AHS Faculty and Graduate Students Present at AAAE Conference
AHS faculty and graduate students presented cutting-edge research and innovative ideas related to agricultural education at the annual research conference of the American Association for Agricultural Education (AAAE). AAAE is one of the largest professional associations of scholars for the fields of agricultural education, communication, leadership, international development, and extension education. Over 230 participants attended the conference in Oklahoma City, OK. Drs. Misty Lambert, Joy Morgan, Travis Park, and Wendy Warner attended with their graduate students Rachelle Andreatta, Jillian Casey Ford, and Andrew Waaswa.
Research Paper Presentations:
- What is in it for me: Reasons to Join the Teachers’ Professional Association – Misty Lambert and Jillian Casey Ford: This presentation was based on their stakeholder research about engagement with professional organizations
- Influencing the Next Agriculturalists: Impacts of Study Abroad Experiences in Ag Ed Classrooms – Alyssa Degreenia, Joy Morgan, and Melissa Hendrickson: This research focused on how agriculture teachers who participated in a study abroad in college are utilizing their experiences to incorporate global agricultural awareness and inclusive practices in their classrooms.
- A National Review of State Standards Relevant to SBAE Teacher Performance and Program Quality – Haley Traini, Richie Roberts, Ed Osborne, Travis Park, Ashley Yopp: This group presented their collaborative national research on teacher standards.
Innovative Poster Presentations:
- Cultivating a Community for Rural Agricultural Leaders – Joy Morgan, Wendy Warner, Travis Park, Rachelle Andreatta, Rachel Vann, Stephany Dunston, and Brent Jennings: This presentation focused on their two-year program to engage CALS students from rural communities with leadership and extension opportunities throughout the state.
- Promoting Student Well-Being through Wellness Week – Wendy J. Warner, Joy E. Morgan, and Keonte’ J. Edmonds: This presentation was based on innovative work related to undergraduate student mental health and wellbeing.
- Utilizing Conversations to Encourage Instructor-Student Relationship and Promote Student Wellness and Career Focus – Andrew Waaswa, Joy Morgan and Wendy Warner: This presentation featured an expansion of this student mental health and well-being work through their poster.
Research Poster Presentations:
- Relationship between Enrollments in Land-Grant Agricultural Education Majors by Year and State Participation in the Teach Ag STAR Program – Rachelle Andreatta and Travis Park: They presented their research related to agriculture teacher recruitment.
Additionally, our AHS representatives cheered on the local OKC Dodgers, ate a few steaks, tried on cowboy hats, took in the “Lion King,” and survived Uber rides. On the final day of the conference, our NC State representative invited the AAAE Conference to Raleigh, NC, for the 2023 national research conference for AAAE, which they accepted. NC State will proudly host the AAAE conference May 15-18, 2023. Congratulations everyone and great job representing NC State and CALS!