Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

You have questions. We have the answers.

NC State biochemistry student Aalia Shariff


Advising typically begins after fall break for spring registration and after spring break for fall registration

You are trying to register prior to your enrollment date. Verify your enrollment date in My Pack Portal

  • Advising Registration Hold: Follow biochemistry (BCH) advising instructions.
  • Academic Warning Hold: Complete an academic advisement report and bring it to your advisor.
  • Progress Deficiency Hold: Contact advising
  • Cashier’s Office Hold: Late payments for tuition or student health services. Payment must be made to the University Cashier’s office before the hold can be released.
  • Student Conduct Hold: Academic integrity or student conduction violation. Contact the Office of Student Conduct for more information.

Visit the Enrollment Wizard web page for instructions on how to add/drop/swap courses during open enrollment.

No. Only an administrator or the enrollment coordinator in the department offering a course can add or remove students from classes in that department.

When there are open seats in a course that are reserved for specific majors, you can ask the instructor for permission to have one of the restricted seats.

Suppose the course restriction says departmental approval required. In that case, you may contact the instructor to determine who in the department can grant permission (permission must come from the department teaching the class).

  • Prerequisite – need to complete another course prior to enrollment.
  • Corequisite – requires you to enroll in another course during same term (many lab sections).
  • Requirement – meet specifics such as part of University Honors program, or sophomore standing, etc.

Visit the Student Services Center website for the complete definitions.

Visit the Student Services website for the current academic calendar

Adding and dropping classes may affect your total enrolled credit hours, your tuition, billing, financial aid or scholarship eligibility, student program eligibility, and progress toward a degree.

Students make changes to course enrollment in  MyPack through the Schedule Revision Form for the following reasons

Undergraduate students may select up to two NC State courses with posted letter grades of C- or below to be excluded from calculation of their cumulative grade point average. Unsuccessful audits or credit-only attempts are not eligible for exclusion.

Some important details:

  • Students may exclude grades (C- or lower) in up to two courses.
  • Excluded grades will remain on your transcript but will not be used in grade point calculations.
  • Excluded courses cannot be used to satisfy degree requirements.

Read the entire grade exclusion policy.

Undergraduate students may repeat a course for credit once without permission if the previous attempt was completed with a grade of D+ or less. Students must have permission from the Dean of their respective college to attempt a course for credit more than twice.

  • This may impact your Financial Aid as noted here.
  • Students must receive permission from CALS to take a course for the third time by filling out Student Revision Form and Course Repeat Form.
  • The full policy can also be found in the student catalog.

Check the database of pre-approved transfer courses.

If the course does not appear on either list, it will have to be evaluated for equivalency. You must provide a complete syllabus or comprehensive list of covered topics for evaluation. These materials should be submitted to the department responsible for the course that you intend to substitute.

To transfer your course to NC State, have an official copy of your transcript sent to Records and Registration.

Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 or be on academic warning or academic probation to continue enrollment. Students are considered in good standing if they are eligible to continue enrollment.

View official Continuation of Undergraduate Enrollment Regulation.


  • If you are doing well in your classes and have time for outside activities, then undergraduate research may be for you.
  • Look through the faculty profiles on departmental pages and select a few faculty who work on research topics of interest to you. Contact the faculty members of interest (include a short statement about yourself and your resume in an email) and ask them about the availability of undergraduate research opportunities.
  • See the Office of Undergraduate Research website for an overview of research opportunities

Visit the VetPac website:

  • Watch for seminars and networking events on the website.
  • Look for the VMCAS portfolio builder on the website.
  • Look for specialized advising help at VetPac.
  • Join the listserv on the VetPac website.
  • See the FAQs on the VetPac website for more information.

The Pre-Health website provides information on:

  • Program requisites for dental, medical, nursing, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, physical/occupational
  • Pre-health student clubs
  • Where to gain experience to put on your application
  • Join pre-health listserv
  • Attend health fair

Helpful suggestions on getting started

  • The Pre-Law website provides information on:
  • How to join the listserv
  • Pre-law application resources
  • 4-year guide
  • Meet with an advisor
  • Attend law school fair

Change Major to Biochemistry/Add Certificate

To request to change or add another major, you need to complete 12 or more graded credits hours at NC State and satisfy specific transfer requirements for your intended major.

Note: Adding or updating an “intended major” within your degree audit does not officially change your major; it is a planning tool only.