In Memoriam Gerald H. Elkan
Microbiology has played an important role throughout the history of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Dr. Gerald Elkan joined the then Department of Botany and Bacteriology in 1958. In 1964 the Department of Microbiology was formed from four core faculty (Drs. Dobrogosz, Elkan, Evans and Perry) of the Botany and Bacteriology department, with important, contributing associate members from departments throughout the college. For several years Gerry taught the graduate Microbial Diversity course and was instrumental in garnering an early NIH graduate student training grant. Into the 1990s, Gerry Elkan and his research students contributed to understanding nitrogen fixation by symbiotic rhizobia species, implementation of N-fixing strains in Cameroon, science literature and book exchange with Moldova, and mentoring in the Jefferson and Park Scholars Programs at NC State. Also during his tenure the department’s graduate-only program expanded to include an undergraduate bachelor’s degree program in microbiology. If you’re left with one image of Gerry on campus, it might well be of him in his classic Guayabera shirt!
See a tribute to Gerry Elkan from the Park Scholars program at: