Agroecosystems harbor microbial communities with immense diversity, and these microbiomes link soils to food systems. Our group focuses on the ecological and evolutionary processes driving plant-soil-microbe interactions in North Carolina agroecosystems, and our work supports the NC State Extension mission.
Climate change, intensive agriculture practices, and the increasing demands of food systems threaten soil microbiome biodiversity and their important ecosystem functions. At the same time, microbial solutions to agronomic challenges can support sustainability goals! Our research impacts decisions about land management, cropping systems, and nutrient inputs to prioritize soil microbiome resilience and stability and to maximize crop productivity.
Find more information on our lab webpage.
View publications on Google Scholar.
Ph.D. Microbiology Cornell University 2016
B.S. Microbiology University of Wisconsin-Madison 2008
Area(s) of Expertise
Microbial ecology & evolution, soil ecology, plant-soil-microbe interactions, agroecosystems, global change biology, biogeography, genomics, environmental & social justice
- Complete genome sequence of Bacillus thuringiensis strain RC340, isolated from a temperate forest soil sample in New England , MICROBIOLOGY RESOURCE ANNOUNCEMENTS (2023)
- Draft genome sequence of Paenibacillus sp. strain RC67, an isolate from a long-term forest soil warming experiment in Petersham, Massachusetts , MICROBIOLOGY RESOURCE ANNOUNCEMENTS (2023)
- High-quality genomes of Paenibacillus spp. RC334 and RC343, isolated from a long-term forest soil warming experiment , MICROBIOLOGY RESOURCE ANNOUNCEMENTS (2023)
- A framework for integrating microbial dispersal modes into soil ecosystem ecology , iScience (2022)
- Chitosan diet alters the microbiome of adult house flies , (2022)
- Reciprocal Inclusion of Microbiomes and Environmental Justice Contributes Solutions to Global Environmental Health Challenges , mSystems (2022)
- Streptomyces apricus sp. nov., isolated from soil , International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology (2022)
- A non-adaptive demographic mechanism for genome expansion in Streptomyces , (2021)
- Introducing the Microbes and Social Equity Working Group: Considering the Microbial Components of Social, Environmental, and Health Justice , mSystems (2021)
- Volatile organic compounds from leaf litter decomposition alter soil microbial communities and carbon dynamics , Ecology (2020)