Research Scholars and Professors
Research scholars engage temporarily in research, observation, consultation, or in some cases, teaching during their stay. Professors focus on teaching but also may engage in research, observation, and consultation. The duration of stay is up to 5 years (there is no extension beyond 5 years).
Professor or Research Scholars will be subject to 24-month bar on repeat participation in the Research Scholar or Professor categories. The 24-month bar does not go into effect if a Research Scholar transfers between institutions within the U.S. to continue their current J-1 program.
Departments which invite Exchange Visitors for 6 months or less and do not plan to extend them beyond 6 months should request the short-term Scholar category, especially if future visits to the U.S. in J-1 visa status are anticipated within the next two years.
Short-Term Visiting Scholars
Short-term visiting scholars must have a bachelor’s degree that matches their corresponding research. The duration of the stay is up to 6 months.
Short-term scholars will not be restricted from making future visits to the U.S. in J-1 status to engage in a new program or activity.
Departments which invite Exchange Visitors for 6 months or less but anticipate extending their stay beyond 6 months should request either the Professor or Research Scholar category instead of the short-term Scholar category.
Requirements for all visiting scholars
- Bachelor’s degree that matches their corresponding research.
- Proof of sufficient funding for the duration of their stay ($2,000 per month, $900 per month for a spouse, and $500 per month for an accompanying child). This funding can come from personal funds, a third party, or NC State.
- Health insurance is mandatory for both the scholar and their dependents.
- English proficiency confirmed by faculty advisor. The scholar’s English must be sufficient to interact with other English speakers and conduct research at an American university.
- All scholars are eligible for temporary HR appointment within the department.