College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Calendar
Photography Walk: Abstract Macro Photography
- This event has passed.
“Abstract Macro Photography”
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
Have you ever wanted to get as close to the heart of a flower as a honeybee does? As you enter into this inner world, images become abstract—emphasizing the features of color, line, and texture inherent in a single flower. In this session, Mary Louise will explain the photography techniques and creative approach needed to make unique abstract close-up images. Embrace your creativity as you practice extreme close-up techniques in the indoor classroom using cut flowers you bring.
What to bring
- Suitable for traditional cameras (DSLR and mirror-less) and smartphones.
- At least one of the following for traditional cameras:
- Zoom or fixed focal length Lens with a focal length over 70mm combined with either extension tubes or close-up diopters to enable close focusing. (See January photo walk for recommendations.)
- Macro lens (90mm or longer focal length)
- Smartphone users will need to have an accessory macro lens (e.g. 10x or greater magnification – Mary Louise I recommends lenses by Sirui, Moment, or Olloclip)
- A tripod is required since we will be photographing indoors, potentially at shutter speeds too slow for hand-holding without blur. A tripod ball head is preferable for ease of positioning.
- Smartphone users can use a smartphone tripod adapter (Mary Louise recommends meFoto)
- Cut flowers or similar (for practice). Bring a vase, flower frog, or floral foam to hold flowers. Deep flowers (e.g. lily, alstroemeria, etc.) provides easier practice opportunities
- Bagged lunch
Cost: $30.00 for members, $40.00 for nonmembers.
Registration: Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 12 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
Cancellation: Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program’s start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.