The Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics graduated 47 students on May 12, 2018. Dr. Arnie Oltmans once again served as the “MC” of graduation.
The ceremony also recognized two student awardees.
Alexandra Howell won the Outstanding Scholarship Award. Some of Alex’s many accomplishments are:
- Alex is a Thomas Jefferson Scholar at NC State. As part of that program, Alex served in numerous ways, including as Historian and President.
- Alex was on a team of 3 majors from our department who developed and presented a marketing presentation at the National Grocers’ Association conference in February.
- Alex held 3 consecutive internships at Hanes Companies, Inc., located in Conover, North Carolina, where she worked across 3 departments. During one summer, she completed an entire business portfolio and proposal for a new nonwoven product that spanned 63 pages.
- Alex is receiving two degrees today, our degree in Agricultural Business Management and a degree in Psychology.
- Alex has a perfect GPA. She has a 4.0 in both majors.
Alex has accepted a position at Sageworks in Raleigh where she will be a member of their Product Management team.
Jack Wixson won the Outstanding Research Award. Jack is an important member of a team in our department that conducts research and extension to help ensure that tobacco remains a viable economic commodity for North Carolina. He spent over a year compiling and analyzing data that tobacco farmers can use to make production decisions.
Some of the benefits of Jack’s research are:
- Jack identified hourly labor demands associated with different tasks involved in tobacco production — pre-harvest, harvest/bailing, and post-harvest. That data is essential for budgeting purposes.
- Jack quantified potential cost savings associated with the adoption of labor saving equipment including mechanical toppers, harvesters, and green leaf box loading systems.
- Jack analyzed the economics of growing tobacco in organic systems verses conventional systems.
- Jack developed recommendations for crop rotations to be used with organic tobacco production.
- Jack was on the team with Alex that developed and presented a marketing presentation at the National Grocers’ Association conference.
Jack has accepted a position at BASF in Raleigh on the agricultural sales/marketing team.
Congratulations to Alex, Jack, and all of the graduates and their families!