions to the North Carolina and the USA poultry industries, it is with great pleasure that the Officers and Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation induct J.B. Barnes into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame.
Frank R. Craig was born in Mount Holly, North Carolina, on April 6, 1921. He graduated from Mount Holly High school in 1938, attended Belmont Abby College, and later attended North Carolina State University. From 1942 to 1945, Frank Craig served in the U.S. Air Force. He Â· received a B.S. degree in 1946 and an MS. degree in 1952 in Agricultural Education and Poultry Science from NC State. He then transfer#red to the University of Georgia’s School of Veterinary Medicine where, in 1952, he was awarded a D.V.M. degree. Dr. Craig married the former Doris Talton, and they have two daughters, Grace and Melanie.
After completing his veterinary degree, Dr. Craig joined the Poultry Science Department at North Carolina State University where he specialized in poultry disease research. While at NCSU, he rose through the academic ranks to full professor. He also designed and oversaw the construction of what is now known as the Dearstyne Avian Disease Research Center. In 1969, Dr. Craig decided to accept an offer from Perdue, Inc., a rapidly growing broiler company, to become their Director of Health Services. In 1985, he was named to the position of Senior Vice president of Technical Services for Perdue.
Dr. Craig was extremely well known among his veterinary and industry colleagues. He received a number of awards and honors from professional organizations, and he was lauded by fellow academicians and leaders of government as one of the nation’s biggest contributors to significant progress in poultry health research and to the development and implementation of progressive poultry and meat inspection systems. Perhaps his proudest achievement was that of being selected as the first industry recipient of the United states Department of Agriculture’s highest Award, the Distinguished Service Award for outstanding public service. He was also very proud of the Distinguished Citizen Award that he received from the DELMAECA Poultry Industry Association in 1984.
Dr. Craig was a member of numerous professional and academic honor societies and served on several USDA/APHIS task forces, including one for the control of Exotic Newcastle Disease (1973-74), one for the control of Avian Influenza (1983-84), and one for the control of Salmonella enteritidis (1989), which he co-chaired. He was also a member of the USDA’s National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection from 1962-1970 and, again, from 1982-1987. He served on numerous industry and government scientific committees. He as a member of the national Broiler Council’s Scientific Committee; and was a past Director, Vice President and President of the American Association of Avian Pathologists.
Dr. Craig was respected and reve#A20000 both professionally and personally as a expert in his field, a great leader of far-reaching vision, and an exemplary gentlemen who was a wonderful friends, brother, husband, and father. It is, therefore, with great pleasure that the Officers and Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation induct Dr. Frank Rankin Craig into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame on this 2nd day of November, 2005.
Goldsboro Milling Company was founded in 1916 by Gordon’s grandfather, “Mr. Hugh,” and has been a major part of his life since birth. Returning to the business after graduation from NC State, Gordon joined l1is cousin, Louis, and began to play a major role in the operation of the business upon the retirement of his father and Uncle John Maxwell.Goldsboro Milling Company and its related companies have become one of the largest fully integrated turkey operations in the world employing over 3,500 associates. In partnership with Smithfield Foods, Goldsboro Milling produces over 500 million pounds of turkey products and over 350 million pounds of pork each year. In addition, the company is a major landowner and has extensive timber interests in North Carolina and Florida.Serving as the President of Goldsboro Milling is only one of Gordon’s long-time endeavors. He is currently a member of the Board of Trustees of Campbell university and of the local board of the BB$T bank. He is a former member of the Board of Smithfield Foods and has been involved in many civic positions and in various boards of his church.Gordon Maxwell is well recognized n all that happens in Wayne County, and he has left an indelible mark on his community. His love for the outdoors, hunting, fishing and wildlife conservation and management is well known and appreciated by his peers.In honor of his numerous contributions to his fellow man and to the growth of North Carolina’s Poultry Food Industry, the Officers and Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation are proud and pleased to induct Hugh Gordon Maxwell, III into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame on this 2ed day of November, 2005.
Ed Woodhouse was born February 1, 1936, in Mt Airy, North Carolina, to the late Wilbur B. and Eunice W. Woodhouse. He obtained an Associate of Arts degree from Louisburg College before graduating from Pfeiffer College in 1958 with a Bachelor of Science degree. Ed attended both institutions on athletic scholarships prior to assuming the role of Executive Director of the North Carolina Poultry Federation in1969, he served in that same capacity with the North Carolina Democratic Party and with the North Carolina Soil Drink Association He also served on the staff of Dan K. Moore during his successful run for Governor of North Carolina.
Mr. Woodhouse has received a number of honors and awards during his career, including being named President of the Men’s Student Council at Louisburg and Pfeiffer Colleges; being named Pfeiffer College’s “Alumni of the Year;” and the Distinguished Service Award from the North Carolina Poultry Federation.
During his 33-year tenure (1969-2002) as Executive Director of the North Carolina Poultry Federation, Woodhouse also served as Secretary-Treasurer of the NC Turkey Federation and of the NC Poultry ` Processors Association; Outside of his NCPF stall responsibilities, he helped North Carolina agriculture by c sewing on the North Carolina Legislature’s Forestry, Agriculture and Seafood Legislative Study and Awareness Committee, and on the Agriculture Committee for the Alternative Energy Corporation He also served as President of the American Association of Poultry Federation Executives, as a board member of the NC Agribusiness Council, and on the Budget Review Committee of the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State University.
As the Executive Director of the North Carolina Poultry Federation, Ed was immensely helpful to the North Carolina poultry industry by continuous monitoring legislation that had the potential to having positive and/or negative impacts on various aspect of the industry. He was extremely well known to many members of the legislature and worked closely with them to enact legislation that was beneficial for the poultry industry at North Carolina agriculture. He also worked closely with faculty members at North Carolina State University, with the North Carolina department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, as well as with numerous other agricultural organizations, such as the North Carolina Feed Industry Association, North Carolina Agribusiness Council, the North Carolina farm Bureau, and numerous other North Carolina commodity associations.
In addition to his professional accomplishments, Woodhouse’s record of service to his community and his state is a distinguished one, as well. He served as a member of Governor Dan K. Moore’s Advisory Committee on State Beautification and as president of “keep North Carolina Clean and Beautiful” for four years. He also served on the North Carolina Kerr Reservoir Development Committee and the North Carolina Recreation Commission. He is a man of tremendous faith and is a committed Christian s in Action, and has served as an elder at Brooks Avenue Church of Christ in Raleigh, NC. He is married to Betty Smith Woodhouse and has three children and nine grandchildren.
Because of his long-term service and major contribution to the health and well-being of the North Carolina Poultry Industry, it is with great pleasure that the officers and Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation induct Ed Woodhouse into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame on this 2nd day of November 2005
Early in his career, Dr. Miller learned to use all tools at his disposal for help in controlling diseases, He coordinated with university, state and company laboratories, and he worked in conjunction with breeder, pharmaceutical and vaccine companies for diagnostic answers. It would be in the late 1960s and early 1970s before noticeable progress was made on disease control. Mycoplasma nee breeders were then producing free PPLO chicks, and condemnation for allirsaculitis took a big drop. About that same time, use of a vaccine for Mareks disease was beginning, which drastically cut mortality for breeder hens, greatly increased production, and resulted in a decrease in condemnation for Mareks.When poultry diseases ceased to monopolize Dr. Miller’s time, he had more opportunities to work closely with the live production staff and with growers assisting in best poultry management procedures. This enabled him to shift his emphasis toward preventive medicine rather than treatment with antimicrobials, resulting in growing efficiency, lower condemnation, increased livability, production of a much better poultry product.Dr. Miller Worked as vice President of Live Production Services for Holly Farms Poultry until 1989, at which time Holly Farms was purchased by Tyson Foods. Dr. Miller continued his employment with Tyson Foods as Senior Vice President of Live Production and as Senior Veterinarian until His Retirement in 2004.Among many honors though the years, Cr. Miller received the C. A. Bottorff Award from the American Association of Avian Pathologists in 1996 in recognition of his significant contributions as an avian pathologist to Poultry Health Programs in North American. Dr. Miller is a life member of the AAAP, and he is also a life member of the American Veterinary Medical Association.Dr. Miller is well known and respected in his local community, as well. He was a charter member of the North Wilkesboro Rotary Club and served as its President for a 1978-79 term. He was also President of the Wilkes Area Poultry Association for a 1975-76 two year term. He is a member of the First Baptist Church of North Wilkesboro.Dr. Miller and his wife of 48 years, Jean, currently live in Wilkesboro, NC. They have two children – a son, Gordon Jr. “Chip,” and a daughter, Melissa. Chip, a current Tyson Foods employee, and his wife Paula, live in Wilkesboro, NC, with their two sons, Gordon and Cullen. Melissa and her husband, Paul Utt, Live in Raleigh, NC, with their two daughters, Mary Gordon and Caroline, and their son, Brener. Dr. Miller’s Hobbies since his retirement include riding his Harley and spending time in Ashe County at his house on the New River.In honor and recognition of his numerous contributions to the well-being and development of North Carolina’s poultry industry, the Officers and Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation are very pleased to induct Dr. Gordon P. Miller into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame, this the 1st day of November, 2006.
When Windell and Judy’s three sons – Nelson, Paul, and David – followed in their father’s footsteps by also graduating from North Carolina State University, they returned to the family farm, necessitating a further expansion. Talley Farms Inc. was then formed by Windell, Paul, and David to produce 4,5 million turkey hatching eggs under contract to Swift Ekrich, Inc. The agreement was continued by Prestage Farms when they built their own hatchery.In 2006, Talley Farms purchased the balance of Cuddy Farms’ land and production facilities in North Carolina for utilization in the production of additional turkey meat birds, turkey egg production, and beef cattle production. Currently, Talley Farms Inc. is producing some 9 million hatching eggs and approximately 800,000 meat birds, 80% of which are vegetable fed, non-antibiotic birds.As and early testament to the vision and drive of Windell and Judy Talley, they were selected by the National Farm Bureau in 1969 as one of three Outstanding Young Farm Couples. Windell and Judy attribute the success of Talley Farms from its very inception to the hard work of their entire family: son Nelson and his wife, Angie, and their children, Sarah, Allison and Andrew; son Paul and his wife, Patti, and their children, Jesse, Logan, and Wil; and son David and his wife, Stacy, and their children, Lauren, Emily, and Samantha; and to the hard work of all Tally Farms Employees.Windell Talley’s 44 years of experience and expertise in poultry production have garne#A20000 him numerous distinctions through the years. He served two six-year terms on the North Carolina state Board of Agriculture, having been first appointed by Governor James E. Holshouser, Jr. and later by Governor James G. Martin. He also served on the Governor’s Task Force on Farm Economy and the Governor’s Farm Workers Council. Windell is a past President of the North Carolina Turkey Federation and has served several terms on the Board of the National turkey Federation. He also serviced on North Carrolina State University’s Ag Foundation board for many years. Windell is very active in his local community, as well, having served on Stanly memorial Hospital’s board of directors for 16 years and as its Chairman for the last two years. He is also a past president of the Stanly County Farm Bureau and is a past Vice President of the Stanly County Chamber of Commerce.In honor and recognition of his pioneering spirit and numerous contributions to the growth and development of North Carolina’s entire poultry industry, the Officers and Directors of the North Carolina Poultry Federation are very pleased to induct Windell talley into the North Carolina Poultry Hall of Fame, this the 1st day of November, 2006.
G. D. Smith was born on December 25, 1935 and was the youngest child of G. D. Smith Sr. and Cora Penley Smith. He was raised working on his parents Diary Farm in the Venable / Sand Hill section of Candler, North Carolina. After leaving the Marine Core, G. D. enrolled in a two year course of Agriculture under the GI Bill.
G. D. went to work with a company that was a joint venture of Appalachian Milling Company, Mountain Poultry Company and Arbor Acre Farms in late 1957. Within 6 months of working within the feed mill he was promoted to feed mill manager and was later given the responsibility to oversee some of the breeder flocks for the company.
In 1961 Arbor Acres closed out the broiler operation in Asheville, NC and transferred G. D. to Georgia as manager of their beef cattle and quarter horse operation where he remained for 4 ½ years. When Arbor Acres closed this phase of their operation they transferred him to their Blairsville, Georgia Poultry division as farm manager where he remained for one year until they asked him to transfer back to Asheville, NC as general manager for Arbors Acres – Asheville division. In 1973 the decision was made to consolidate all North Carolina branches of Arbor Acres into the Blairsville, Georgia division. After 16 years of service with Arbor Acres the Smith’s purchased the Asheville farm and hatchery that is located in Fairview, North Carolina and formed Smith Farms, Inc. G. D. his wife Janice, and their four sons started a custom hatchery operation that is still in operation and is capable of hatching over 250,000 chicks per week. In 1975 the first transport system was built for use at their hatchery and a second unit was added in 1978. In 1980 the first Smithway was built and sold to Holy Farms in Crewe, Virginia. The second system that was built was sold to Arbor Acres in Carthage, Mississippi. With patents pending on these two units Smithway, Inc. was established. Today, Smithway produces over 50 units per year and exports approximately 1/3 of these to our International Customers. Since all Smithway units are custom built to our customers needs – units have been designed to haul not only baby chicks but for baby pigs, quails, turkeys, ducks, lab rats, pigeon’s and even puppies. Capacities on our systems can range from 100 to 108,000 chicks on our largest unit. Models include pallet systems, Airport transfer systems, Sprinter Vans and Cargo containers for International shipments.
What started as a family business continues as such today. As both Companies grew, two additional farms were purchased for beef cattle operations that are managed by Tony who is the oldest son. Our sons Rocky and Scott who started working at Smithway upon completion of School are both still involved. Rocky is in charge of sales and service while Scott works on the production line. Rod the young son manages the offices and runs the hatchery division. G. D. decided in 2002 to retire from both of the Smith’s companies as well as from the Board of Director position he held at the Fairview Volunteer Fire Department. Upon retiring from the Board position he received a letter and plaque from the Governor of North Carolina acknowledging his dedication for 23 years of service that included 4 years as Vice Chairman and the last 14 years as Chairman of the Board. G. D. and Janice are now enjoying their retirement by spending as much time as possible on their horses either at one of their farms or traveling and riding on the great trails throughout America.
Blake Lovette was one of seven children growing up on his family’s farm in Millers Creek, North Carolina. Growing up, Blake’s parents taught him a keen worth ethic as he worked with his siblings to help maintain the family farm.
After graduating in 1965 from NC State University, Blake began his long and successful career in the poultry industry. After working for two years with Holly Farms, Blake became a plant manager and in 1976 was named Executive VP. In 1978, he left Holly Farms and moved to Arkansas to become the Executive VP of Valmac Industries, Inc. Only a year later, Blake was named CEO. During his six years with Valmac, he developed a line of prepa#A20000 products. In 1985, Blake left Valmac to work for Perdue Farms as President of Perdue’s Shenandoah Products Corp. Three years later, Blake returned to Holly Farms to serve as their President and Chief Operating Officer. Blake held this top position with Holly Farms through the transition period in which Tyson Foods acquired Holly Farms.
In the fall of 1990 Blake left Tyson Foods and bought the company his father started. Renamed the Lovette Egg Company, Blake owned and operated the wholesale meat and poultry distributor until he sold it to ConAgra Poultry Company in 1998. Blake served as President of ConAgra from 1998 until he retired in 2003. That same year, ConAgra was acquired by Pilgrim’s Pride.
Although Blake Lovette is retired he is still active in the poultry industry and in his community. Blake currently works as a consultant for the poultry industry and owns his own Auto Spa. Blake serves as a board member for Morris & Associates, the Chairman fo the Wilkes Economic Development Corp., and was the Chairman of the Wilkes Regional Medical Center Board for eight years. He is a dedicated church member and has been a strong supporter of the Rainbow Center of Wilkes, Health Foundation, Yadkin River Greenway, and other local organizations.
In addition to being a dedicated worker and community member, Blake is a true family man. He was married to Julia Wooten Lovette for 45 years, until she passed away in 2008. Blake has three daughters; Sena, Angela, and Amy. When the poultry industry isn’t occupying Blake’s time, he enjoys spending time with his six grandchildren. Throughout his career, Blake has been a dedicated professional and has made significant contributions to the poultry industry of North Carolina.
As a native of Georgetown, Ohio, Milton spent most of his early life in Marietta, Ohio. During his college years at Finn College (now Cleveland State University), an aptitude evaluation suggested that Milton should pursue a career in agriculture. At the time, he was insulted because he considered himself as engineer. Later, another aptitude yielded similar results. This time he replied, “Sometimes you just can’t avoid one’s fate.”
Thus began Milton’s career in agriculture. Milton’s first job involved laboratory work with Thompson Aircraft. He then moved to manage the lab for Kentucky Chemical, which was eventually bought out by Provico Feeds, Cincinnati, Ohio. Early in his employment, Milton traveled to many states selling feed and offering nutritional knowledge. This opportunity allowed him to meet many people whom he has sustained relationships with over the years.
Milton was always a dedicated worker that ca#A20000 deeply about the interests of farms and their birds. At one point in his career, many area poultry farms experienced excessive mortality, and producers couldn’t get timely results from the state laboratory to assist in the diagnosis and intervention of the problem. Always a leader, Milton took it upon himself to produce and offer these farmers quick laboratory results, regardless of whether or not they were a current feed customer. Not surprisingly, this kindness gained him and his employer some new customers. In 1958, Milton took a job with Browning Turkey Farms in Winchester, Kentucky. Browning hatched, raised, and processed turkeys. In 1967 Milton joined Goldsboro Milling Company in Goldsboro, North Carolina.
Milton was blessed with a wonderful family including his wife of many years Bessie (deceased) and children Owen (deceased), Marilyn, and Holly. In addition to being a dedicated family man and employee, Milton also voluntee#A20000 his talents and services to his community. Though the years Milton was active in the Kiwanis Club, a global volunteer organization that helps children around the world. He was also a deacon and an elder in his church. Milton currently resides in Goldsboro, NC and still works part-time for Goldsboro Milling Company. Anyone who has the privilege of knowing Milton can affirm that he is a kind, generous person who loves talking with others and sharing stories. Throughout his career, he was a dedicated professional and made a significant contribution to the poultry industry in North Carolina.
Bill Morris graduated from Broughton High School in Raleigh in 1937. He then graduated from NCSU, Class of ’41, earning the third highest grade in his class. Bill was formally recognized years later as a Distinguished Engineering Graduate, and Distinguished Engineering Alumnus in 1996.In WWII he served in Europe with 585th Bomb Squadron, the 394th Division in France, and was awarded the Bronze Star and the American Order of the French Croix de Guerre with Palm with this highly decorated unit.
Morris, a native of Clayton, is founder and was president until his retirement in 2002 of Morris and Associates, Inc., of Raleigh–a refrigeration equipment company in operation since 1949. The company manufactures refrigeration products for the poultry industry and a line of ice makers for commercial markets. Bill patented the first continuous process chilling systems, still in common use today, and also patented the first high-sided auger chiller. His continual development of new products has earned him 19 patents, and in 1990 he received the Governor’s New Product Award for his thermal storage ice harvesters.
A registered Professional Engineer in North Carolina and member of the NC Society of Professional Engineers, he is a lifetime member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers.
Bill is married to Marsha Foster Morris and has six children–Nancy M. Southern, Patricia M. White, William F. Morris, III, Muriel M. Groce, Bradley F. Morris, and the late Jeanette B. Morris. He also has ten grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.