Soil Physics & Hydrology
Williams Hall 3410
Soil is the interface between biological, atmospheric, and geologic systems. Movement of heat, water, and chemical in soil impacts the terrestrial environment at nearly every scale. Research efforts focus on understanding principles of this movement through laboratory and field experiments, development of new measurement techniques, and numerical modeling.
Major research goals are to detail soil water and energy budgets for evaporation and evapotranspiration, improve efficiency and services of agricultural, urban, and marginal soils, and develop theoretical frameworks and measurement systems to quantify soil processes.
- Integrating Short Rotation Woody Crops into Conventional Agricultural Practices in the Southeastern United States: A Review, LAND (2023)
- Water use of short-rotation coppice American sycamore (Platanus occidentalis L.) for bioenergy during establishment on marginal land in the North Carolina Piedmont, AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT (2023)
- Characterizing Compost Rate Effects on Stormwater Runoff and Vegetation Establishment, WATER (2022)
- Comparison of infiltration test methods for soil health assessment, JOURNAL OF SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION (2022)
- Comparison of soil particle density determined by a gas pycnometer using helium, nitrogen, and air, SOIL SCIENCE SOCIETY OF AMERICA JOURNAL (2022)
- Environmental and Plant-Derived Controls on the Seasonality and Partitioning of Soil Respiration in an American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) Bioenergy Plantation Grown at Different Planting Densities, FORESTS (2022)
- Evaluation of imazapic and flumioxazin carryover risk for Carinata (Brassica carinata) establishment, WEED SCIENCE (2022)
- Forest floor manipulation effects on the relationship between aggregate stability and ectomycorrhizal fungi, FOREST ECOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT (2022)
- High-Resolution Field Measurement of Soil Heat Capacity and Changes in Soil Moisture Using a Dual-Probe Heat-Pulse Distributed Temperature Sensing Approach, WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH (2022)
- Influence of compost application rate on nutrient and heavy metal mobility: Implications for stormwater management, JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY (2022)