For those who don’t know, the campus has rolled out the new Oracle Identity Manager (OIM). This project impacted password management, specifically:
- Self-Service Password changes (ncsu.edu/password),
- Self-Service UIA (User Identification and Authorization), where folks can enter and maintain security challenge and response questions (at ncsu.edu/uia), and
- Self-Service Password resets, New!
As part of this roll-out, all previous User Identification and Authorization (UIA) challenge and response questions created prior to May 9, 2017, are no longer valid and new ones need to be set.
Please go to ncsu.edu/uia to set up new questions and answers.
Why are UIA questions important?
- If you forget your password, you can now go into the system and do self-service password resets! But you must have your UIA challenge and response questions set first. No more having to call the OIT Helpdesk or go to the walk-in center. See ncsu.edu/password.
- With 2-factor enabled, if for some reason you cannot retrieve a code, you may call the helpdesk and provide an answer to one of the questions, and they will supply a temporary code to get you into your email or campus resource.
So, if you previously had UIA challenge and response questions set, please set up new ones. If you didn’t have UIA challenge and response questions set, go ahead and complete this step now. It is just one level of additional safety for your unity account and provides self-help in case you need a reset.
Finish securing your accounts:
If you are on-campus and you haven’t already done so, go ahead and finish securing your accounts by registering for 2-factor authentication (2FA) for Google and Duo for Shibboleth for campus resources. For more information on setting up 2FA, on-campus CALS faculty and staff may visit go.ncsu.edu/caat-2fa.
Extension IT (EIT) prefers if county-based Extension personnel wait for EIT to assist in a face-to-face setting. EIT will attend organizational meetings and visit county extension centers to ensure everyone completes their 2FA enrollments before the deadline. EIT will contact you as upcoming 2FA enrollment opportunities arise.