Schaub Food Science Building, Room 236D
Peanut Quality and Flavor, Food Lipid Chemistry, Nutritional Analysis, Isolation, Identification and Validation of Small Molecule Bioactive Compounds from All Parts of Peanut Plants.
Certified Food Scientist, IFT
- Member, American Chemical Society
- Member, Association of Official Analytical Chemists
- Member, Institute of Food Technologists (Dogwood Section Chair, 2011-2012)
- Member, The Guard Society
- Member, American Peanut Research and Education Society
- Member, American Oil Chemists Society
- USDA Certificate of Appreciation, 2003
- Elected Gamma Sigma Delta, May 1997
- Elected Phi Tau Sigma, March 1996
- Amy Rextrew Award (Outstanding Graduate Student in the College of Food, Nutrition and Consumer Sciences), University of Delaware, 1989
- Woman of Distinction Award, University of Delaware, 1989
- Outstanding Performance Award, National Institute on Aging, NIH, PHS, 1987
- U.S. Patents: Keown, R.W., Malone, C.P., and Oehrl (Dean), L.L. Prevention of fabric staining. U.S. Patent No. 5,096,726, 1992.
- 2005-present: Research Food Technologist, USDA, MQHRU, Professor, Department of Food, Bioprocessing and Nutritional Sciences, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
- 2001-2005: Food Technologist (Support Scientist), USDA, ARS MQHRU, Raleigh, NC
- 1999-2000: Post-Doctoral Researcher, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
- 1990-1999: Senior Food Chemist, Southern Testing and Research Laboratories, Wilson, NC
- 1983-1988: Physical Science Technician, National Institute on Aging, NIH, Baltimore, MD
- 1982: Spectroscopist, General Refractories Company, Baltimore, MD
- Butts, C.L., Dean, L.L., Hendrix, K.W., Arias, R.S., Sorensen, R.B., Lamb, M.C. 2021. Storing shelled peanuts in PICS bags. Peanut Sci. Accepted February 1, 2021.
- Gimode, D., Chu, Y., Dean, L.L., Holbrook, C.C., Fonceka, D., Ozias-Aikens, P. 2020. Seed composition survey of a peanut CSSL population reveals introgression lines with elevated oleic/linoleic profile. Peanut Sci. 37:139-149. https://doi.org/10.3146/PS20-17.1
- Dean, L.L. 2020. Extracts of peanut skins as a source of bioactive compounds-Methodology and applications. Appl. Sci. 10:8546. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/app10238546.
- Kaufman, A. A., Jordan, D. L., Reberg-Horton, C., Dean, L. L., Shew, B. B., Brandenberg, R. L., Anco, J. D., Mehl, H., Taylor, S., Balota, M., Goodell, L. S., and Allen, J. C. 2020. Identifying interest, risks, and impressions of organic peanut production: A survey of conventional farmers in the Virginia-Carolina region. Crop, For. Turf. Man. 6:e20042. https://doi-org.prox.lib.ncsu.edu/10.1002/cft2.20042.
- Dean, L. L., Eickholt, C. M., LaFountain, L. J., and Hendrix, K. W. 2020. Effects of maturity on the development of oleic acid and linoleic acid in the four peanut market types. J. Food Res. 9(4):1-9. https://doi.org/10.5539/jfr.v9n4p1.
- Christman, L. M., Dean, L. L., Allen, J. C., Feng, S. G. and Toomer, O. T. 2019. Peanut skin phenolic extract attenuates hyperglycemic responses in vivo and in vitro. PLOS ONE. 14(3):e0214591. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0214591.
- Klevorn, C.M., Dean, L.L., and Johanningsmeier, S.D. 2019. Metabolite profiles of raw peanut seeds reveal differences between market-types. J. Food Sci. 84 (3):397-405. DOI: 10.1111/1750-3841.14450.
- Dean, L.L. 2018. Targeted and non-targeted analyses of secondary metabolites in nut and seed processing. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Tech. 120(11): 1700479 (1-14). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.201700479.
- Christman, L., Dean, L., Bueno, C., and Weissburg, J. 2018. Acceptance of peanut skins as a natural antioxidant in coated peanuts. J. Food Sci., 83 (10):2571-2577. https://doi-org.prox.lib.ncsu.edu/10.1111/1750-3841.14323.
- Klevorn, C.M., and Dean, L.L. 2018. A metabolomics-based approach identifies changes in the small molecular weight compound composition of the peanut as a result of dry-roasting. Food Chem. 240:1192-2000.
- Shi, X., Dean, L.L., Sandeep, K.P., Sanders, T.H. and Davis, J.P. 2018. The effects of different dry roast parameters on peanut quality using an industrial belt-type roaster simulator. Food Chem. 240:974-979. DOI.10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.07.130.
- Griffin, L.E., and Dean, L.L. 2017. Nutrient composition of raw, dry-roasted, and skin-on cashew nuts. J. Food Res. 6(6):13-28.
- Shi, X., Sandeep, K.P., Davis, J.P., Sanders, T. H., and Dean, L.L. 2016. Kinetics of color development of peanuts during dry roasting using a batch roaster. J. Food Proc. Eng. 40(3):e12498. DOI:10.1111/jfpe.12498.
- Shi, X., Davis, J.P., Xia, Z., Sandeep, K.P., Sanders, T.H., and Dean, L.L. 2017. Characterization of peanuts after dry roasting, oil roasting, and blister frying. LWT. 75:520-528. DOI:10.106/jlwt2016.09.030.
- Griffin, L.G., Drake, M.A., and Dean, L.L. 2017. The development of a lexicon for cashew nuts. Journal of Sensory Studies. 32:e12244.
- Dean, L.L., Massie, B.J., and Klevorn, C.M. 2016. Minimizing the negative flavor attributes in chocolate fortified with peanut skin extract using response surface methodology. J. Food Sci. 81(11):/S2824-S2830.
- Davis, J.P., Price, K.M., Dean, L.L., Sweigart, D.S., Cottonaro, J.M., and Sanders, T.H. 2016. Peanut oil stability and physical properties across a range of industrially relevant O/L ratios. Peanut Sci. 43(1):1-11.
- Klevorn, C.E., Hendrix, K.W., Davis, J.P., Sanders, T.H., and Dean, L.L. 2016. Development of lipid components in normal and high-oleic peanuts. Peanut Sci. 43(1):12-23.
- Dean, L.L., Constanza, K.E., Tallury, S.P., Whaley, J.D., and T.H. Sanders. 2015. Essential oils from leaves of edible peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) and perennial peanut (Arachis glabrata Benth. and Arachis pintoi) plants. J. Essen. Oil Bear. Plants. 18(3):605-612.
- Isleib, T.G., Pattee, H.E., Tubbs, R.S., Sanders, T.H., Dean, L.O., and Hendrix, K.W. 2015. Intensities of sensory attributes in High- and Normal-Oleic cultivars in the Uniform Peanut Performance Test. Peanut Sci. 42:83-91.
- Plundrich, N., White, B., Dean, L., Davis, J., Foegeding, E., Lila, M. 2015. Stability and immunogenicity of hypoallergenic peanut protein-polyphenol complexes during in vitro pepsin digestion. Food Func. 6:2145-2154.
Ph.D., Food Science, Nutrition Minor, North Carolina State University (1999)
M.S., Food Science and Nutrition, University of Delaware (1989)
B.S., Chemistry , Towson State University (1981)