In the past few weeks we’ve had the pleasure of recognizing some of our outstanding staff and faculty members.
University Teaching Awards
At the 2018-19 University Teaching Awards Ceremony on April 11, NC State honored faculty members for their commitment to educational excellence, and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences was well represented:
- Michael Boyette, Philip Morris Professor, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering: Outstanding Teacher Award
- Clint Stevenson, assistant professor, distance education coordinator, Department of Food, Bioprocessing and Nutrition Sciences: Outstanding Teacher Award
- Shannon Phillips, Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor, Department of Animal Science, was nominated for the University of North Carolina Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Teaching, the most prestigious award given to faculty for teaching excellence.
Alumni Association Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award
- Helen Kraus ’89, ’92 M.S., ’95 Ph.D., associate professor of horticulture and the department’s undergraduate coordinator, is one of six NC State professors recognized as Alumni Association Distinguished Undergraduate Professors for 2019.
Alumni Association Outstanding Research Award
- Ralph A. Dean, William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor, Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, is one of five NC State professors receiving a 2019 Alumni Association Outstanding Research Award.
Graduate Awards for Excellence in Laboratory Teaching Recipients
The Graduate Student Association recognized graduate teaching assistants for excellence in teaching in the classroom and in the lab. Applications, consisting of letters of recommendation from faculty and students, teaching evaluations, and/or teaching portfolios, are submitted by directors of graduate programs and evaluated by the GSA Teaching Excellence Committee.
- Jing Jin, Entomology and Plant Pathology
- Stephanie Johnstone, Plant and Microbial Biology
- Jennifer Moore, Animal Science and Prestage Department of Poultry Science
- Steven Michael Reyna, Entomology and Plant Pathology
CALS Teaching Awards
- Elaine Bohórquez, teaching assistant professor in the physiology program: Graduate Instructor Award
- Julianne Treme, assistant teaching professor in Agricultural and Resource Economics: Teacher Award of Merit
- Anne Spafford, associate professor in Horticultural Sciences: Teacher Award of Merit
- Chad Jordan, Plant & Microbial Biology: Outstanding Faculty Adviser Award
- Steven Reyna, Entomology & Plant Pathology: Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant
University Faculty Excellence
On May 1, NC State honored more than 30 faculty members for their outstanding contributions to the university community in teaching, research and engagement during the 2019 Celebration of Faculty Excellence. The following are from CALS:
- Rodolphe Barrangou, Todd R. Klaenhammer Distinguished Professor in Probiotics Research, Department of Food, Bioprocessing and Nutrition Sciences: National Academy of Engineering, National Academy of Sciences
- Sylvia Blankenship, professor emerita, Department of Horticultural Science, and senior associate dean emerita, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: National Academy of Inventors
- Jean Ristaino, William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor, Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology: Fulbright Scholar Award
- Anna Stepanova, assistant professor, Department of Plant and Microbial Biology: NSF CAREER Award
CALS Awards for Excellence and Excellence in Safety Award
We would also like to congratulate the 2018-19 recipients of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Awards for Excellence and the Excellence in Safety Award. The Award for Excellence recognizes the accomplishments and achievements of employees who are subject to the State Human Resources Act (SHRA), and the professional employees who are Exempt from the State Human Resources Act (EHRA). University Awards for Excellence recipients are also submitted for consideration for the Governor’s Awards for Excellence, which is the highest honor awarded to a State of North Carolina employee.
The Excellence in Safety Award honors members of the college community who promote safety through their actions and encourage excellence in safety for their work environment. These are our award winners:
- Neil Bain, Instrument Shop Supervisor, Biological and Agricultural Engineering: Award for Excellence
- Enass Wahby, Post Award Consultant, CALS Business Office: Award for Excellence
- Geri Bushel, Executive Assistant, Agricultural and Human Sciences: Award for Excellence
- Annie Freeman, County Extension Support Specialist, Richmond County Center: Awards for Excellence
- Buddy Daniels, Research Technician, Horticultural Crops Research Station: Award for Excellence
- John Garner, Research Operations Manager, Horticultural Crops Research Station: Award for Excellence
- Eve Honeycutt (not pictured), Extension Agent, Agriculture – Livestock Lenoir County Center: Award for Excellence
- Annemarie Nagle, Research Assistant, Entomology and Plant Pathology: Excellence in Safety Award
- Christina Sigmon (not pictured), Research Technician, Prestage Department of Poultry Science: Excellence in Safety Award
Our college winners for the CALS Awards for Excellence will also be honored during the University Awards Reception scheduled for 2 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, 2019, in the James B. Hunt Jr. Library-Auditorium, Centennial Campus, NC State University.