Research emphasis is placed on environmental chemistry and soil physical chemistry. Recent projects dealing with environmental chemistry include emissions of ammonia from swine lagoons; temporal and spatial patterns in ambient ammonia and ammonium aerosol concentrations across eastern North Carolina; a nitrogen budget for the Coastal Plain river basins of North Carolina using a Geographical Information System (GIS); dry deposition of ammonia and ammonium aerosols to crop and woodland canopies; the trace metal content of fertilizer source materials produced in North America; and the issue of whether perchlorate is present in fertilizer source materials and fertilizer blends produced and marketed in North America.
Research projects dealing with soil physical chemistry currently include the use of simulants to determine the fate and transport of chemical warfare agents in soils; and an investigation of the redox chemistry of swine lagoons. Other research interests include modeling of solute-surface interactions in soil, application of chemical speciation models to soil systems, and characterization of the root-soil interface.
- Modeling and measurements of ammonia from poultry operations: Their emissions, transport, and deposition in the Chesapeake Bay, SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT (2020)
- Comparing Four Methods of Measuring Soil Organic Matter in North Carolina Soils, SOIL SCIENCE SOCIETY OF AMERICA JOURNAL (2019)
- Commentary on "A possible trade-off between clean air and clean water" by Smith et al. (2017), Journal of Soil & Water Conservation (2017)
- Effects of HCl pretreatment, drying, and storage on the stable isotope ratios of soil and sediment samples, Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry (2016)
- Comparing nitrous oxide losses from three residential landscapes under different management schemes following natural rainfall events, Urban Ecosystems (2015)
- Geographic clustering of elevated blood heavy metal levels in pregnant women, BMC Public Health (2015)
- Modeling of ammonia dry deposition to a pocosin landscape downwind of a large poultry facility, Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment (2014)
- Processes of ammonia air-surface exchange in a fertilized Zea mays canopy, Biogeosciences (2013)
- Synergistic ammonia losses from animal wastewater, Atmospheric Environment (2013)
- Effects of lawn maintenance on nutrient losses via overland flow during natural rainfall events, Journal of the American Water Resources Association (2012)