William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor
Partners Building III 360C
Area(s) of Expertise
Geminiviruses are a large family of plant viruses with circular, single-stranded DNA genomes that replicate through double-stranded intermediates. Because of their limited coding capacity, geminiviruses supply only the factors required to initiate viral replication and depend on host DNA polymerases to amplify their genomes. Many geminiviruses replicate in differentiated plant cells that no longer contain detectable levels of host DNA polymerases and associated factors.
Geminiviruses are major impediments to food production in sub-Saharan Africa and south Asia, which together account for more than 60% of the 820M undernourished people worldwide. We are working on peptide aptamers and trans-dominant negative mutants that interfere with viral replication to confer stable, general resistance against these important plant pathogens and collaborating with researchers in Africa and Asia to move the technology into key crops.
In eukaryotes, DNA replication begins at specific sites in their genomes designated as origins of replication. Even though origins have been mapped to specific sequences in yeast, it has proven more difficult to define origins in higher eukaryotes. We are collaborating with other scientists to characterize plant origins of replication and to determine their relationships to matrix attachment regions, DNA methylation sites, recruitment of modified histones and transcriptional activity.
- BCH703 (Macromolecular Synthesis)
- BCH/GN761 (Advanced Molecular Biology of the Cell)
- A protocol for genome-wide analysis of DNA replication timing in intact root tips, Methods in Molecular Biology series (2021)
- Loss of Small-RNA-Directed DNA Methylation in the Plant Cell Cycle Promotes Germline Reprogramming and Somaclonal Variation, CURRENT BIOLOGY (2021)
- Population diversity of cassava mosaic begomoviruses increases over the course of serial vegetative propagation, JOURNAL OF GENERAL VIROLOGY (2021)
- SnRK1: a versatile plant protein kinase that limits geminivirus infection, CURRENT OPINION IN VIROLOGY (2021)
- A plant DNA virus replicates in the salivary glands of its insect vector via recruitment of host DNA synthesis machinery, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (2020)
- Arabidopsis DNA Replication Initiates in Intergenic, AT-Rich Open Chromatin(1)([OPEN]), PLANT PHYSIOLOGY (2020)
- Comparing DNA replication programs reveals large timing shifts at centromeres of endocycling cells in maize roots, PLOS GENETICS (2020)
- Cotton leaf curl Multan virus beta C1 Protein Induces Autophagy by Disrupting the Interaction of Autophagy-Related Protein 3 with Glyceraldehyde-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenases([OPEN]), PLANT CELL (2020)
- Deeply Sequenced Infectious Clones of Key Cassava Begomovirus Isolates from Cameroon, MICROBIOLOGY RESOURCE ANNOUNCEMENTS (2020)
- Geminiviral V2 Protein Suppresses Transcriptional Gene Silencing through Interaction with AGO4, JOURNAL OF VIROLOGY (2019)