Dr. Miller’s training was at Louisiana Tech University (B.S. in Agriculture in 1988), Louisiana State University (M.S. in Agronomy & Soils in 1990) and Auburn University (Ph.D. in Agronomy & Soils in 1995). Prior to coming to NCSU, he was an Assistant/Associate/Professor at University of Florida working in Turfgrass Science teaching and research. In 2006 he was appointed Professor of Turfgrass Science at North Carolina State University with extension, research, and teaching appointments.
Dr. Miller directs his extension efforts toward general turfgrass management. The focus of his research program is to improve sports field, golf course, urban turfgrass, and utility turfgrass quality though evaluation of turfgrass management practices and procedures. His research activities are centered on cultivar evaluation, irrigation practices, turfgrass nutrition, and athletic field maintenance practices. He currently teaches the graduate class (CS755) Applied Research Methods and Analysis for Plant Sciences each fall.
He is the co-author of three books: a) Managing Bermudagrass Turf, b) Roadside Turf Management Guide, and 3) Design, Construction, and Management of Bermudagrass Athletic fields. He has published over 500 articles dealing with all phases of turfgrass management.
Dr. Miller provides administrative oversight for the Turfgrass Field Laboratory in Raleigh, NC and is a Co-Director of the Turfgrass Center. He is an active member of the International Turfgrass Society, American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, and the Sports Turf Managers Association.
- Creeping bentgrass summer decline as influenced by climatic conditions and cultural practices, Agronomy Journal (2020)
- Genotype‐by‐environment interaction for turfgrass quality in bermudagrass across the southeastern United States, Crop Science (2020)
- The effects of compost incorporation on soil physical properties in urban soils – A concise review, JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT (2020)
- Comparing evapotranspiration rates of tall fescue and bermudagrass in North Carolina, AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT (2019)
- Crop Coefficients for Tall Fescue and Hybrid Bermudagrass in the Transition Zone, CROP FORAGE & TURFGRASS MANAGEMENT (2019)
- Defoliation management and grass growth habits modulated the soil microbial community of turfgrass systems, PLOS ONE (2019)
- Evaluation of Turfgrass Clippings from Mulching Versus Side Discharge Mower Operation, CROP FORAGE & TURFGRASS MANAGEMENT (2019)
- Fraise Mowing as a Spring Transition Aid, CROP FORAGE & TURFGRASS MANAGEMENT (2019)
- Leaf Wetness Influences Turf Colorant Application, CROP FORAGE & TURFGRASS MANAGEMENT (2019)
- Solubility of Ten Iron Fertilizers in Eleven North American Soils, AGRONOMY JOURNAL (2019)