Area(s) of Expertise
I teach the following courses:
- Process Validation Science (BBS 301) – Fall semester only
- Upstream Biomanufacturing Laboratory (BBS/BEC 426/526) – Fall and Spring semesters
- Introduction to Brewing Science and Technology (BBS/FS 325) – Spring semester only
I am the coordinator for the undergraduate Bioprocessing Science program and Director of the Wolfpack Brewery since 2006. Our research brewery supplies samples of our products to over 50 NC State campus events per year and has been awarded two ribbons (2012 and 2013) at the NC Brewers’ Cup. I am the principal faculty mentor for Bioprocessing Science students enrolled in the capstone course FS 475 and each year provide guest lectures in courses FS 231 and FS 405.
- Professional Engineers of Ontario
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering
- American Society of Brewing Chemists (journal editorial board)
- Master Brewers Association of America
- An Introduction to Brewing and Fermentation Science. Sheppard, J.D. editor. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2021.
- Madden, A.A., Epps, M.J., Fukami, T., Irwin, R.E., Sheppard, J., Sorger, M.D., Dunn, R.R. The ecology of insect-yeast relationships and its relevance to human industry. Proc. R. Soc. B. 285:2017233. 2018.
- Vann, L. and Sheppard J., Use of near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRs) in the biopharmaceutical industry for real-time determination of critical process parameters and integration of advance feedback control strategies using MIDUS control. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 44:1589-1603. 2017.
- Vann, L.R., Layfield, J.B. and Sheppard, J.D., The application of near-infrared spectroscopy in beer fermentation for on-line monitoring of critical process parameters and their integration into a novel feedforward strategy. J. Inst. Brew. DOI 10.1002/jiib.440. 2017.
- Layfield, J.B. and Sheppard, J.D., What brewers should know about viability, vitality, and overall brewing fitness: a mini-review. MBAA TQ 52 (3):132-14. 2015.
- Layfield, J.B, Vann, L.R. and Sheppard, J.D., A Novel Method of Inducing and Retaining Cell Cycle Synchronization in Cultures of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Amer. Soc. Brewing Chem. 72(2):102-109. 2014.
- John D. Sheppard, Robert R. Dunn and Anne Madden. Methods for the Production of Fermented Beverages and Other Fermented Products. US Patent filed Oct. 15, 2017, based on PCT/US2016/032403, filed May 13, 2016.
- John D. Sheppard and Kartik Madiraju. Generation of Electropotential Using Bacterial Culture, US Patent 7,749,727. July 6, 2010.
- John D. Sheppard and David G. Cooper. Low Temperature Thermal-Chemical Pretreatment Process for Peat Dewatering, US Patent 4,720,287. Jan. 19, 1988.
- D. Lindsay Mulholland and John D. Sheppard. Separation of volatiles from aqueous solutions by gas stripping, US Patent 4,703,007, Oct. 27, 1987.
M.B.A, International Management, European School of Business, Paris (1997)
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, McGill University (1989)
M.E.Sc., Biochemical Engineering, University of Western Ontario (1979)
B.Sc. (Eng), Biological/Biosystems Engineering, University of Guelph (1976)