Area(s) of Expertise
– Community-based participatory research
– Food Insecurity
– Poverty and Inequality
She is co-PI for FIRST: Food Insecurity Responses, Solutions, and Transformation during COVID-19, an NSF-funded RAPID grant that aims to understand how families’ food practices have shifted as a result of COVID-19 and identify the processes that buffer some families from food insecurity but not others. She was co-PI of Health Matters, a CDC-funded initiative that promotes healthy eating and places to be active in four North Carolina counties and also co-PI for Voices into Action: The Families, Food, and Health Project, a USDA-funded study of the family food environment.
Dr. Hardison-Moody is also Director of Faithful Families Thriving Communities, a faith-based health promotion intervention. Her work with Faithful Families garnered an invitation to the Obama White House, through the Let’s Move initiative.
In addition to her research and extension work, Dr. Hardison-Moody is the Director of Graduate Programs for the Youth, Family, and Community Sciences Program, where she also teaches courses in on Human Sexuality and Family Relationships Through the Lifecourse.
Programs and Initiatives
- Co-PI for FIRST: Food Insecurity Responses, Solutions, and Transformation during COVID-19
- Co-PI for Health Matters
- Co-PI for Voices into Action: The Families, Food, and Health Project
- Project Director, Faithful Families Thriving Communities
- Bowen, S, Elliott, S., & Hardison-Moody, A. (Forthcoming). “The Structural Roots of Food Insecurity: How Racism Is a Fundamental Cause of Food Insecurity.” Sociology Compass.
- Haynes-Maslow, L., Hardison-Moody , A., & Byker Shanks, C. . (2020). Leveraging informal community food systems to address food security during COVID-19. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 10(1), 1–4. https://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2020.101.005
- Johnson, C. M., Ammerman, A., Adair, L.S., Aiello, A. E., Flax, V. L., Elliott, S., Hardison-Moody, A., & Bowen, S. (2021). “The Four Dimensional Food Insecurity Scale (4D-FIS): Development and Evaluation of a Complementary Food Insecurity Measure.” Translational Behavioral Medicine, 10(6), 1255-1266. https://doi.org/10.1093/tbm/ibaa125
- Hardison-Moody, A, Haynes-Maslow, L., Bocarro, J., Kuhlberg, J., Schulman, M., Bowen, S., Anderson, A., Morris, L., & Murphy, Y. (2020). “Partners at Play: Engaging Parks and Recreation Departments in Extension’s Health Promotion Work.” Journal of Human Sciences & Extension 8(3): 177-199.
- Hardison-Moody, A., Stumm, L., Jones, L., Franck, K., Fuller, S., Washburn, L., Rodibaugh, R., Corrick, L., Shelnutt, K., Ammerman, A. (2020). Evaluation of a Faith-Based Health Promotion Program through EFNEP and SNAP-Ed in Three States. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2019.11.011
- Mycek, M.K., Hardison-Moody, A., Bloom, J.D., Schulman, M., Elliot, S., Bowen, S. (2019). Learning to Eat the ‘Right’ Way: Examining Nutrition Socialization from the Perspective of Immigrants and Refugees. Food, Culture, and Society. DOI: 1080/15528014.2019.1700681
- Hardison-Moody, A, Yao, J. (2019). Faithful Families, Thriving Communities: Bridging Faith and Health Through a State-Level Partnership. American Journal of Public Health, 109(3), 363-368.
- Hardison-Moody, A., MacNell, L., Elliott, S., Bowen, S., (2018). “How Social, Cultural, and Economic Environments Shape Infant Feeding for Low-Income Women: A Qualitative Study in North Carolina,” Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 118(4).
- Hardison-Moody, A. (2016). “On Good Mothering: Practicing Solidarity in the Midst of the Breastfeeding Wars.” Parenting as Spiritual Practice and Source for Theology: Mothering Matters, Eds Claire Bischoff, Elizabeth O’Donnell Gandolfo, and Annie Hardison-Moody. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Bowen, Sarah (PI), and Annie Hardison-Moody (co-PI). 2020-2021. “RAPID: Effects of Responses to COVID-19 and Social Context on Food Insecurity.” National Science Foundation.
- Bowen, S. (PI), Elliott , S., (co-PI), Hardison-Moody, A. (co-PI). “Understanding and Addressing the Roots of Child Food Insecurity: A Qualitative Longitudinal Analysis.” June 2019 – July 2020.
- Hardison-Moody, A. (co-PI), Haynes-Maslow, L. (co-PI), Bloom, J.D., Bowen, S., Dunn, P.C., Schulman, M., Aguilar, C., Jones, L., Bocarro, J., Edwards, M., Floyd, M., Kanters, M., Hipp, A. A Multi-Level Approach to Prevent Obesity: Extension and Engagement in Four North Carolina Counties.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. October 1, 2016 – September 30, 2018.
- Dunn, C., Jones, L. Hardison-Moody, A., and Foley, E. Southern Regional Center for Excellence in Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention (sub-award). United States Department of Agriculture. September 1, 2014 – August 31, 2016.
- Bowen, Sarah (PI), Sinikka Elliott (co-PI), Annie Hardison-Moody, J. Dara Bloom, Lorelei Jones, and Susan Jakes. 2011-2016. “Community-Based Approach to Reducing Childhood Obesity in Low-Income Populations: Research to Action.” United States Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Agriculture and Food Research Initiative.