Area(s) of Expertise
There is a critical need for the systematic identification and testing of dynamic community behavior as well as gene modulated states participating in the enhancement of cellular stress resistance of cultures. In our laboratory we use the new era of bioprocessing and genomic tools that make it possible control physiological states and to identify point mutations, insertions, deletions and/or translocations that have occurred in offspring strains following defined selection processes. In the near future, this comparative physiological/genetic approach will provide valuable insights for identifying gene combinations and new biochemical pathways, both playing a role in community microbial cross-feeding metabolism. This information may be applied to further improve microbial production or to understand dysbiosis by using strategic strain combinations and/or strain modifications. Our primary research interests are the genetic and physiological study of Gram positive organisms while investigating different but complementary areas with a focus on functional probiosis and bioenergy. Thus far our bioprocessing research has generated technology, peer-reviewed publications, and intellectual property to be directly implemented and translated into the generation of biofuels and functional foods. We have dedicated significant amounts of time towards implementing these new overlapping bioprocessing research areas that target prime university interests.
I teach several classes at North Carolina State University. These include “Microbial Biotechnology” (MB 455/555) during Spring and MB 420/520 (“Fundamentals of Cell Culture Biotransformations”) during Fall. Both courses are targeted at microbiology majors or non-majors and to graduate students with interest in Biotechnology and Industrial Microbiology.
- Safety and Modulatory Effects of Humanized Galacto-Oligosaccharides on the Gut Microbiome, Frontiers in Nutrition (2021)
- The pleiotropic effects of prebiotic galacto-oligosaccharides on the aging gut, MICROBIOME (2021)
- The pleiotropic effects of prebiotic galacto-oligosaccharides on the aging gut (vol 9, 31, 2021), MICROBIOME (2021)
- Accelerated Biodegradation of the Agrochemical Ametoctradin by Soil-Derived Microbial Consortia, Frontiers in Microbiology (2020)
- An iterative approach to improve xylose consumption by Clostridium autoethanogenum: From substrate concentration to pH adjustment, Biomass and Bioenergy (2020)
- Draft Genome Sequence of Lactobacillus rhamnosus NCB 441, Isolated from Egyptian White Domiati Cheese, Microbiology Resource Announcements (2020)
- Two-stage continuous conversion of carbon monoxide to ethylene by whole cells of Azotobacter vinelandii., Applied and environmental microbiology (2020)
- Use of unconventional mixed Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol solvents for anthocyanin extraction from Purple-Fleshed sweetpotatoes, Food Chemistry (2020)
- How Fermented Foods Feed a Healthy Gut Microbiota: A Nutrition Continuum (2019)
- Influence of the intestinal microbiota on disease susceptibility in kittens with experimentally-induced carriage of atypical enteropathogenic Escherichia coli., Veterinary microbiology (2019)
Ph.D., Biological Science, Tucuman University (1997)
B.S., Biological Science, Oviedo University (1991)