Area(s) of Expertise
Joining the NC State University floriculture program in 2015, Dr. Bergmann continues his career in plant science research that has ranged from the basic (somatic embryogenesis in Aesculus) to the applied (use of Paulownia foliage for goat fodder) and from the laboratory bench (microprojectile-mediated gene transfer to Pinus cotyledons) to the whole-ecosystem level (biodiversity and productivity of sustainable agro-ecosystems). Ben’s current research focuses on postharvest challenges in cut flowers, especially in regard to Botrytis cinerea susceptibility and ethylene sensitivity. Since his arrival at NC State University, Ben has conducted postharvest research with cut roses, chrysanthemums, snapdragons, gerberas, and dahlias.
- Bergmann, BA, JM Dole, P Fisher, G Njue, I McCall. 2017. Gibberellic acid promotes flower stem elongation in ‘Renaissance Red’ poinsettia. Can J Plant Sci 97:14-16.
- Bergmann, BA, JM Dole, P Fisher, G Njue, I McCall. 2016. Gibberellic acid promotes flower stem elongation in ‘Renaissance Red’ poinsettia. Can J Plant Sci 97:14-16.
- Crawford, BD, JM Dole, BA Bergmann. 2016. Influences of season and cutting week within a propagation cycle on rooting of ‘Stained Glass’ coleus shoot tip cuttings are not overcome by rooting compound treatment. HortTechnology 26(5):620-627.
- Bergmann, BA, JM Dole, I McCall. 2016. Gibberellic Acid Shows Promise for Promoting Flower Stem Length in Four Field-grown, Cut Flowers. HortTechnology 26(3):287-292.
- Leatherwood, WR, JM Dole, BA Bergmann, JE Faust. 2016. 1-Methylcyclopropene Improves Ethylene Tolerance of Unrooted Herbaceous Cuttings but Delays Adventitious Root Development in Angelonia, Calibrachoa, Impatiens, Portulaca, Sutera, and Verbena Cultivars. HortScience 51(2):164-170.
- Bergmann, B. 2003. Five years of Paulownia field trials in North Carolina. New Forests 25(3):185199.
- Cheng, J, L Landesman, BA Bergmann, JJ Classen, JW Howard, YT Yamamoto. 2002. Nutrient removal from swine lagoon liquid by Lemna minor 8627. Trans Am Soc Agric Eng. 45(4):10031010.
- Cheng, J, BA Bergmann, JJ Classen, AM Stomp, JW Howard. 2002. Nutrient recovery from swine lagoon water by Spirodela punctata. Bioresource Technology 81:8185.
- Yamamoto, YT, N Rajbhandari, XH Lin, BA Bergmann, Y Nishimura, AM Stomp. 2001. Genetic transformation of duckweed Lemna gibba and Lemna minor. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology – Plant 37: 349353.
- Luginbuhl, JM, JP Mueller, BA Bergmann. 2001. Mineral concentration of herbage from three Paulownia species used for goat browse. In: JA Gomide, WRS Mattos, SC da Silva (Eds.) Grassland Ecosystems: an Outlook into the 21st Century. pp 654655. XIX International Grassland Congress. São Pedro, São Paulo. Brazil.
- Bergmann, BA, J Cheng, J Classen, AM Stomp. 2000. Nutrient removal from swine lagoon effluent by duckweed. Trans Am Soc Agric Eng. 43(2):263269.
- Bergmann, BA, J Cheng, J Classen, AM Stomp. 2000. In vitro selection of duckweed geographic isolates for potential use in swine lagoon effluent renovation. Bioresource Technology 73(1):1320.
- Bergmann, BA, X Lin, R Whetten. 1999. Susceptibility of Paulownia elongata to Agrobacterium and production of transgenic calli and hairy roots by in vitro inoculation. Plant Cell Tiss Org Cult 55:4551.
- House, CH, BA Bergmann, AM Stomp, DJ Frederick. 1999. Combining constructed wetlands and aquatic and soil filters for reclamation and reuse of water. Ecological Engineering 12(12):2738.
- Bergmann, BA. 1998. Propagation method influences first year survival and growth of Paulownia. New Forests 16(3):251264.
- Bergmann, BA, R Whetten. 1998. In vitro rooting and early greenhouse growth of micropropagated Paulownia elongata shoots. New Forests 15(2):127138.
- Bergmann, BA, J Dukes, AM Stomp. 1997. Infection of Pinus radiata with Agrobacterium rhizogenes and longterm growth of detached hairy roots in vitro. N Z J For Sci 7(1):1122.
- Bergmann, BA, AR Rubin, CR Campbell. 1997. Potential of Paulownia elongata trees for swine waste remediation. Trans Amer Soc Ag Eng 40(6):17331738.
- Bergmann, BA, HK Moon. 1997. In vitro adventitious shoot production in Paulownia. Plant Cell Rep 16(5):315320.
- Bergmann , BA, YH Sun, AM Stomp. 1997. In vitro growth of apical buds from two year old seedlings of Fraser fir as influenced by bud harvest time and nitrogen source. HortScience 32(1):125128.
- Bergmann, BA, WP Hackett, H Pellett. 1996. Somatic embryogenesis in Aesculus. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Plant 32:161164.
- Bergmann, BA, SD Carson, AM Stomp. 1995. Heritability of in vitro characteristics and correlation with field performance in Pinus radiata. Can J For Res. 25:19441952.
- Lin, X, BA Bergmann, AM Stomp. 1995. Effect of medium physical support, shoot length and genotype on in vitro rooting and plantlet morphology of sweetgum. J Environ Hort 13(3):117121.
- Bergmann, BA, AM Stomp. 1994. Family and clonal variation in susceptibility of Pinus radiata to Agrobacterium tumefaciens in relation to in vitro shoot growth rate. N Z J For Sci 24(1):310.
- Bergmann, BA, AM Stomp. 1994. Effect of genotype on in vitro adventitious shoot formation in Pinus radiata and correlations between pairs of phenotypic traits during in vitro shoot development. Plant Cell Tiss Org Cult 39:185194.
- Bergmann, BA, AM Stomp. 1994. Effect of genotype on rooting of hypocotyls and adventitious shoots of Pinus radiata. Plant Cell Tiss Org Cult 39:195202.
- Bergmann, BA, AM Stomp. 1992. Pinus radiata host plant genotype influence on susceptibility to Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Phytopathology 82(12):14571462.
- Bergmann, BA, AM Stomp. 1992. Influence of taxonomic relatedness and medium composition on meristematic nodule and adventitious shoot formation in nine pine species. Can J For Res 22:750755.
- Chesick, EE, BA Bergmann. 1991. Jack Pine (Pinus lambertiana Lamb.). In: Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry, Vol 16, Trees III. Bajaj ed. Springer Verlag, New York:241253.
- Bergmann, BA, H Pellett, WP Hackett. 1988. Aesculus ‘Autumn Splendor’. HortScience 24(1):180181.
- Bergmann, BA, WP Hackett, H Pellett. 1988. Comparison of stem cuttings from seedlings of Aesculus sp. and mature Aesculus × arnoldiana ‘Autumn Splendor’. J Environ Hort 6(2):6971.
- Armitage, AM, BA Bergmann, EL Bell. 1987. Effect of daminozide and light intensity on growth and flowering of calendula as a potted plant. HortScience 22(4):611612
- Gibberellic acid promotes flower stem elongation in 'Renaissance Red' poinsettia (2017)
- Influences of season and cutting week within a propagation cycle on rooting of 'stained glass' coleus shoot tip cuttings are not overcome by rooting compound treatment (2016)
- Gibberellic acid shows promise for promoting flower stem length in four field-grown cut flowers (2016)
- 1-methylcyclopropene improves ethylene tolerance of unrooted herbaceous cuttings but delays adventitious root development in angelonia, calibrachoa, impatiens, portulaca, sutera, and verbena cultivars (2016)
- Five years of Paulownia field trials in North Carolina (2003)
- Expression of endoglucanase E1 in transgenic duckweed Lemna minor (2002)
- Nutrient removal from swine lagoon liquid by Lemna minor 8627 (2002)
- Nutrient recovery from swine lagoon water by Spirodela punctata (2002)
- Genetic transformation of duckweed Lemna gibba and Lemna minor (2001)
- Establishment and early growth characteristics of six Paulownia genotypes for goat browse in Raleigh, NC, USA (2001)
PhD, Forestry/Genetics, North Carolina State University (1992)
MS, Horticulture/Plant Physiology, University of Minnesota (1987)
BS, Horticulture/Spanish, University of Georgia (1984)