Research focused on the morphology, genesis, classification, and functions of soils in relation to anthropogenic land use alterations. Dr. Ricker works on projects related to landscape reconstruction using multi-proxy approaches in depositional soils (floodplains/wetlands), soil carbon sequestration and storage, water quality improvement functions provided by riparian zones, ancient anthropogenic soils in the Maya region of Mesoamerica, and onsite water protection in North Carolina.
Dr. Ricker teaches an undergraduate/graduate level course in Soil Classification (SSC 452/551) as well as undergraduate Soil Judging for Land Evaluation (SSC 410).
- El urbanismo de baja densidad en las Tierras Bajas Mayas: El caso de El Perú-Waka’, Petén, Guatemala, Estudios de Cultura Maya (2019)
- Pollen Preservation in Alluvial Soils: Implications for Paleoecology and Land Use Studies, SOIL SCIENCE SOCIETY OF AMERICA JOURNAL (2019)
- Water Management within the Connected Xucub Reservoir and Northeast Tank Hydrologic Systems (2019)
- Wood Biomass and Carbon Pools within a Floodplain Forest of the Congaree River, South Carolina, USA, Wetlands (2019)
- Using soil descriptions to evaluate surface water management in the Ical Group, Proyecto Arqueológico El Perú-Waka’ (2018)
- Salinity Influences on Aboveground and Belowground Net Primary Productivity in Tidal Wetlands, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering (2017)
- Soil coring transects in surface water features: Xucub, Northeast Tank, and Plaza 1 reservoirs, Proyecto Arqueológico El Perú-Waka’ (2017)
- The Gibraltar Soil Series: A Historical Record of Coal Mining in the Schuylkill River Basin, Northeast Regional Pedology Field Tour Guidebook (Pennsylvania Portion) (2017)
- Climatic, ecological, and socioeconomic factors associated with West Nile virus incidence in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A., Journal of Vector Ecology (2016)
- Effects of forested floodplain soil properties on phosphorous concentrations in two Chesapeake Bay sub-watersheds, Virginia, USA, Environmental Science and Pollution Research (2016)