The research interests in my laboratory focus on understanding the structure and biosynthesis of plant natural products. Currently, my lab is working on flavonoids, terpenes and alkaloids. We are using a combinatorial approach that includes phytochemistry, metabolomics, molecular biology and biochemistry to understand the structures and biogenesis of these compounds. Meanwhile, we are developing the three groups of metabolites as a platform to study the metabolic biology of plant natural products. We are applying our findings to establish metabolic engineering technology to produce novel natural products for pharmaceuticals or modify crop plants to synthesize natural products for biofuel. We are interested in establishing novel approaches to screen for anti-cancer, anti-malaria, anti-virus and anti-aging natural products.
Ph.D. Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences 1997
M.S. Cytogenetics Beijing Normal University 1993
B.S. Biology Hunan Normal University 1988
Area(s) of Expertise
Phytochemistry, Metabolomics and Metabolic Engineering
- HPLC-qTOF-MS/MS Based Profiling Reveals Anthocyanin Profile Alterations in Berries of Hybrid Muscadine Variety FLH 13-11 in Two Continuous Cropping Seasons , (2024)
- High-Performance Liquid Chromatography–Quadrupole Time-of-Flight Tandem Mass Spectrometry-Based Profiling Reveals Anthocyanin Profile Alterations in Berries of Hybrid Muscadine Variety FLH 13-11 in Two Continuous Cropping Seasons , Agronomy (2024)
- A telomere-to-telomere reference genome provides genetic insight into the pentacyclic triterpenoid biosynthesis in Chaenomeles speciosa , HORTICULTURE RESEARCH (2023)
- Anti-COVID-19 Pandemic Effect of Plant Flavonoids: Use of Green Tea Flavonoids , Journal of Jishou University (NaturalSciencesEdition) (2023)
- Exploring the Prebiotic Activities of Proanthocyanidins on a Platform Using the Three-Dimensionally (3D)-Cultured Organoids , JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE (2023)
- HPLC-MS(n) Applications in the Analysis of Anthocyanins in Fruits , High Performance Liquid Chromatography - Recent Advances and Applications (2023)
- Identification and biosynthesis of plant papanridins, a group of novel oligomeric flavonoids , MOLECULAR PLANT (2023)
- Metabolic engineering of the anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway in Artemisia annua and relation to the expression of the artemisinin biosynthetic pathway , PLANTA (2023)
- Molecular understanding of anthocyanin biosynthesis activated by PAP1 and regulated by 2, 4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid in engineered red Artemisia annua cells , PLANTA (2023)
- Molecular understanding of anthocyanin biosynthesis activated by PAP1 in engineered redArtemisia annuacells and regulation of 2, 4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid , (2023)
Plant lectins are a large group of proteins that do not have catalytic activities. They are carbohydrate-binding proteins that bind sugar groups of proteins, peptides, polysaccharides, lipids, and other glycoconjugates. However, the production of lectins in plants are not high. Under this project, we propose to test different Escherichia coli and expression vectors to induce plant lectins, develop expression induction approaches for a high production, and then establish a combination of tag and affinity-column chromatography methods to isolate lectins.
Borlaug Fellowship Program for Turkey fellow to spend 12 weeks at NC State conducting research to weaken wheat phenylalanine ammonia-lyase gene promotor by homology directed repaid CRISPR-Cas9 technology to obtain more economical and effective biofuel production.
Using antibiotics in feed has become a global concern due to its contribution to the antibiotic resistance. Exploring the alternatives to antibiotics is necessary for human health and animal productive efficiency. Proanthocyanidins extracted from engineered novel plants and cells with biological and medicinal activities will be screened in this project.
Borlaug Fellowship Program for Sri Lanka fellow to spend 12 weeks at NC State conducting research to identify and characterize candidate resistance genes against blister blight disease in teac (Chinese sinensis).
The fellow will work on a topic entitled ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œMetabolomics of cacaoÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â under the mentoring of Dr. Deyu Xie. Through this project, the fellow will learn extraction approaches of metabolites from cacao nuts and chocolate, HPLC-qTOF-MS/MS based metabolomics, structural annotation of metabolites, principal component analysis, and heatmap and hierarchy clustering analysis. The fellow will be instructed to read important literatures to understand the principle of metabolomics. In addition, the fellow will attend XieÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s weekly lab meeting and departmental seminars to gain additional opportunities to learn research progresses in other topics. By the end of this program, the fellow will master main metabolomics-based technology for characterization of functional metabolites in cacao nuts and will be able to develop research projects at their home university.