Research is directed toward developing basic soil chemical principles and applying these principles toward solving environmental and agricultural problems. Current program emphasis is on (i) speciation and solubility of phosphate in soils as affected by redox potential, (ii) characterizing solid-phase speciation of heavy metals in contaminated soils using molecular spectroscopy and (iii) characterizing molecular-scale interactions of contaminants with clay mineral surfaces and organic matter.
Recent publications to replace current list of “recent publications” in D. Hesterberg website
- Sharma, A. and D. Hesterberg. Synchrotron radiation-based spatial methods in environmental biogeochemistry studies. p. 231-265. In R. Duarte and A.D. Duarte (Ed.) Multidimensional Analytical Techniques in Environmental Research. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Gustafsson, J.P., S. Braun, J.R. M. Tuyishime, G.A. Adediran, R. Warrinnier, and D. Hesterberg. 2020. A probabilistic approach to phosphorus speciation of soils using P K-edge XANES spectroscopy with linear combination fitting. Soil Systems 4(2), 26 Open access pub. at https://doi.org/10.3390/
- Nascimento, C., D. Hesterberg, R.V. Tappero, S. Nichols, F.B.V. Da Silva. Citric acid-assisted accumulation of Ni and other metals in Odontarrhena murale: implications for phytoextraction and metal foliar distribution assessed by µ-SXRF. Environmental Pollution. 260:114025.
- Sharma, A., A. Muyskens, J. Guinness, M.L. Polizzotto, M. Fuentes, R.V. Tappero, Y-C. K. Chen-Wiegart, J. Thieme, G. J. Williams, S. Acerbo, and D. Hesterberg. 2019. Multi-element Effects on Arsenate Accumulation in a Geochemical Matrix Determined Using µ-XRF, µ-XANES, and Spatial Statistics. Journal of Synchrotron Radiation. 26:1967-1979.
- Hurtarte, L.C.C., L. F. Souza Filho, W.O. Santos, L. Vergütz, Jörg Prietzel, and D. Hesterberg. Optimization of data processing minimizes impact of self-absorption on phosphorus speciation results by P K-edge XANES. Soil Systems. 3(3), 61Open Access pub. at https://doi.org/10.3390/ soilsystems3030061.
- Hesterberg, D. 2019. Response to letter to the editor on synchrotron-based identification of reaction products in phosphorus fertilized alkaline soils. Geoderma 337:150-151.
- Terres, M.A., M. Fuentes, D. Hesterberg, and M. Polizzotto. 2018. Bayesian spectral modeling for multivariate spatial distributions of elemental concentrations in soil. Bayesian Analysis 13:1-28.
- Lopez, A.R., S. Costa Silva, S.M. Webb, D. Hesterberg, and D. Buchwalter. 2018. Periphyton and abiotic factors influencing arsenic speciation in aquatic environments. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 37:903-913.
- Santos, S.R., D. Hesterberg, and L.R.F. Alleoni. 2017. Phosphate speciation and citrate-induced mobilization of P in an Acric Oxisol. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 48:1977-1988.
- Barnes, J., P.V. Nelson, D. Hesterberg, W. Shi, and B.E. Whipker. 2017. Modeling impact of nitrogen carrier and concentration on root substrate pH. Journal of Plant Nutrition. 40:2101-2108.
- Li, J., K. Deng, D. Hesterberg, Xia, C. Wu, R. Xu. 2017. Mechanisms of enhanced inorganic phosphorus accumulation by periphyton in paddy fields as affected by calcium and ferrous ions. Science of the Total Environment 609:466-475.
- Hesterberg, D. I. McNulty, and J. Thieme. 2017. Speciation of soil phosphorus assessed by XANES spectroscopy at different spatial scales. Journal of Environmental Quality. 46:1190-1197.
- Colzato, M., M.Y. Kamogawa, H.W.P. Carvalho, L.R.F. Alleoni, and D. Hesterberg. 2017. Temporal changes in cadmium speciation in Brazilian soils evaluated using Cd LIII-edge XANES and chemical fractionation. Journal of Environmental Quality 46:1206-1214.
- Scheibener, S., N. Rivera, D. Hesterberg, O. Duckworth, D. Buchwalter. 2017. Periphyton uptake and trophic transfer of coal-ash derived trace elements. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 36:2991-2996.
- Deiss, L., A. Franzleubbers, A. Amoozegar, M.L. Polizzotto, D.L. Hesterberg, and F.W. Cubbage. 2017. Soil carbon fractions from an alluvial soil texture gradient in North Carolina. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 81:1096-1106.
- Rivera, N., D. Hesterberg, N. Kaur, and O.W. Duckworth. 2017. Chemical speciation of potentially toxic trace metals in coal fly ash associated with the Kingston fly ash spill. Energy and Fuels. 31:9652-9659.
- Doydora, S., D. Hesterberg, and W. Klysubun. 2017. Phosphate solubilization from poorly crystalline iron and aluminum hydroxides by AVAIL copolymer. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 81:20-28.