Teaching SAE lessons in the classroom is a critical step to ensure awareness and initial planning of SAE programs by all students. This is especially true as ag education programs serve more students who aren’t on a traditional, multiple-year career tract in agricultural education.
The following eight lessons and corresponding PowerPoint presentations are developed to engage student interest and involvement in SAEs. These lessons are written with a broad definition of SAE in mind. Review and modify as needed to suit the philosophy of SAE in your program.
Also included are lessons from FFA’s LifeKnowledge® initiative and links to SAE lessons on the Internet at the time of the handbook’s release. The entire field of agricultural education is enriched when multiple, high-quality resources are available to its teachers.
Sample Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plan 1: What is a Supervised Agriculture Experience and what are the benefits?
- Lesson Plan 2: What are the different types of Supervised Agricultural Experiences (SAE)?
- Lesson Plan 3: Where can SAE take me?
- Lesson Plan 4: How do you identify a possible career?
- Lesson Plan 5: How do you select the right SAE?
- Lesson Plan 6: How do you plan and initiate an SAE?
- Lesson Plan 7: Why do we keep records?
- Lesson Plan 8: How will my SAE be evaluated?
Life Knowledge Lesson Plans
Advance High School
- Lesson AHS.50 – Developing Innovative SAEs
- Lesson AHS.51 – Conducting a Workshop to Help Others Start SAEs
- Lesson AHS.52 – Teaching Others About Your SAE
- Lesson AHS.53 – SAE Programs and FFA’s Proficiency Awards
- Lesson HS.126 – Taking My Trip
- Lesson HS.127 – Choosing My Vehicle
- Lesson HS.128 – Managing Your Journey
- Lesson HS.129 – Adjusting Your Journey
- Lesson HS.130 – Enjoying the Ride – Keeping Fuel In the Tank
- Lesson MS.68 – Understanding SAEs
- Lesson MS.69 – Record Keeping
- Lesson MS.70 – Proficiency Awards and SAE
Documenting SAE programs and helping students learn to keep accurate records is important.
- Lesson Plan 1 – What is a Budget and How Do We Prepare One?
- Lesson Plan 2 – What is a Calendar and How Do We Prepare One?
- Lesson Plan 3 – What is a Journal and How Do We Prepare One?
- Lesson Plan 4 – What is a Business Agreement and How Do We Prepare One?
- Lesson Plan 5 – What is an Inventory?
- Lesson Plan 6 – What is a Financial Statement?
- Lesson Plan 7 – How Do You Analyze and Summarize Your Records?