Med Month Celebrates Mediterranean Diet, Lifestyle
Ready to enjoy a way of eating that is great tasting and good for you? Then the simple, delicious and satisfying Mediterranean way of eating may be right for you. Join NC State Extension in celebrating the Med way of eating and living during Med Month, or International Mediterranean Diet Month, by using MedInsteadofMeds.com to help you go Med in May.
Created by NC State Extension and the Community and Clinical Connections for Prevention and Health Branch of the North Carolina Division of Public Health, MedInsteadofMeds.com is filled with recipes and resources that make Med Month a great time of year to start eating the Med way.
The Med way reﬂects a way of eating that is traditional in the countries that surround the Mediterranean Sea and includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, nuts, seeds, and olive oil and limits highly processed foods and added sugar. The Mediterranean diet has been extensively studied and is associated with promoting health and decreasing the risk of many chronic diseases including some forms of cancer, Type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. As such, the Mediterranean way of eating is recommended around the world, including in the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Join the Med Month celebration today by visiting MedInsteadofMeds.com.
Ways to Celebrate Med Month
The resources below will help you go Med in May and beyond:
Share your celebration using #MedMonth or #MedDietMonth on social media:
- Use the hashtag #MedMonth or #MedDietMonth on your social media sites in conjunction with a link to MedInsteadofMeds.com.
- Like, follow and reshare relevant posts from others celebrating #MedMonth. Some social media accounts to consider following: #MedMonth or #MedDietMonth; @NC_FCSExtension; Eat Smart Move More Weigh Less on Twitter, Facebook, Blog, Instagram and Pinterest; Oldways on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest
- NC groups sharing MedInsteadofMeds.com during Med Month: http://workwellnc.com/ and http://myeatsmartmovemore.com/
Share Med way Tools and Recipes from MedInsteadofMeds.com:
- Discover Tips and Tools to help you swap your fats, change your protein, make your grains whole and more.
- Explore the 7 Simple Steps to Eating the Med way.
- Plan your meals using the ‘Cook This, Buy That’ tool.
- Study the Science of Eating Med.
- Suggest Med way recipes for Meatless Mondays & Salmon Saturdays.
- Host a Med Instead of Meds webinar or video viewing party.
Consider Oldwayspt.org Med Month Resources:
- Take the quiz and find out – How Mediterranean is your diet?
- Make each day Mediterranean using the Med Month Calendar.
- Highlight 3 Good Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet.
- Tweet about eating and living the Med way.
Pursue a Med Lifestyle:
- Incorporate more activity minutes into your day by adding small chunks of exercise, five to ten minutes at a time, to your routine.
- Participate in a Screen-free Week or Day by unplugging and getting out of the house. Take a class at a community center, go bowling or mini-golfing, hike a nature preserve or park.
- Enjoy a meal with friends or family by taking time to eat and enjoy each other’s company.
Med Instead of Meds: