Area(s) of Expertise
Research is focused on agricultural production, reduction of agricultural pollutants through the use of conservation practices including riparian buffers and the development of decision support systems that both function at the watershed-scale and are applicable to field-scale soil fertility issues. These systems are designed to allow maximum user flexibility, yet to provide reliable information and answers.
July 2005 – present: Professor and Soil Science Department Extension Leader, Department of Soil Science, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
June 2002 – June 2005: Associate Professor and Soil Science Department Extension Leader, Department of Soil Science, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
May 2000 – May 2002: Associate Professor and Soil Science Extension Specialist, Department of Soil Science, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
May 1997 – April 2000: Assistant Professor and Soil Science Extension Specialist, Department of Soil Science, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
Feb 1993 – April 1997: Water Quality Extension Specialist, Water Quality Group, Department of Biological & Agricultural Engineering, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
May 1981 – May 1983: Agricultural Project Officer, United States Agency for International Development, Zaire, Africa.
Mar 1979 – May 1980: Research Associate, Soil Science Department, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
Scholarly and creative activities
- Book and Book Chapters 22
- Refereed Journal Articles 85
- Referred Proceedings 18
- Invited Presentations 151
- Volunteered Presentations, (including posters) 271
- Extension publications and slide sets 73
- Technical Reports 65
- Extension Training 138
- Software 9
- Web site (WATERSHEDSS) 1
- Grants (>$10M) 110
Scholarly and professional honors (selected)
- USDA-CSREES Award for Comprehensive Educational Program to Improve Water Quality in the Neuse River Basin, 2000.
- Professional Achievement Award – Water Quality, Hugh Hammond Bennett Chapter of the Soil and Water Conservation Society, 2004.
- USDA Secretary’s Award for Protecting and Enhancing the Nation’s Natural Resource base and Environment, Phosphorus Loss Assessment Tool Team, 2004.
- Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension (2005 Inductee), NC State University, 2005
- Agronomic Extension Education Award, American Society of Agronomy, 2006
- American Society of Agronomy Fellow, 2007
- Distinguished Service Award, Corn Growers Association of NC, 2010
- American Society of Agronomy, ASA Distinguished Service Award, ASA Division Alignment Task Force, 2011
- Soil Science Society of America Fellow, 2014
- Comparing Four Methods of Measuring Soil Organic Matter in North Carolina Soils, SOIL SCIENCE SOCIETY OF AMERICA JOURNAL (2019)
- Development of PLEAD: A Database Containing Event-based Runoff Phosphorus Loadings from Agricultural Fields, JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY (2019)
- Application of monitoring to inform policy and programs and achieve water quality goals, Journal of Soil & Water Conservation (2018)
- Evaluation of Adapt-N and Realistic Yield Expectation Approaches for Maize Nitrogen Management in North Carolina, SOIL SCIENCE SOCIETY OF AMERICA JOURNAL (2018)
- Soil-Test Biological Activity with the Flush of CO2: I.C and N Characteristics of Soils in Corn Production, SOIL SCIENCE SOCIETY OF AMERICA JOURNAL (2018)
- Strengths and limitations of nitrogen rate recommendations for corn and opportunities for improvement, Agronomy Journal (2018)
- The impact of relative individual ecosystem demand on stacking ecosystem credit markets, Ecosystem Services (2018)
- Commentary on "a possible trade-off between clean air and clean water" by Smith et al. (2017), Journal of Soil and Water Conservation (2017)
- Comparing an annual and a daily time-step model for predicting field-scale phosphorus loss, Journal of Environmental Quality (2017)
- Evaluation of factors affecting soil carbon sequestration services of stormwater wet retention ponds in varying climate zones, Science of the Total Environment (2017)
Ph. D., Agronomy, Cornell University (1991)
M.S., Soil Science, NC State University (1979)
B.S., Agronomy and Anthropology, Kansas State University (1975)