We are interested in understanding the nature of genetic variation within maize (field corn),Zea mays:
- How is genetic variation distributed among and within temperate inbred lines, temperate landraces, tropical inbred lines, and tropical accessions?
- Are there unique allelic variants in exotic, tropical maize that are absent from the U.S. breeding pool?
- Which genomic regions are associated with phenotypic variance for important agronomic traits (grain yield, flowering time, plant height, disease resistance)?
- How do allelic variations at different loci interact in their effects on phenotypes (is epistasis important, and how does it ramify from genic interactions to phenotypic interactions)?
- What are the most efficient breeding procedures for incorporating unique and favorable alleles from unadapted genetic backgrounds into well-adapted temperate lines?
- Can DNA marker-assisted selection aid us in this task?
In addition, we have a program to identify the genetic basis of resistance to corn ear rot caused by Fusarium fungal species and of resistance to the accumulation of the mycotoxin, fumonisin, caused by the fungus.
- Optimal Designs for Genomic Selection in Hybrid Crops, MOLECULAR PLANT (2019)
- Accounting for genotype-by-environment interactions and residual genetic variation in genomic selection for water-soluble carbohydrate concentration in wheat, G3-Genes Genomes Genetics (2018)
- Defining the role of the MADS-box gene, Zea Agamous-like1, a target of selection during maize domestication, Journal of Heredity (2018)
- Dissecting Symptomatology and Fumonisin Contamination Produced by Fusarium verticillioides in Maize Ears, PHYTOPATHOLOGY (2018)
- Ecogeography of teosinte, PLoS One (2018)
- Plant Genetics: Two Steps on the Path to Maize Adaptation, CURRENT BIOLOGY (2018)
- Enhancing genomic prediction with genome-wide association studies in multiparental maize populations, Heredity (2017)
- Genome-wide associations for water-soluble carbohydrate concentration and relative maturity in wheat using SNP and DArT marker arrays, G3-Genes Genomes Genetics (2017)
- Genomic estimation of complex traits reveals ancient maize adaptation to temperate North America, Science (2017)
- High-throughput resequencing of maize landraces at genomic regions associated with flowering time, PLoS One (2017)