Dr. Dewey received his graduate training in Plant Molecular Biology at North Carolina State University with Dr. C. S. Levings III and Dr. David Timothy as his mentors. Funded by an NSF postdoctoral fellowship, Dr. Dewey received additional experience at the Waksman Institute, Rutgers University under the direction of Dr. Daniel F. Klessig. Since 1991, Dr. Dewey has applied the techniques of molecular biology toward the identification and characterization of genes of potential agronomic value as a faculty member in the Department of Crop Science, NCSU.
He team teaches the course Molecular Biology in Plant Breeding (CS/GN/HS 720) together with Dr. Rongda Qu.
- Genetic and Agronomic Analysis of Tobacco Genotypes Exhibiting Reduced Nicotine Accumulation Due to Induced Mutations in Berberine Bridge Like (BBL) Genes, FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE (2020)
- Characterization of Nicotiana tabacum genotypes possessing deletion mutations that affect potyvirus resistance and the production of trichome exudates, BMC Genomics (2018)
- Expression of a constitutively active nitrate reductase variant in tobacco reduces tobacco-specific nitrosamine accumulation in cured leaves and cigarette smoke, Plant Biotechnology Journal (2016)
- Overexpression of ubiquitin-like LpHUB1 gene confers drought tolerance in perennial ryegrass, Plant Biotechnology Journal (2015)
- Transgenic and mutation-based suppression of a berberine bridge enzyme-Like (BBL) gene family reduces alkaloid content in field-grown tobacco, PLoS One (2015)
- Mapping the low palmitate fap1 mutation and validation of its effects in soybean oil and agronomic traits in three soybean populations, Theoretical and Applied Genetics (2014)
- (R)-nicotine biosynthesis, metabolism and translocation in tobacco as determined by nicotine demethylase mutants, Phytochemistry (2013)
- Enhanced Agrobacterium-mediated transformation efficiencies in monocot cells is associated with attenuated defense responses, Plant Molecular Biology (2013)
- Enhancing Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation efficiency of perennial ryegrass and rice using heat and high maltose treatments during bacterial infection, Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture (2013)
- Molecular genetics of alkaloid biosynthesis in Nicotiana tabacum, Phytochemistry (2013)