Area(s) of Expertise
I teach the following courses:
- Process Validation Science (BBS 301) – Fall semester only
- Upstream Biomanufacturing Laboratory (BBS/BEC 426/526) – Fall and Spring semesters
- Introduction to Brewing Science and Technology (BBS/FS 325) – Spring semester only
I am the coordinator for the undergraduate Bioprocessing Science program and Director of the Wolfpack Brewery since 2006. Our research brewery supplies samples of our products to over 50 NC State campus events per year and has been awarded two ribbons (2012 and 2013) at the NC Brewers’ Cup. I am the principal faculty mentor for Bioprocessing Science students enrolled in the capstone course FS 475 and each year provide guest lectures in courses FS 231 and FS 405.
- Professional Engineers of Ontario
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering
- American Society of Brewing Chemists (journal editorial board)
- Master Brewers Association of America
- John D. Sheppard, Robert R. Dunn and Anne Madden. Methods for the Production of Fermented Beverages and Other Fermented Products. US Patent filed Oct. 15, 2017, based on PCT/US2016/032403, filed May 13, 2016.
- John D. Sheppard and Kartik Madiraju. Generation of Electropotential Using Bacterial Culture, US Patent 7,749,727. July 6, 2010.
- John D. Sheppard and David G. Cooper. Low Temperature Thermal-Chemical Pretreatment Process for Peat Dewatering, US Patent 4,720,287. Jan. 19, 1988.
- D. Lindsay Mulholland and John D. Sheppard. Separation of volatiles from aqueous solutions by gas stripping, US Patent 4,703,007, Oct. 27, 1987.
M.B.A, International Management, European School of Business, Paris (1997)
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, McGill University (1989)
M.E.Sc., Biochemical Engineering, University of Western Ontario (1979)
B.Sc. (Eng), Biological/Biosystems Engineering, University of Guelph (1976)