While the spring semester may seem like a long time ago (blame COVID-19), and the fall semester is just around the corner, PDPS is celebrating the students who persevered through upheaval and graduated in May.
We hope to welcome our newest alumni back when we can. Until then, we want to share their achievements, along with our scholarship and award winners.
In lieu of our traditional student awards banquet and a graduation ceremony, Lynn Worley Davis, Director of Undergraduate Programs, hosted an End of the Year Celebration on May 7 via Zoom. Dr. Worley-Davis, with other academic advisors, presented awards and celebrated graduating students.
The program opened with messages from Richard Linton, CALS Dean, John Dole, CALS Associate Dean and Director of Academic Programs, and Patricia Curtis, PDPS department head.
Student videos finished the online celebration, sharing their thanks and plans, a common part of department end-of-term celebrations.
As we prepare for the fall, we’re taking a moment to send best wishes to our newest graduates as they move forward. They’ll always be part of PDPS and the Wolfpack.
We couldn’t be prouder of their achievements, especially under the pressures of an unprecedented challenge like COVID-19.
Undergraduate student include those finishing Poultry Science degrees and minors in Poultry Science and in Feed Milling.
Elliot Sanders, M.P.S.
Caitlin Evans, M.S. in Poultry Science
Brooke Bartz, Ph.D. in Animal and Poultry Sciences
- Andrea Rubio – John Thomas Brake Memorial Poultry Science Graduate Endowment Award
- Katherine Cupo – Embrex Fellowship Award for Excellence, awarded to a graduate student studying “physiology, immunology and/or molecular biology in the avian species.”
- Ashley Gernat – Feed Science Graduate Certificate
- Alex Blanchard, Amanda Crandall, Makenzie Harden, Meredith Simpson – Freeman W. Cook Scholarship, “in honor of the late Freeman W. Cook,” for service to poultry industry and the Poultry Science Club (PSC) at NC State.
- Justin Gillispie, Lauren Hayes, Elizabeth Horne, Mason Judy, Lily McRee, Gracy Peterson – Robert and Betty Cook for Excellence Scholarship, in honor of former department head Robert E. Cook (served 1969-1985).
- Mikenzly Specht – Frank R. Craig Memorial Scholarship, in honor of Frank R. Craig, former faculty at NC State and later Senior VP of Technical Services with Perdue Farms.
- Elisabeth Ramsey – Daniel Fromm Memorial Scholarship, in honor of Dr. Daniel Fromm, for contributions in the area of food technology research.
- Noah Gurganus, Emily Kearney – William A. “Bill” Little Scholarship, in honor of Bill Little, who served as General Manager of Arbor Acre Farms.
- Danielle Coffey, Sophie Chance – M.B. “Dutch” Gardner Memorial Scholarship, to support and advance the poultry science program and advance the poultry industry in N.C.
- Hayden Brown – Lee and Ruth Herrick Scholarship, for incoming high school seniors enrolled in PDPS.
- Brandon McArthur – Tom Hester Scholarship, in memory of Tom Hester, nutritionist with B&L Fees and strong supporter of PDPS.
- Hannah Lewis – Holly Farms Scholarship, for undergraduates interested in careers in the poultry industry.
- Sydney Souther – Hubbard Farms Scholarship, for students majoring in poultry science and demonstrating outstanding academic merit.
- Shreve Clark, Claire Stewart, Tyler Swiggert – Marvin and Grace Johnson Poultry Scholarship, for undergraduates majoring in poultry science.
- Lillie Austin, Jenna Gore, Haleigh Iannotti, Sarah Johnson, Lane Sykes – H. Connor Kennett and Aldish B. Kennett Scholarship, in honor of the Kennett family’s contributions to the poultry industry.
- Sarah Mason – Joyce Foods Scholarship, in honor of the Poultry Extension team at NC State.
- Story Hix, Giovanna Hutchins – Donald W. Mabe Scholarship, in honor of Don Mabe, NC State alum and later CEO of Perdue Farms.
- Allison Williams – John E. May Memorial Scholarship, in memory of John Edward May, NC State alum.
- Bret Barnes, Cara Garrison, Zach Keeter, Madison Spangle – Tom and Louise Morris Scholarship, in honor of Tom Morris, Poultry Extension faculty for over 30 years.
- Shayanna Mobley – N.C. Hatchery Breeder Association Scholarship, for poultry science majors.
- Raven Colbert – C.F. “Chick” Parrish Scholarship, in honor of Chick Parrish and his 38 years service to PDPS.
- Adonis Merritt – W. Ray Prince Poultry Scholarship, in honor of Dr. Prince, former faculty member and student advisor.
- Cody Burton, Jacob Hinson – Dr. J.B. Ward Memorial Scholarship, in honor of J.B., Poultry Extension faculty member for 18 years.
- Callie Lewis – Jarvis Warren Family Animal Industry Scholarship, in honor of Jarvis Warren’s dedicated service to the growing N.C.’s poultry food industry.
- Sam Cornwell (Wilkes County), Hannah Gentry (Wilkes area) – Wilkes County and Wilkes Area Poultry Association Scholarships, for undergraduates majoring in poultry science, with preference to students from Wilkes and the Wilkes area of N.C.
- Mary Gray Davis, Elizabeth Harper, Carson Haynes, Lilia Jenkins – Carolina Feed Industry Association (CFIA) Scholarship, for students enrolled in or interested in feed milling.
- Jonathan Weavil – Danisco Animal Nutrition Scholarship, for students minoring in feed milling.
- Mary Gray Davis, Noah Starnes – Degussa Scholarship, for students minoring in feed milling.
- Lilia Jenkins – EMC/FEEDER Feed Manufacturing Scholarship, for poultry science students with an interest in feed milling.
- Alex Blanchard, Elizabeth Harper – NC State Feed Science Scholarship, for students minoring in feed milling, students must demonstrate leadership and dedication to pursuing a career in any area of feed manufacturing.
- Alex Blanchard – T.T. Brown Memorial Scholarship, for rising seniors with a history of service to the Poultry Science Club (PSC) and academic achievement, chosen by the PSC.
- Alex Blanchard – Poultry Science Club Member of the Year, chosen by the PSC.
- PSC at the 2020 IPPE – 34 of 40 active members attended and participated. Most returned with internships or job opportunities.
- PSC – College Student Career Program Club of the Year