Area(s) of Expertise
There is a critical need for the systematic identification and testing of dynamic community behavior as well as gene modulated states participating in the enhancement of cellular stress resistance of cultures. In our laboratory we use the new era of bioprocessing and genomic tools that make it possible control physiological states and to identify point mutations, insertions, deletions and/or translocations that have occurred in offspring strains following defined selection processes. In the near future, this comparative physiological/genetic approach will provide valuable insights for identifying gene combinations and new biochemical pathways, both playing a role in community microbial cross-feeding metabolism. This information may be applied to further improve microbial production or to understand dysbiosis by using strategic strain combinations and/or strain modifications. Our primary research interests are the genetic and physiological study of Gram positive organisms while investigating different but complementary areas with a focus on functional probiosis and bioenergy. Thus far our bioprocessing research has generated technology, peer-reviewed publications, and intellectual property to be directly implemented and translated into the generation of biofuels and functional foods. We have dedicated significant amounts of time towards implementing these new overlapping bioprocessing research areas that target prime university interests.
I teach several classes at North Carolina State University. These include “Microbial Biotechnology” (MB 455/555) during Spring and MB 420/520 (“Fundamentals of Cell Culture Biotransformations”) during Fall. Both courses are targeted at microbiology majors or non-majors and to graduate students with interest in Biotechnology and Industrial Microbiology.
- Two-stage continuous conversion of carbon monoxide to ethylene by whole cells of Azotobacter vinelandii., Applied and environmental microbiology (2020)
- Use of unconventional mixed Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol solvents for anthocyanin extraction from Purple-Fleshed sweetpotatoes, Food Chemistry (2020)
- How Fermented Foods Feed a Healthy Gut Microbiota: A Nutrition Continuum (2019)
- Influence of the intestinal microbiota on disease susceptibility in kittens with experimentally-induced carriage of atypical enteropathogenic Escherichia coli., Veterinary microbiology (2019)
- Production and Conservation of Starter Cultures: From “Backslopping” to Controlled Fermentations, How Fermented Foods Feed a Healthy Gut Microbiota: A Nutrition Continuum (2019)
- Azotobacter vinelandii Nitrogenase Activity, Hydrogen Production, and Response to Oxygen Exposure, Applied and Environmental Microbiology (2018)
- Azotobacter vinelandii nitrogenase activity, hydrogen production, and response to oxygen exposure, Applied and Environmental Microbiology (2018)
- Azotobacter vinelandii: the source of 100 years of discoveries and many more to come, Microbiology (2018)
- Prebiotics for Lactose Intolerance: Variability in Galacto-Oligosaccharide Utilization by Intestinal Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Nutrients (2018)
- Characterization of Clostridium ljungdahlii OTA1: a non-autotrophic hyper ethanol-producing strain., Applied microbiology and biotechnology (2017)
Ph.D., Biological Science, Tucuman University (1997)
B.S., Biological Science, Oviedo University (1991)