The Beckstead lab is focused on the prevention and treatment of protozoal diseases in poultry.
Over the past year, the lab has tested over 70 products against
- Histomonas meleagridis,
- Cochlosoma anitis,
- Tetratrichomonas gallinarum,
- Heterakis gallinarum and
- Eimeria sp.
in turkeys and chickens using the isolators in Scott Hall.
Research at the Talley Turkey Education Unit has included
- two battery trials (72 cages) looking at various treatments for blackhead disease,
- two trials identifying the effects of Histomonas meleagridis infection on the microbiome of the turkey,
- one trial determining the effective dose of an industry coccidia vaccine on turkeys,
- one genetic trial aimed at identifying turkeys that are resistant to blackhead disease,
- two trials aimed at identifying biomarkers associated with feed withdrawal in chickens and
- one pen trial that focused on determining if a feed additive can ameliorate the effects of a coccidia challenge in chickens.