William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor
Partners Building III 360C
Area(s) of Expertise
Geminiviruses are a large family of plant viruses with circular, single-stranded DNA genomes that replicate through double-stranded intermediates. Because of their limited coding capacity, geminiviruses supply only the factors required to initiate viral replication and depend on host DNA polymerases to amplify their genomes. Many geminiviruses replicate in differentiated plant cells that no longer contain detectable levels of host DNA polymerases and associated factors.
Geminiviruses are major impediments to food production in sub-Saharan Africa and south Asia, which together account for more than 60% of the 820M undernourished people worldwide. We are working on peptide aptamers and trans-dominant negative mutants that interfere with viral replication to confer stable, general resistance against these important plant pathogens and collaborating with researchers in Africa and Asia to move the technology into key crops.
In eukaryotes, DNA replication begins at specific sites in their genomes designated as origins of replication. Even though origins have been mapped to specific sequences in yeast, it has proven more difficult to define origins in higher eukaryotes. We are collaborating with other scientists to characterize plant origins of replication and to determine their relationships to matrix attachment regions, DNA methylation sites, recruitment of modified histones and transcriptional activity.
- BCH703 (Macromolecular Synthesis)
- BCH/GN761 (Advanced Molecular Biology of the Cell)
- Chromatin structure profile data from DNS-seq: Differential nuclease sensitivity mapping of four reference tissues of B73 maize (Zea mays L) (2018)
- Diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1 is activated by phosphatidate and inhibited by SnRK1-catalyzed phosphorylation (2018)
- Genome-wide analysis of the arabidopsis replication timing program (2018)
- Lanai: A small, fast growing tomato variety is an excellent model system for studying geminiviruses (2018)
- Sucrose Nonfermenting 1-Related Protein Kinase 1 Phosphorylates a Geminivirus Rep Protein to Impair Viral Replication and Infection (2018)
- Genomic analysis of the DNA replication timing program during mitotic S phase in maize (Zea mays) root tips (2017)
- Repliscan: A tool for classifying replication timing regions (2017)
- A VIGS screen identifies immunity in the Arabidopsis Pla-1 accession to viruses in two different genera of the Geminiviridae (2017)
- Two novel DNAs that enhance symptoms and overcome CMD2 resistance to cassava mosaic disease (2016)
- A flow cytometric method for estimating S-phase duration in plants (2016)